Callum Wilson - windfall (1 Viewer)

Rusty Trombone

Any suggestion as to what the add on's were?
I'm afraid not, I doubt any club would give all the details out. I think the 10% of sell on profit has been confirmed, but that's all.

If Bournemouth do sell two players to a club I wonder if they can just down value Wilson and increase the value on the other player to get around paying us 10%.

Grendel

Grendel

I'm afraid not, I doubt any club would give all the details out. I think the 10% of sell on profit has been confirmed, but that's all.

If Bournemouth do sell two players to a club I wonder if they can just down value Wilson and increase the value on the other player to get around paying us 10%.

Well Southampton did that once and Bournemouth lost out

Grendel

I don't think Arsenal gave Southampton a bonus just because they got promoted. If anything gives Southampton more leverage it's their reputation in the transfer market for acquiring top dollar when selling. Us on the other hand have a reputation of letting contracts run down and losing them for free or taking the first offer that comes along.

In that case why didn't arsenal buy Wilson - you clearly know more than any premier league scout, coach or manager. At such a knock down fee still no one was interested were they?

skybluetony176

In that case why didn't arsenal buy Wilson - you clearly know more than any premier league scout, coach or manager. At such a knock down fee still no one was interested were they?

No I don't know more than premier league scout, manager or coach. I do know more than the ones on here who was saying he was a one season wonder and it was a good price. He clearly wasn't and it clearly wasn't.

As for no one being interested at a knock down fee. It sounds like you're advocating the sale of the Ricoh at a knock down price as no one else was interested...

...no, thought not. Yet it's the same principle.

Grendel

Tou
No I don't know more than premier league scout, manager or coach. I do know more than the ones on here who was saying he was a one season wonder and it was a good price. He clearly wasn't and it clearly wasn't.

As for no one being interested at a knock down fee. It sounds like you're advocating the sale of the Ricoh at a knock down price as no one else was interested...

...no, thought not. Yet it's the same principle.

You've failed to answer the question and as usual gone on a juvenile rant.

Why didn't any premier league club think he was worth it? Are they wrong?

You never saw him play did you?

skybluetony176

Tou

You've failed to answer the question and as usual gone on a juvenile rant.

Why didn't any premier league club think he was worth it? Are they wrong?

You never saw him play did you?

Probably the same reason no premier club thought Vardy was good enough. Were they right?

If a bidding war breaks out for Wilson and there's plenty of talk to suggest there might be then yes they initially missed the boat.

As I boycotted Sixfields no I didn't get to see him play. Saw him on highlights only and there was plenty of them.

He clearly wasn't a one season wonder, he was clearly going to tear the championship a new A hole and based on that he was clearly going to step up to life in the premier league. He hit the ground running including scoring the first hat trick of the premier league season. None of which came as a surprise to me while others were claiming he was a one season wonder in league one who wouldn't cut it in the championship and then wouldn't cut it in the premier league.

Grendel

Probably the same reason no premier club thought Vardy was good enough. Were they right?

If a bidding war breaks out for Wilson and there's plenty of talk to suggest there might be then yes they initially missed the boat.

As I boycotted Sixfields no I didn't get to see him play. Saw him on highlights only and there was plenty of them.

He clearly wasn't a one season wonder, he was clearly going to tear the championship a new A hole and based on that he was clearly going to step up to life in the premier league. He hit the ground running including scoring the first hat trick of the premier league season. None of which came as a surprise to me while others were claiming he was a one season wonder in league one who wouldn't cut it in the championship and then wouldn't cut it in the premier league.

No transfer fees are all paid in season one. Clubs pay over a number of years the agreed fee. We have paid a reasonable fee for Jones but the fee will be staggered over the duration of the contract.

Rusty Trombone

No transfer fees are all paid in season one. Clubs pay over a number of years the agreed fee. We have paid a reasonable fee for Jones but the fee will be staggered over the duration of the contract.
The sale value will be recorded in the year they are sold, regardless of when the cash comes in. It would only be when an add on gets triggered and becomes payable that you'd record that amount.

Grendel

The sale value will be recorded in the year they are sold, regardless of when the cash comes in. It would only be when an add on gets triggered and becomes payable that you'd record that amount.

In the accounts I can't see how that's possible. What if the purchasing club folded?

Nick

Administrator
What happens if the add on never happened? You would be paying tax on something that never happened?

Grendel

You'd write it off as a bad debt, and hope you've got some other security in place.
I think that's very unlikely and would surely have to show as a creditor on a balance sheet. Also it would make it very easy to work out the undisclosed fees.

Do you know this as a fact?

DazzleTommyDazzle

I'm not aware of there being an accounting standard on football transfers, so I'd expect the accounting to be based on normal principles.

On that basis I'd expect that the entirety of the "fixed fee" (i.e. not dependant on anything happening in future) would be recognised when the contract was signed. This would include any element with extended payment terms, with the "other side of the entry" being shown as a debtor on the balance sheet until paid.

As noted above, if the buying club then defaulted on the extended term payments, this would be written off as a bad debt, so reducing profits (or in most football clubs' cases, increasing losses) in the year of default.

I'd expect any "add on" payments (i.e. dependant on something happening in the future) to be treated as contingent assets and not be recognised in the accounts until the relevant event(s) happened, because of their inherent uncertainty.

fernandopartridge

Having watched Wilson at Old Trafford last night I wouldn't hold my breath for a massive windfall. I thought he was poor, first touch often dreadful. That said, Bournemouth were poor all round and United are strong defensively.

chiefdave

Having watched Wilson at Old Trafford last night I wouldn't hold my breath for a massive windfall. I thought he was poor, first touch often dreadful. That said, Bournemouth were poor all round and United are strong defensively.

To be fair it was a totally meaningless game so probably not the best to judge him on.

Rusty Trombone

I think that's very unlikely and would surely have to show as a creditor on a balance sheet. Also it would make it very easy to work out the undisclosed fees.

Do you know this as a fact?
Tommy has pretty much said it all, but to expand on the contingent asset part, the 2015 accounts said we could potentially receive up to £615k depending on whether the player (not named, but player rather than players so must only be Wilson) and their club attain certain objectives. Those objectives hadn't been met by 31.5.15 so the amounts weren't included in the accounts.

If a club only sells one player then yes it would be easy to see the undisclosed fee. In 14/15 we received £2.7m from sales, this included Wilson and Christie (and I think we may have got some add on amounts for him within the £2.7m), can't remember if we sold anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread