Big Clubs League 2 (2 Viewers)

rob9872

Also got doubled by Forest Green in their first season as a league club. People have said we needed to go to Div 4 to rebuild properly-I disagree. Had MR somehow saved the 16/17 season it would have taken one less season to do the same job in all probability.
I'm not so sure. As remarkably as that would've been, galvanising the squad with team spirit and momentum on the first promotion, it all snowballed from there and a dressing room with a winning mentality. Cleaned out the dross and I think the day at Wembley for the play off simply getting back to where we were, gave MR credit in the bank when we had some sticky spells that I'm not sure he'd have otherwise been given and it could've all been oh so different. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing.

TomRad85

Said it before but league 2 season was absolutely fucking horrible until the end. The play offs were fun no doubt buy they've massively clouded people's memories.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Said it before but league 2 season was absolutely fucking horrible until the end. The play offs were fun no doubt buy they've massively clouded people's memories.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm a bit inbetween on this, there were some great days but there were some absolute horror shows.

And all the time it was in the back of the mind that another season down there could finish us.

bigfatronssba

I'm a bit inbetween on this, there were some great days but there were some absolute horror shows.

And all the time it was in the back of the mind that another season down there could finish us.

That’s the thing, if we’d have know that we would finish the season with promotion then we could’ve enjoyed it.

However the reality at the time was that we had one chance to get back up and prevent complete destruction of the club. If we hadn’t got back up that season I didn’t believe Coventry City wouldn’t be a league club right now

Hobo

Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom to bounce back. We certainly did

We only did it to retain our record of playing in every league - including the old Division Three North and Division Three South. 😂

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

That’s the thing, if we’d have know that we would finish the season with promotion then we could’ve enjoyed it.

However the reality at the time was that we had one chance to get back up and prevent complete destruction of the club. If we hadn’t got back up that season I didn’t believe Coventry City wouldn’t be a league club right now
That’s a bit too far - we wouldn’t have dropped out of the league. Clubs like us don’t drop out of the league.

We’d have eventually come back out of league two. Likelyhood is we’d be like Portsmouth

doesn’t stop that season being any less of a horror show.

Cheltenham away and the play offs were great like. That Morecambe carve up was a hilarious disgrace though… added Barnet to the teams that dislike us (whom I also remember us playing out a 0-0 draw away whilst on the tv)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Willis filed under academy lads tbf

Jordan Turnbull probably my most disliked City player of all time

Cocky fucker who did not care and got his family to slag off City fans on Twitter who were rightly concerned with the sides performances
Turnbull - the guy who had a gentleman’s agreement to leave with Mowbray along with Kyle Reid if we got relegated…. Went well for them. Turnbull ended up at Patrick thistle and Reid fell out of the league.

wasn’t Turnbull supposed to be better than Jack Stephens?

clint van damme

That’s a bit too far - we wouldn’t have dropped out of the league. Clubs like us don’t drop out of the league.

We’d have eventually come back out of league two. Likelyhood is we’d be like Portsmouth

doesn’t stop that season being any less of a horror show.

Cheltenham away and the play offs were great like. That Morecambe carve up was a hilarious disgrace though… added Barnet to the teams that dislike us (whom I also remember us playing out a 0-0 draw away whilst on the tv)

The 'carve up' where the Morecambe keeper got man of the match and pulled of a top class point blank save?
Honestly?!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

At the end of the day I’m ok with it. We needed a point and played risk free football whilst Morecambe didn’t need to pressure us. But let’s not pretend we went all out of the win

clint van damme

I think the notion that game is a carve up is absolute bollocks to be honest.
We had chances and their keeper got MOTM.
Did we go hell for leather to get a win, definitely not, but why would you take the risk in the circumstances?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Did we go hell for leather to get a win, definitely not, but why would you take the risk in the circumstances?
Don’t get me wrong - it obviously want a carve up. I said it was hilarious. I think we had 2 chances on target in the whole game. The goalkeeper was only MoM because he was the only one who did anything.

I remember arguing with a Barnet fan and a Sunderland fan (surprisingly) on Twitter the same. But after about 10 mins it was clear both teams had come for a draw

Hertsccfc

With five minutes to go the fans around me were shouting forward and for Grimmer to get up the pitch. All we had to do was hold into the ball and we were in the playoffs but no they wanted us to lump the ball forward. Could have changed the whole history of the club if we had let a goal in.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

With five minutes to go the fans around me were shouting forward and for Grimmer to get up the pitch. All we had to do was hold into the ball and we were in the playoffs but no they wanted us to lump the ball forward. Could have changed the whole history of the club if we had let a goal in.
In the end if I recall we were in the play offs regardless in the end. Didn’t Mansfield lose so it didn’t matter

Like I said. I’ve argued this point didn’t stop the whole situation being funny.

Adge

I could not stand that team, with a couple of exceptions (The academy lads, Chris Stokes and Jodi Jones) I thought they were the most dislikable squad of footballers I have ever watched to the point it actually fucks me off in our history books they got us to Wembley and won us a trophy
The academy lads? Willis yes, Burge-debatable, George Thomas for 10-12 games, but Haynes, Kelly Evans X 2, Stevenson and Bigirimana needed to be flushed down the bog.

bigfatronssba

How much of that squad was Robins’?

Users who are viewing this thread