Big bang (1 Viewer)

wingy

WHat time was this at? Was driving home from work with Richard Ashcroft blasting out of the CD,thought my speakers were playing up or my already leaky exhuast had got even noisier.

Otis

But how can a sonic boom be heard at the same volume in Coventry and Swindon at the same time? Makes no sense.

Not sure it was exactly the same time though. Over a fraction of few seconds dependant upon area and if you imagine a jet travelling at faster than the speed of sound that is some distance covered in a matter of seconds or less.

ronan_cov

it was on the news and their were reports that it was heard in oxford. Personally i did not hear it but people put their status as 'what was that bang?'

Johnnythespider

Was about 6:10 wingy
WHat time was this at? Was driving home from work with Richard Ashcroft blasting out of the CD,thought my speakers were playing up or my already leaky exhuast had got even noisier.

idris65

I think it may have been two giant sacks of money landing on the roof of the ricoh from the money fairy.

coundonskyblue

Did anyone hear the people ringing into CWR about it? I think some were being serious with their concerns about an alien invasion! If the great leap of making contact with a civilisation from across the galaxy had just happened did they really think Malcolm Boyden would be the one breaking the story!

Otis

Did anyone hear the people ringing into CWR about it? I think some were being serious with their concerns about an alien invasion! If the great leap of making contact with a civilisation from across the galaxy had just happened did they really think Malcolm Boyden would be the one breaking the story!

Indeed. Where's Orson Wells when you need him!!

Manofdogs

First post on here.
According to BBC CWR it was a typhoon fighter breaking the sound barrier over Warwickshire.

Nonleagueherewecome

First post on here.
According to BBC CWR it was a typhoon fighter breaking the sound barrier over Warwickshire.

Welcome.

I'm still not convinced about the explanation: if you could hear something in Cov also in Swindon, surely you'd be able to hear it the same distance in other directions, depending of course on the "epicentre" of the bang? So why not also in say Birmingham or Northampton?

Some reports say "a series of loud bangs" though, so we don't know if we're talking about the same bang being heard in Swindon as in Coventry. In which case...have we got a series of bangs as a plane breaks the sound barrier, slows down a bit, does it again, and so on? Or is it just one loud MF ban echoing?

I looked at a few Youtube vids of sonic booms, and tbf, you might hear it 5 miles away, but no way 40!

Parsons, where was the person you were on the phone to?

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe it was the hooves of Gary Hoffman's white charger as he trotted over the cobbled streets up by the cathedral?

coundonskyblue

Welcome.

I'm still not convinced about the explanation: if you could hear something in Cov also in Swindon, surely you'd be able to hear it the same distance in other directions, depending of course on the "epicentre" of the bang? So why not also in say Birmingham or Northampton?

Some reports say "a series of loud bangs" though, so we don't know if we're talking about the same bang being heard in Swindon as in Coventry. In which case...have we got a series of bangs as a plane breaks the sound barrier, slows down a bit, does it again, and so on? Or is it just one loud MF ban echoing?

I looked at a few Youtube vids of sonic booms, and tbf, you might hear it 5 miles away, but no way 40!

If you think the MOD are up to something then this is an interesting read:

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...of_big_bang_over_norwich_last_night_1_1345460

Happened on Tuesday.

wingy

They like others are truelly awesome machines ,work on military airshows and the noise they can generate is terrifying ,shock and awe if there were a few flying over Syria the weapons would be dropped very swiftly ,murdering B'tards.

I heard Ian ring in to claim the the bang was quite dissapointing in his eyes and felt that we should have scrambled four jets as two would not have been appropriate to take on a helicopter full of explosives.

Welcome.

Middle earth itself mate....Beduff.

Cov City Daytrader 87

I heard Ian ring in to claim the the bang was quite dissapointing in his eyes and felt that we should have scrambled four jets as two would not have been appropriate to take on a helicopter full of explosives.

I thought it was some idiot who wanted to come on here to wind up this forum, only that the computer blew up in their faces before they got the chance.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
just a thought but could it be linked into rehearsing the security response for the Olympics ?

Johnnythespider

Read this on another forum OSB, the R.A.F have apparently been given permission to fly supersonic overland for this very reason.
just a thought but could it be linked into rehearsing the security response for the Olympics ?

speedie87

I'm all over this, was mental boom/ shock blast my way. helicopter giving off a wrong emergency signal meaning they scrambled 2 jets at mach speed?

edgy

Typhoon jets do not fly at over Mach1 over land........ unless they are heading to intercept a threat.

speedie87

Read somewhere the signal the helicopter was giving off indicated it had become rogue! Bet whoever was flying that thing is answering some questions as we speak!

sylus

if anyone believes that the RAF scrambled two typhoon jets and then go supersonic.either for one...a rehearsel for the olympics..or two...because a civilian helecopter was using the wrong channel...please...no way....nothing to do with the north koreans letting off rockets yesterday by any chance..but then again..would they tell us...i think not. conspiracy...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread