Transfer Rumour Billy Sharp (1 Viewer)

Brylowes

Robins may as well pick himself. Sharp has been a great player and Championship level. But those days are over, probably before last season?
He made 37 appearances last season for a team that won automatic promotion by 11 clear points, those stats would suggest he played a vital role in getting his club promoted.

SeaSeeEffCee

I'm hearing this is done,deal. Can't say I overly enthusiastic about it if true.
I wouldn’t mind it if he’s coming into it knowing he won’t play much and wants to help be a mentor to Simms/younger squad players. Don’t think it’s a particularly good deal as a replacement for Godden though.

Finham

Billy Sharp or Walker/Waghorn ?
I agree it’s not one for the future but for a season it makes sense
Ideally better than all of those. I feel like we've wasted their wages on a has-been when it could have been re-invested in a younger player who we can improve. Not to mention that in reality, it's not Walker/Waghorn or Sharp, it's sounding like Godden or Sharp.

Telfer85

Maybe if we hadn’t been stung by waghorn we might not be so down on it. The guy played a hell of a lot of games last year in a promotion winning side so he’s coming from a different mindset to waghorn. His experience could be very useful to our younger crop.
Also every other club hates him and it’s about time we had someone like that. Put a bit of steel in the team can see him being a leader up top, Kelly in the middle and fadz at the back. 3 solid experienced players down the spine even if not playing every week.
Either way if he’s coming I’ll back him I just worry fans will be so quick to get on his back and he has potential to be a disruptive influence. He doesn’t hold back his opinions.

alexccfc99

Don't think this would be a factor tbh. It's like thinking a Villa player and fan wouldn't sign for us as we're supposed rivals.
I seem to remember him being quite critical of us after the game we played against them and everybody protested - Sheff U took that whole thing quite personally

Martin180

Ideally better than all of those. I feel like we've wasted their wages on a has-been when it could have been re-invested in a younger player who we can improve. Not to mention that in reality, it's not Walker/Waghorn or Sharp, it's sounding like Godden or Sharp.
I hope it isn’t as I think Godden still has something to offer but if we can get a decent fee and sign another young striker then it’s what we must do . Would love a young loanee as well Diallo would be incredible

Finham

I hope it isn’t as I think Godden still has something to offer but if we can get a decent fee and sign another young striker then it’s what we must do . Would love a young loanee as well Diallo would be incredible
Problem with someone his age is the risk of that "oh fuck, De Zeeuw" moment happening. And I think it may have almost already. We have Fadz already in that zone.

Martin180

I am not against it tbh, he isn’t going to be expected our main source of goals - Worth chucking on when we need a goal in the last 20 mins or a bit of experience to see out a 1-0 lead
And , like Fadz , his experience helping Simms on the training ground would be massive . Is he still the alltime championship leading scorer ?

Martin180

Problem with someone his age is the risk of that "oh fuck, De Zeeuw" moment happening. And I think it may have almost already. We have Fadz already in that zone.
Think we have to trust the process . Sharp does have an incredible record

long way home

This will be a signing that makes no sense to me, not even his experience would justify the wages we would have to spend on him. Id prefer to put his money in a younger signing or a loan player that has much more to prove.

Last edited:

Martin180

How would people feel if our forward options next season were Simms, Sharp, Vente and Whittaker?
Natural Glow Reaction GIF

Martin180

This would be a signing that makes no sense to me, not even his experience would justify the wages we would have to spend on him. Id prefer to put his money in a younger loan player that has much more to prove.
Why can’t we have both if we cash in on Godden?

Mucca Mad Boys

If we were to sign Sharp, the difference between this signing and say, Waghorn or a De Zeeuew/Kilbane is that Sharp isn’t being brought in to start games. He’s an experienced pro who can add leadership qualities and has proven his durability. A great mentor for Simms.

I don’t think it’s a choice between Sharp and Godden at all. Personally, I can see Godden being shipped on for a fee to support spending on younger targets. Sharp adds experience to a young side and balance is important.

Martin180

Be happy as Sharp would clearly be 4th choice. If that’s the case why not just keep Godden.
Because we can get a fee for him . Look I’m a big Godden fan , think he’s been brilliant for us but some of the shit you read on here …
Two days ago he was not a great finisher , never fit , selfish , overrated according to some posters . Soon as we are going to replace him with Sharp he’s suddenly become the sky blue Pele

Balli001

Because we can get a fee for him . Look I’m a big Godden fan , think he’s been brilliant for us but some of the shit you read on here …
Two days ago he was not a great finisher , never fit , selfish , overrated according to some posters . Soon as we are going to replace him with Sharp he’s suddenly become the sky blue Pele
We could potentially use the fee to help purchase mcnally or increase hamers contract offer

AJB1983

Only 3 goals last season for Sharp. 5 years ago definitely would have took him, maybe even 2 or 3 years.
can understand it to a degree - the experience etc but i he doesn’t fit with how we’d be playing.

he’ll stay up north no? Rotherham? Huddersfield?

Finham

He's just too old and too risky for me. Yes there's a tiny chance he'll have a Wise-season with us, but I can't see it. And the phrase "trust the process" is really annoying, or as the kids say, "a trigger". We all have opinions and this is a place for them.

Ccfcisparks

He's just too old and too risky for me. Yes there's a tiny chance he'll have a Wise-season with us, but I can't see it. And the phrase "trust the process" is really annoying, or as the kids say, "a trigger". We all have opinions and this is a place for them.
Not really risky on a free is it. Would suggest Sakamoto is much more risky.

Martin180

Trust the trigger ?

alexccfc99

Only 3 goals last season for Sharp. 5 years ago definitely would have took him, maybe even 2 or 3 years.
can understand it to a degree - the experience etc but i he doesn’t fit with how we’d be playing.

he’ll stay up north no? Rotherham? Huddersfield?
He has just had a new house built in Sheff apparently - Rotherham is more convenient for him but if the money is better with us then who knows

Mucca Mad Boys

Be happy as Sharp would clearly be 4th choice. If that’s the case why not just keep Godden.
If we can get a good fee for Godden, I’d take it because he’s in the last year of his contract and his injury record has been mixed last few season.

Likewise, we’re changing the way we play and from the games I’ve seen, it’s clear Godden doesn’t really fit in with our play style any more.

Users who are viewing this thread