Callum O’hare (1 Viewer)

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Hamer and Gyokeres at least waited to see if that could be with us.
I think different being in contract versus one expiring, he hasn't actually said he wont stay with us if we went up, he may then sign a deal.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I still challenge any on here - if you had been off sick for 6 months and your employer had paid you (as per your contractual rights) you came back more upskilled because you had been learning online or whatever and then had the chance to get a significant one off signing on fee and then treble/quadruple your wages and the chance to possibly work alongside better individuals in a company at a higher level - would you stay with your existing company????

Its the game now and agents will be encouraging every player to let their contracts run until the end

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I still challenge any on here - if you had been off sick for 6 months and your employee had paid you (as per your contractual rights) you came back more upskilled because you had been learning online or whatever and then had the chance to get a significant one off signing on fee and then treble/quadruple your wages and the chance to possibly work alongside better individuals in a company at a higher level - would you stay with your existing company????

Its the game now and agents will be encouraging every player to let their contracts run until the end
I don't think footballers improve much when they're off sick watching YouTube clips.

Last edited:

zuni

We signed him on a free.....

Hes played over 100 games for us, scored some top goals, made some more goals, helped win a promotion, often been a joy to watch.....

So if he leaves on a free, Fair enough.

Thanks Callum. Good Luck.

All true but we improve by investing on assets, despite grendel saying he owes city nothing we only need him to sign with get out clause to repay the club for the year out, the development and the opportunity...great lad, great player but this will in my view tarnish his time with us...such a pity...even if we only got a mill....we need every penny to develop further

Sick Boy

What annoys me a bit is that he suffered a very serious injury that could have ended his career and yet after working with the club to get back to fitness he clearly sets himself above the rest of the team and wants out .
There is no loyalty in football and perhaps he feels his injury was a wake up call to the notion that you have to take every opportunity you get to take what you can because tomorrow it might be gone .

On the other hand he might have thought he should be grateful to be where he is, given his recent injury and sign for another season to really make a go of it and see who comes in from the premier league beyond that.

Once someone decides Coventry City isn't big enough then they can go.
Loyalty works both ways; we were ready cash in on him and sell him to Burnley.

Last edited:

fatso

Good luck to the lad, we signed him on a free contract, he's always given 100% for the shirt, and improved us no end, and been a major part in our rise from complete obscurity.
he's not a kid anymore and needs to maximise his earnings, and no doubt will get 2 or three times whatever we have offered him. (Helped by the fact he's a free signing)
I wish him every success.

fernandopartridge

This “it’s a short career” rhetoric is of course largely no longer true.

They earn more in that career than most earn in employment for 40 years.

Those that look after themselves now play easily into their mid 30’s.

This line was true in the 80’s and 90’s when almost all players needed to get a career outside of football but it isn’t now if a player plays in the top 2 divisions and looks after his money.

Of course it's true - say he signs here for another 3 years, how many top flight teams are likely to sign a 28 year old with no experience of having played at the highest level?

fernandopartridge

Exactly. Football clubs aren't exactly super sentimental either and we've seen Coventry won't renew players contracts when we've outgrown them (see Dabo, Walker, and I'd imagine Kelly this summer).
Don't see how O'Hare moving on to a higher level is any different tbh

Dabo particularly, he seemed to be quite close with O'Hare. We can hardly crow about loyalty when we dumped a player 2 days after a devastating penalty miss.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You can’t sell a player against their will. If he didn’t want to go to Burnley (silly suggestion) he could have simply not signed terms.
No he doesn't, but how would you feel if you were suddenly told your employer wanted to send you to a competitor for a nice fee. Would you feel the same loyalty to them after that. Especially if on top of that you'd get paid more and be at someone with a higher market share?

shmmeee

No he doesn't, but how would you feel if you were suddenly told your employer wanted to send you to a competitor for a nice fee. Would you feel the same loyalty to them after that. Especially if on top of that you'd get paid more and be at someone with a higher market share?

Is that what happened? Or did we just get a bid for O’Hare? We rejected Vils bid in January when he wanted to go and he kept performing and playing through injury.

For me regardless of your feelings of loyalty if you’re under contract you perform your duties. If you don’t you’re in line for criticism.

If we’re all in some weird amoral mad max world like is being claimed then why do you care if we drop an underperforming player or if fans notice?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is that what happened? Or did we just get a bid for O’Hare? We rejected Vils bid in January when he wanted to go and he kept performing and playing through injury.

For me regardless of your feelings of loyalty if you’re under contract you perform your duties. If you don’t you’re in line for criticism.

If we’re all in some weird amoral mad max world like is being claimed then why do you care if we drop an underperforming player or if fans notice?
I agree entirely about keeping performing while you're contracted. I'm talking about if he's decided to leave.

O'hare hasn't been at his best the last few weeks but I'm not convinced at this point he's just downed tools. He just doesn't come across at the type of person who would do that.

shmmeee

I agree entirely about keeping performing while you're contracted. I'm talking about if he's decided to leave.

O'hare hasn't been at his best the last few weeks but I'm not convinced at this point he's just downed tools. He just doesn't come across at the type of person who would do that.

I think he was gone before his injury in his head and seeing Vik and Gus get their moves would only solidify that. He had a purple patch before Xmas, got the offers he wants, and now doesn’t want the same to happen again.

I get it. But as a City fan I don’t have to cheerlead it.

steve cooper

He is/was being targetted in the same way as Sakamoto was. The Norwich manager confirmed that. The horrific injury to TS has almost certainly affected Callum.

Frostie

All true but we improve by investing on assets, despite grendel saying he owes city nothing we only need him to sign with get out clause to repay the club for the year out, the development and the opportunity...great lad, great player but this will in my view tarnish his time with us...such a pity...even if we only got a mill....we need every penny to develop further
There's not a single player in the world that would sign that deal, makes zero sense.

Grendel

zuni

Fair point although look how we was treated by us 😔
Some 26 years ago though & agents will always advise against players doing similar now.
100% agree, as Gren said he left tarnished but the honourable thing he did do was resign knowing he would leave...more money for the agents as well but like you say the world has moved on

skybluegod

We made one last throw of the dice a few weeks back

Top earner alongside the other one but with heftier bonuses

It was rejected as he already knows where hes going

Fuck him 🤷

Rejected outright? Is the offer is no longer on the table, or are we still happy to wait if he changes mind?

Mucca Mad Boys

His performances and body language since the Leicester win have noticeably changed, but that could just mean he's annoyed at the rotation by Robins.

It’s the other way round, he’s not been as good since Norwich away and he’s been deservedly dropped.

I like COH and wish him well in the future but he’ll be easier to replace than Hamer and Gyokeres imo.

In short, if he’s going, we’ll survive and move on. It’s been the same since McNulty left after promotion from L2.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dabo particularly, he seemed to be quite close with O'Hare. We can hardly crow about loyalty when we dumped a player 2 days after a devastating penalty miss.

It wasn't like that.

In an interview Dabo said that he had deliberately gone to the manager and asked if he was in his plans as he didn't want to go on holiday without knowing. Robins then told him the truth so he could go and find another club. The decision was made well before the penalty miss anyway, but what else could we realistically do? Keep a player that hadn't been good enough for several years for another season?

In the same turn, if a player is genuinely too good for us (no examples given) then I don't blame them for trying to get to a higher level. I think the only grounds to get annoyed is if a player has strung the club along/not helped them in being honest. It can be tricky ground, but it goes both ways.

Deity

Of course it's true - say he signs here for another 3 years, how many top flight teams are likely to sign a 28 year old with no experience of having played at the highest level?
If he signs for city on £25k a week for 3 years plus his signing on fee I don’t think any of us need to worry about what COH will do when he retires from football at 35 !

This phrase was true when the likes of Micky Gynn had to go o to normal jobs post football but the monumental spike in player salaries over the last decade has made it a totally irrelevant phrase for modern top tier footballers ….

Evo1883

If he signs for city on £25k a week for 3 years plus his signing on fee I don’t think any of us need to worry about what COH will do when he retires from football at 35 !

This phrase was true when the likes of Micky Gynn had to go o to normal jobs post football but the monumental spike in player salaries over the last decade has made it a totally irrelevant phrase for modern top tier footballers ….

The idea that a championship footballer cannot have several years on 20k a week plus and not retire at 35 is beyond mental

I get a little annoyed at people who are sympathetic with the length of a footballers career despite the fact very few at this level retire less than millionaires

If they don't then fans aren't to blame for their stupidity

Chris1987

The idea that a championship footballer cannot have several years on 20k a week plus and not retire at 35 is beyond mental

I get a little annoyed at people who are sympathetic with the length of a footballers career despite the fact very few at this level retire less than millionaires

If they don't then fans aren't to blame for their stupidity
Must be tough making ends meet on that money.

Evo1883

People also use the short career argument about premier league footballers too tbh .. many of those same people are on minimum wage and work 50 /60 hours a week , footballers work about 20 hours a week at best .. weird mindset of a football fan I suppose

AJB1983

It’s like the liv golf argument - players signing for one off £100 million fees or whatever it is, then saying ‘I’m thinking about my family’s security etc etc’

cos the 50 million they’ve already earned in their careers isn’t enough?

having said that, the Callum o’hares of this world aren’t going to be earning the same sort of money as some prem players, so the chance to double or triple (or more) what he’s on here you can’t really blame him, as we won’t be offering any/much more than £20k a week I wouldn’t think.
Then it’s about how wisely they invest it - or so they don’t blow it.

Users who are viewing this thread