Burger on Saturday (1 Viewer)

bawtryneal

Burge on Saturday

Was at the game last night. Alsops distribution was diabolical. Time after time he just booted it into touch or to a Scunthorpe player or into no mans land. Not his fault we lost ( that was Redas fault) but woeful distribution. Also, don't like the way he commands his box or gives support and communication to the defence. Very quiet. For me, Burge to start against Rochdale.

Last edited:

Kingokings204

Couldn't agree more. He is a decent shot stopper but I've not seen as bad a keeper as commanding his area than him. I cant see why a Lee Burge cant be given a go ahead of this guy and plus he is ours so creating value for one of our players instead. Doesn't catch crosses and doesn't come out of his 6 yard box. I remember that one he flapped at against Yeovil Saturday and the one he let across the box against Gillingham last minute heart in mouth stuff. No confidence in him, Sorry.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Allsop isn't the finished article but I don't think he has been so he has been so terrible he warrants dropping. I trust Oggy's and SP judgement who see them both in training everyday, it could be Chris Dunn all over again.

Grendel

Couldn't agree more. He is a decent shot stopper but I've not seen as bad a keeper as commanding his area than him. I cant see why a Lee Burge cant be given a go ahead of this guy and plus he is ours so creating value for one of our players instead. Doesn't catch crosses and doesn't come out of his 6 yard box. I remember that one he flapped at against Yeovil Saturday and the one he let across the box against Gillingham last minute heart in mouth stuff. No confidence in him, Sorry.

How many times have you seen burge play in the first team?

letsallsingtogether

That has to be our weakest position no matter who we play.

We Really need a new keeper.

letsallsingtogether

Worries me that neither of them command their area, do not seem to communicate enough with their defence and can't kick for shit.

This in turn panics the defenders as they are not confident in the keeper abilities to deal with the danger.

Grendel

Worries me that neither of them command their area, do not seem to communicate enough with their defence and can't kick for shit.

This in turn panics the defenders as they are not confident in the keeper abilities to deal with the danger.

Given that the strategy on signings has been to have a small squad with significant championship experience I do not get the logic that the goalkeeping position is occupied by a player with very limited experience at all

letsallsingtogether

Careful G people will think we are in collaboration.:D
Given that the strategy on signings has been to have a small squad with significant championship experience I do not get the logic that the goalkeeping position is occupied by a player with very limited experience at all

Kingokings204

How many times have you seen burge play in the first team?

Only a couple of times. He isn't a world beater but he is no worse than alsopp IMO. He is also our player so if he plays and does well he gains a value where as all I can see is we are increasing value in a Bournemouth goalkeeper who isn't even that good.

Burge was no worse than alsopp. As for the the above keeper TK on a free well he is worth breaking the bank for. Every successful team has a good goalkeeper.

Most of us knew we would have problems when Murphy left. What a goalkeeper. Occasional had a ball up but who doesn't. Shame he now warms the bench at a crap club. Single handedly kept us in games last year. I was a big fan.

To concluded, stick burge in and give him a go. Watched alsopp and I am not a fan. I am not alone clearly. I am saying alsopp is terrible but we have a keeper who is ours on a 3 year deal so let's use him when there is no proof he is worse than we have got.

wingy

Was thinking of having a Bab-b-que on Saturday ,what with the weather and the fact that queing Is de-rigeur currently.

Guests to include Patrick Berger,Andy Cole and Paulo Wanchope.:facepalm:

Back to the OP Inclined to leave things be myself ,Grendels point Is a good one and possibly suggests how recent the decision to return was made ,Murphy could surely have been retained on a Budget approaching £6-7M .

Gazolba

At the start of the season before we got Allsop, SP said Burge was our number one keeper and he said he thought he was good enough. So as soon Allsop was loaned in, Burge never played again. The goalkeeper is the most important player on the team. As soon as Jimmy Hill came in years ago, he bought the best goalkeeper CCFC could afford, Bill Glazier. We had good goalkeepers, Andy Marshall and Kieran Westwood, and we sold them.

steveo1987

At the start of the season before we got Allsop, SP said Burge was our number one keeper and he said he thought he was good enough. So as soon Allsop was loaned in, Burge never played again. The goalkeeper is the most important player on the team. As soon as Jimmy Hill came in years ago, he bought the best goalkeeper CCFC could afford, Bill Glazier. We had good goalkeepers, Andy Marshall and Kieran Westwood, and we sold them.

Or left when their contracts ran out.

Nick

Administrator
Burge has played
Westwood wasn't sold

orig skyblue87

Both keepers are inexperienced and that shows in there game, from communication to commanding there areas.

Personally, pre season in Holland i thought Burge was better than Murphy and looked liked he had real potential. I was excited when SP gave him the contract, was disappointed when he gave Allsop the league starts, Burge is our player, play him !!

Otis

Look, it's simple, even though we've been doing really well and were on a great run, we should drop Conor Thomas and change the keeper on top of having to replace Reda Johnson.

Why not make a few other changes too? :thinking about:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I agree it's definitely our week position within the squad. Who'd have thought that!?!

I would prefer someone with more experience, but you only get experience by playing.

Neither keeper fills me with much confidence. But as Otis suggests (doesn't say it but we know what he means), while the system works we should make as few changes as we possibly can. Even if that does mean Connor Thomas doesn't get dropped :(

SkyBlueScottie

I have seen improvement in Alsop already, I compare him to Murphy when he first came here, was loath to leave his line and often left defenders to clear up if a ball was played though or over the top into space, the defence and keeper are now beginning to learn to play together, and against Yeovil was quicker to leave his ine. His shot stopping has been excellent, he secured a point at MK Dons for us by saving a few 1 on 1's. Tipped an excellent volley on to the bar against Yeovil, and although he didnt have to save it was very quick across his goal against Gillingham as the ball dropped to Cody on the Volley, he covered the goal excellently and left Cody with nothing to aim at.

Nick

Administrator
One thing I have seen with both Burge and Alsop is their kicking is shocking. The amount of times they both kick the ball straight out of play is unacceptable.

letsallsingtogether

Well they are both coached by Oggy:eek:

One thing I have seen with both Burge and Alsop is their kicking is shocking. The amount of times they both kick the ball straight out of play is unacceptable.

ampthill_sba

Was at the game last night. Alsops distribution was diabolical. Time after time he just booted it into touch or to a Scunthorpe player or into no mans land. Not his fault we lost ( that was Redas fault) but woeful distribution. Also, don't like the way he commands his box or gives support and communication to the defence. Very quiet. For me, Burge to start against Rochdale.

Clearly you didn't go to Wycombe..? I have never seen poorer kicking from a GK than by Burge in that game...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was hoping for a review on the Ricoh catering. To say i am disappointed with this post would be an understatement.....

I mis-read the title as "Bugger Saturday". I thought it was another protest thread! :D

SkyBlueScottie

More than likely there is no recall, however given the choice I would also take Boruc, bearing in mind he is an international goalie and Allsop is a lower league player....

wingy

Just what did Boruc do wrong @ Saints ,apart from nominate the TITANIC for the Ice Bucket challenge?:eek::whistle::whistle:

stupot07

I thought Patrick had retired a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

bawtryneal

I did see Burge at Wycombe match. As you say "kicking terrible" Was also at scunthorpe on Tuesday and thought similar poor performance from Allsop. Burge is our keeper, a young guy who needs match time. Either play him or farm him out and get a more experienced keeper. My opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread