Ben Wilson' race for the golden glove?! (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

Have to say I was surprised to see this this morning!

rob9872

I would love him to win this, if only to see some of you saying how crap he still is and that the stats are meaningless due to the quality of shots he hasnt had to save, he's always been a number 2 and we need an upgrade. Not quite sure what some of you want. As Marosi Burge Moore or RCC are now all plying their trade in the Premier League it's much easier to hate on the man between the sticks rather than admit you might have got it wrong.

Good luck Ben! hopefully a few more to help us into the top 10 and maybe a play off push. Next 8 games are massive!

Sick Boy

I would love him to win this, if only to see some of you saying how crap he still is and that the stats are meaningless due to the quality of shots he hasnt had to save, he's always been a number 2 and we need an upgrade. Not quite sure what some of you want. As Marosi Burge Moore or RCC are now all plying their trade in the Premier League it's much easier to hate on the man between the sticks rather than admit you might have got it wrong.

Good luck Ben! hopefully a few more to help us into the top 10 and maybe a play off push. Next 8 games are massive!
He’s got next to go chance of winning it - the clean sheets were down to the change in tactics and the defensive displays - we’ve got something like 3 cleans sheets out of the last 10 games.

rob9872

Yep fk all to do with the man between in goal who has no chance despite leading the race and having no Burnley, West Brom, Norwich or Sheffield United to face in the run in ....

hill83

giphy.gif

Otis

It's a tricky one with keepers I think, because they could go throughout an entire game without having a single shot to save. So a clean sheet is not necessarily down to the keeper.

Players can miss absolute sitters from a goalkeeping error can't they, so it's quite had to quantify I feel.

Also, then you have to factor in goals that HAVE been down to the keeper too don't you. A keeper could let in 5 goals and not be at fault for any of them and then by the same token, could let in 2 and be responsible for both.

Be interesting to know of those clean sheets, how many were down the defence, the ineptitude of the attackers and how many to the keeper helping keep the team in the game.

Stats can be very useful at times, but are can also be governed by interpretation.

I don't think anyone has said Wilson is a very good keeper have they, but if you looked at that stat above, it would kind of point out that he IS a good keeper wouldn't it.

Offhegoes

I like Wilson, seems a good lad, and has made some excellent saves since he's come into the team. He's a No 2 though. If we went up I would still happily keep him (but as a No 2). He's too nervy, distribution poor and can get bullied at set pieces as he's not the tallest. Having seen the horror shows that Simon Moore produced this season, he has rightfully got the shirt until the end of the season.

slowpoke

Wilson is okay, has his moments but defence seem confident with him, has good saves in him. Came in after the Simon Moore horror shows under a bit of pressure and put a run of clean sheets together, doesn’t matter how it was achieved. I think Robins will add another keeper in the summer be interesting if Wilson will be one or two especially if he wins this golden glove award

rob9872

I hope he wins it as I dont want us to concede another goal all season and we might also be able to sell him in the summer!
Why would you want to sell someone who kept 17 consecutive clean sheets and 29 in total? I do realise it was partly tongue in cheek, but there would be some wanting that still and simply demonstrates how some have pre-conceived opinions and arent prepared to change them?

SBT

Why would you want to sell someone who kept 17 consecutive clean sheets and 29 in total? I do realise it was partly tongue in cheek, but there would be some wanting that still and simply demonstrates how some have pre-conceived opinions and arent prepared to change them?
Because the clean sheets don’t have as much to do with him as some people think. If we could find a club who feels the opposite then we could get a great deal for ourselves.

clint van damme

Saying that Ben Wilson is one of the division’s best keepers because of all the clean sheets is like saying Ringo Starr is one of the best drummers in history because he was in The Beatles.

But he made beautiful music - just like Ben!

AOM

I like Wilson, seems a good lad, and has made some excellent saves since he's come into the team. He's a No 2 though. If we went up I would still happily keep him (but as a No 2). He's too nervy, distribution poor and can get bullied at set pieces as he's not the tallest. Having seen the horror shows that Simon Moore produced this season, he has rightfully got the shirt until the end of the season.

Looks like he'll be here a few more seasons with the new contract, but I agree, it should be as a number two and we need to get an experienced keeper in as a number one.
We're going to have enough players to replace in summer without needing two new keepers!

rob9872

Because the clean sheets don’t have as much to do with him as some people think. If we could find a club who feels the opposite then we could get a great deal for ourselves.
Clean sheets dont have much to do with the GK? Ok fk it lets play with 11 outfield players and see how we get on. Again you're seeing what you want to see rather than what the stats are telling you. I know stats can be skewed, I'm not saying he's Gordon Banks, but if you think that he's not contributed to our success then you must be blind. He's also improved massively with a run of games and his decision making is much better. Kicking is still shite though I'll give you that.

slowpoke

Saying that Ben Wilson is one of the division’s best keepers because of all the clean sheets is like saying Ringo Starr is one of the best drummers in history because he was in The Beatles.
According to John Lennon Ringo wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Last edited:

shmmeee

RCC is the all time top consecutive clean sheet record holder for CCFC, put some respect on that name Rob!

steve cooper

I'm not sure what Ben Wilson has to do to earn some respect. He is our number 2 keeper and only playing because of some catastrophic drop in form by our number 1.
Our back 5 has consisted of 2, maybe 3 championship quality players, (prior to McNally), one of which is currently out through injury, and the others are all inexperienced, inconsistent or not good enough, so I'm not sure how during half a season the defence has outperformed other championship defences to protect Wilson to that extent.
If we are hoping to challenge for promotion next season we need a new keeper, but Ben hasn't done bad, all things considered.

Last edited:

Grendel

It probably is the lowest of all of the Beatles (I guess you'd have to work out the estate values of Harrison and Lennon), unless his narrating job for Thomas the Tank Engine paid particularly well.

Reported net worth of £350 million - not too bad really

rob9872

It probably is the lowest of all of the Beatles (I guess you'd have to work out the estate values of Harrison and Lennon), unless his narrating job for Thomas the Tank Engine paid particularly well.
Would more likely depend on his investments. His Roalties income would be the lowest though, although he's probably still worth hundreds of millions.

Also ... whatever it is I'd rather be him than John or George currently.

baldy

Can't click on the link but I presume there's no other keeper in the race for this award? He's a clown keeper who channels his inner Burge too much for my liking

PVA

Last time I checked he was about midtable for keeper's xG (I forget the exact name of the stat off the top of my head!) .

He's done way better than I expected him to and he's a lot better than some like to make out.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Clean Sheets is a stat to judge a team on, not an individual. Wilson keeps (or kept) a lot of clean sheets as he faces far fewer shots & especially far fewer quality shots than most keepers in the league.
Is that the same for goalscorers too most rely on good service.

Users who are viewing this thread