Bi Polar Fans (1 Viewer)

phildownunder

Last week there was wild optimism from some with (in ascending order) talk of a top half finish, a possible play off place and even a suggestion we could win every game from there on! All on the basis of two good performances.
One bad performance later all is doom and gloom again.
Aren`t people overreacting a tad? It`s clear that this team is inconsistent. At their best, it seems to me, they can perform adequately and at their worst are awful and that`s something we just have to live with, with the present personnel. However we don`t need to pick up a huge number of points to survive and there are plenty of opportunities in the fixtures to come to get the number we need.
I`m sure Tony Mowbray will use the first whole week he has with the team to get his ideas across, the team has shown it can perform pretty well at times and if R. Johnson comes back at some point and manages to stay injury free for a few games (a big ask I know!) it will be like signing a new highly influential player. So there are grounds for believing we can stay up, which is realistically all we should be hoping for this season.
The bigger picture is the set of remaining games we have to play not having mood swings over individual results.

Astute

Some of us were full of optimism when TM came to our club. And we still are. Some were saying that even TM couldn't do much with what SP left him for a squad. They still do. Many people shout the loudest when their predictions look like coming in. So those saying we will move up the table will say the most after a win and those saying you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear will say the most after a defeat.

I still say that we will end up mid table. And we will get promoted next season if we manage to keep TM and allow him to put a decent squad for Division 3 together.

Hobo

We do seem to have fans that swing from over optimistic predictions to the depths of dispair. I think TM will keep us up and we will see improved performances. Our run in is against teams below or just above us so it is very much in our own hands. If we implode like we did under Thorne with a similar run in, we will have earned our Lge 2 status.

this run in means we will play battling teams, so it might be a bit win one lose one, which will see us finish a few places clear of relegation. It will then be very much a case of what happens next?

Otis

Last week there was wild optimism from some with (in ascending order) talk of a top half finish, a possible play off place and even a suggestion we could win every game from there on! All on the basis of two good performances.
One bad performance later all is doom and gloom again.
Aren`t people overreacting a tad? It`s clear that this team is inconsistent. At their best, it seems to me, they can perform adequately and at their worst are awful and that`s something we just have to live with, with the present personnel. However we don`t need to pick up a huge number of points to survive and there are plenty of opportunities in the fixtures to come to get the number we need.
I`m sure Tony Mowbray will use the first whole week he has with the team to get his ideas across, the team has shown it can perform pretty well at times and if R. Johnson comes back at some point and manages to stay injury free for a few games (a big ask I know!) it will be like signing a new highly influential player. So there are grounds for believing we can stay up, which is realistically all we should be hoping for this season.
The bigger picture is the set of remaining games we have to play not having mood swings over individual results.

On the back of 2 back to back wins and coming up against a Donny side who had lost their last 2 games and not won in 4, we simply cannot accept that debacle of a second half performance and capitulation that occurred on Saturday.

It's not a mood swing over an individual result, it is a worry of an inept performance, the dent to the confidence that must have brought and the fact that all 3 goals were dreadful individual errors, which must now result in a nervy feeling back four for Saturday at Peterborough.

mrtrench

Made me smile thinking of all those sky blue Eskimos swinging both ways.

Wheelfass

I think the reason for the pre Donny game optimism is that we have been so long without any sort of success that just a few more positve results than is normal sends our excitement levels off the richter scale. Imagine what it would be like if we were challenging at the top end of the table...........if only.

Otis

It's also interesting to note that 'phildownunder,' for obvious reasons, wasn't actually at the Donny game. Had he been so, his optimism may well have not be running so high.

phildownunder

On the back of 2 back to back wins and coming up against a Donny side who had lost their last 2 games and not won in 4, we simply cannot accept that debacle of a second half performance and capitulation that occurred on Saturday.

It's not a mood swing over an individual result, it is a worry of an inept performance, the dent to the confidence that must have brought and the fact that all 3 goals were dreadful individual errors, which must now result in a nervy feeling back four for Saturday at Peterborough.

I do understand what you are saying and I wouldn`t expect people to be upbeat after a let down like that. My main point was that this is the same team that did so well last week when many (and I don`t think you were one of them) started making unrealistic predictions. It`s an old cliché I know, but we really should take one game at a time and not get too ahead of ourselves and too hung up on our last game each time. As I said I`m sure TM will be working on things this week.

ajsccfc

We're right near the shit. A little run of wins is an exciting prospect of not ending the season shitting ourselves, whereas a dreadful second half collapse with clownshoe defending was a stark reminder that we very well could be. I don't think anyone's going too mental either way to be honest.

phildownunder

It's also interesting to note that 'phildownunder,' for obvious reasons, wasn't actually at the Donny game. Had he been so, his optimism may well have not be running so high.

Yes before the game I really wished I could be there and I ended up glad I wasn`t.:p I`m not being a "Polyanna" about this. I know the team is in real danger of the drop. I`m simply saying there is no cause for despair based on one bad performance.

Otis

Yes before the game I really wished I could be there and I ended up glad I wasn`t.:p I`m not being a "Polyanna" about this. I know the team is in real danger of the drop. I`m simply saying there is no cause for despair based on one bad performance.

i wouldn't feel half as bad if the capitulation hadn't have been so great in that second half and we hadn't made all those dreadful defensive errors to throw the game away.

Thing that worries me the most is, that though I have faith in TM, our defence is truly, truly shocking.

skybluefred

Hi Phil, unfortunately it's not just one bad result it's the result of a season of shoddy lack lustre performances. The two recent badly needed away
wins lifted the spirits of the fans and made them dream of what might have been. Successive managers now blame the state of the Ricoh pitch
for the disgraceful home performances--BUT the away teams seem to have no problem's with it.

The sad truth is we have no players who are capable of playing any better when more physical teams start tackling hard. Having said that I do
not think we need to worry about relegation--somewhere mid table is more likely.

Skyblueweeman

Am I the only one who seems unimpressed with TM as manager? I see a lot of positivity on here, which I guess I congratulate amongst all the dross we put up with but I'm just not so sure he's going to be the messiah some think he's going to be.

WM

PS. And I'm not sure who is the right answer if TM isn't.

PPS. Happy to be proven wrong.

PPPS. #thisisahashtag

phildownunder

Hallo Fred, I pretty much agree with your post although 5th from bottom would suit me fine this time in the circumstances, and the team has shown it can play well sometimes - hopefully enough times to save it`s skin.

I can understand the psychology involved here. Fans being worn down by crap performances on the whole all season so far and starting to fear the worst (relegation). Suddenly out of the blue a new manager comes in, and soon after the team pulls off two good wins with much improved performances and then hopes are raised that we can get ourselves out of this mess and stay up.

I totally get that. What I did have problems with were the wild predictions coming from some quarters after these results. For example should anyone seriously expect ANY team to win every game from then on, and yet this was being speculated on. This team is what it is and no manager can be expected to radically change that (silk purses etc). For me the best we could hope for realistically with this team is to simply survive in this league this season and for me anything better than that will be a bonus.

Hope you are getting a bit of sunshine by now up there in Morecambe!

Otis

Hallo Fred, I pretty much agree with your post although 5th from bottom would suit me fine this time in the circumstances, and the team has shown it can play well sometimes - hopefully enough times to save it`s skin.

I can understand the psychology involved here. Fans being worn down by crap performances on the whole all season so far and starting to fear the worst (relegation). Suddenly out of the blue a new manager comes in, and soon after the team pulls off two good wins with much improved performances and then hopes are raised that we can get ourselves out of this mess and stay up.

I totally get that. What I did have problems with were the wild predictions coming from some quarters after these results. For example should anyone seriously expect ANY team to win every game from then on, and yet this was being speculated on. This team is what it is and no manager can be expected to radically change that (silk purses etc). For me the best we could hope for realistically with this team is to simply survive in this league this season and for me anything better than that will be a bonus.

Should be, because didn't Morecambe always sing 'Bring me sunshine?'

skybluefred

Hi Phil, yes you are right survival is the name of the game for this season. Hopefully we can retain TM for next season.

Otis is right re the Morecambe weather, we have had four very acceptable day's although we could have "SNOW" overnight
according to the forecast..

Users who are viewing this thread