BBC sports personality of the year (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

KJT is the best sports person of the year. Her achievement was amazing given her injury record.
Now this, I do agree with. Her Gold in the worlds was superb and a great achievment.

It's all about grey isn't it, in terms of what you're voting for? You've said she's the best sports of the year but it's called sports personality of the year. I happen to think she's got a great personality as well to be fair but I guess the majority thought Earps deserved it more.

Grendel

Now this, I do agree with. Her Gold in the worlds was superb and a great achievment.

It's all about grey isn't it, in terms of what you're voting for? You've said she's the best sports of the year but it's called sports personality of the year. I happen to think she's got a great personality as well to be fair but I guess the majority thought Earps deserved it more.

Steve Davis has won it - I think personality isn’t meant in the way it’s claimed

David O'Day

KJT hasn't been on the tv as much though, Sports Personality is voted for by a lot of people who only really digest sport via what is on the BBC and ITV and Women's Football has been on loads.

rondog1973

From a sporting POV it clearly should have been KJT.

Amazing athlete who eclipses all the others achievements.

A double world champion...and an indoor world champion......and she also "ticks boxes".....

Earps won it as part of the BBCs continued investment in, & campaign for, womens football.
The best all round female athlete in the world...again.

Has to win it.

Grendel

I genuinely can't remember. I'm sure there was always been a number of options to vote for but I seem to remember it used to be more - maybe 10?

Your second point doesn't stand up because there's been many people who've won as part of teams - Giggs, Beckham, Owen, Jonny Wilkinson, Kevin Keegan off the top of my head.

Also the fact Josh Kerr didn’t make the top 6 and Earp did is pretty laughable when you think about it

Skyblueweeman

Also the fact Josh Kerr didn’t make the top 6 and Earp did is pretty laughable when you think about it
I mean, the 6 were chosen apparently by 'industry experts'. It's not that laughable - they obviously saw differently to you.

Nice to see your an apparent Athletics fan though. See - you do have a redeeming feature ;-)

David O'Day

I mean, the 6 were chosen apparently by 'industry experts'. It's not that laughable - they obviously saw differently to you.

Nice to see your an apparent Athletics fan though. See - you do have a redeeming feature ;-)
nah, there was a couple of "why isn't kerr nominated features" online when the 6 were named and he is parroting them

Grendel

nah, there was a couple of "why isn't kerr nominated features" online when the 6 were named and he is parroting them

He won the 1500 metres - a traditional bastion on athletics achievement from a UK perspective WC

David O'Day

He won the 1500 metres - a traditional bastion on athletics achievement from a UK perspective WC
And? That is not the point I was making.

Also the 1500m hasn't really been in the general publics wheelhouse for a long time so it's perfectly understandable why probably the most popular player on a popular team would be nominated over someone who excels i an event that hasn't really been that popular since the 80s.

SP isn't about who is the best sportsperson, it's who is most popular amongst the general public who likely don't watch sky sports and only consume sports via the BBC and ITV. Ask them them who Josh Kerr is and they are likely "who?". Ask them who Mary Earps is and most people will know at bit.

This is the nature of the event and yet people are "shocked" when the most popular player on a popular team backed by a campaign on her clubs main twitter and insta to vote for her actually wins.

It was the same last year.

Grendel

And? That is not the point I was making.

Also the 1500m hasn't really been in the general publics wheelhouse for a long time so it's perfectly understandable why probably the most popular player on a popular team would be nominated over someone who excels i an event that hasn't really been that popular since the 80s.

SP isn't about who is the best sportsperson, it's who is most popular amongst the general public who likely don't watch sky sports and only consume sports via the BBC and ITV. Ask them them who Josh Kerr is and they are likely "who?". Ask them who Mary Earps is and most people will know at bit.

This is the nature of the event and yet people are "shocked" when the most popular player on a popular team backed by a campaign on her clubs main twitter and insta to vote for her actually wins.

It was the same last year.

Will they know who Alfie Hewitt is?

David O'Day

Will they know who Alfie Hewitt is?
Probably more than Josh Kerr as he is more successful over a longer time and has Paralympic success but why are you asking this as your statement that we are talking about was "Also the fact Josh Kerr didn’t make the top 6 and Earp did is pretty laughable when you think about it".

So if your statement was "Also the fact Josh Kerr didn’t make the top 6 and Hewitt did is pretty laughable when you think about it" then you may have had more of a point.

Last edited:

Grendel

Probably more than Josh Kerr as he is more successful over a longer time and has Paralympic success but why are you asking this as your statement that we are talking about was "Also the fact Josh Kerr didn’t make the top 6 and Earp did is pretty laughable when you think about it".

So if your statement was "Also the fact Josh Kerr didn’t make the top 6 and Hewitt did is pretty laughable when you think about it" then you may have had more of a point.

I guess Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Steve Ovett would struggle these days

Why has Lewis Hamilton won twice given the sport is very much the epitome of Pay TV?

David O'Day

I guess Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Steve Ovett would struggle these days

Why has Lewis Hamilton won twice given the sport is very much the epitome of Pay TV?
Why are you changing the subject? You were comparing Josh Kerr to Mary Earps and tried to the pivot for some reason to Alfie Hewitt.

What you have opened up is quite an interesting conversation on the visibility of Athletics to the general public. When Ovett, Coe and Cram where at their zenith Athletics was a much bigger deal to the general public than it is now. It is quite interesting how after the mid 90s apart from Radcliffe, Holmes in her double Olympic year and Farah when he won a 3rd World Championship in a row at a heavily watched championships in London athletics has underperformed. I can remember in their being random athletics meets on normal tv which is a lot rarer now.

So do Coe, Ovett and Cram wouldn't have struggled now as if you transposed them at their 80s peaks to now then they would be creating a lot more interest in Athletics and in particular the 1500m. Their run of sustained success and the somewhat manufactured rivalry was good PR.

Macca

Why are you changing the subject? You were comparing Josh Kerr to Mary Earps and tried to the pivot for some reason to Alfie Hewitt.

What you have opened up is quite an interesting conversation on the visibility of Athletics to the general public. When Ovett, Coe and Cram where at their zenith Athletics was a much bigger deal to the general public than it is now. It is quite interesting how after the mid 90s apart from Radcliffe, Holmes in her double Olympic year and Farah when he won a 3rd World Championship in a row at a heavily watched championships in London athletics has underperformed. I can remember in their being random athletics meets on normal tv which is a lot rarer now.

So do Coe, Ovett and Cram wouldn't have struggled now as if you transposed them at their 80s peaks to now then they would be creating a lot more interest in Athletics and in particular the 1500m. Their run of sustained success and the somewhat manufactured rivalry was good PR.

Ultimately this and similar post from earlier is the point. It’s what is in the public eye. Sadly cricket was stolen from mainstream TV years ago. I’m a big fan of women’s football having a daughter who plays but let’s be fair the airtime it gets relative to popularity is disproportional

David O'Day

Ultimately this and similar post from earlier is the point. It’s what is in the public eye. Sadly cricket was stolen from mainstream TV years ago. I’m a big fan of women’s football having a daughter who plays but let’s be fair the airtime it gets relative to popularity is disproportional
Exactly, if that Ashes series was on a free to air channel I think Broad would of won.

Grendel

Exactly, if that Ashes series was on a free to air channel I think Broad would of won.

F1 never has been though has it when Hamilton won?

chiefdave

The shortlist process was changed to stop it being all-male nominees.
Prior to 2012, a panel of 30 sports journalists each submitted a list of 10 contenders. From these contenders a shortlist of ten nominees was determined. This method was criticized following the selection of an all-male shortlist in 2011. The selection process for contenders was changed for the 2012 and subsequent awards by the introduction of an expert panel. The panel produces a shortlist that reflects UK sporting achievements on the national and/or international stage, represents the breadth and depth of UK sports and takes into account 'impact' within and beyond the sport or sporting achievement in question.
No public vote is ever really a reflection of who is 'best', if anything it just shows what group are most motivated to vote. There was a similar situation a few years back where cyclists kept winning, now we've had a member of the England Women's team two years in a row. At some point something else we come along and we can all moan about that.

Users who are viewing this thread