BBC sports personality of the year (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Time to end that waste of licence payers money then

ccfc922

Is it for best impersonation of Jordan Pickford? Or most lip readable swear words?

Really a meaningless award, but surely someone who won something (male or female) is more deserving?

Grendel

Well there'll be a letter going in to the BBC about this, believe me!

Isnt it decided who actually the public can vote for off a selected list to start with?

rob9872

Nothing against Earps but surely Stuart Broad ticks every box. Long stellar career, king of shithousery, last ball of his career a wicket. Last ball faced a 6. That’s fairtytale stuff
Unfortunately he doesn't 'tick' any boxes

rob9872

Isnt it decided who actually the public can vote for off a selected list to start with?
Yep they decide on a short list of 6 which must include all demographics, including female, disabled and lgbtq+ 👍

Brighton Sky Blue

Nothing against Earps but surely Stuart Broad ticks every box. Long stellar career, king of shithousery, last ball of his career a wicket. Last ball faced a 6. That’s fairtytale stuff
Also just a really decent guy in general.

Terry Gibson's perm

It will go the way of question of sport and football focus the sort of shows most people think end years ago.

SBT

The chokehold that this award has on the minds of some sport fans remains bizarre. Especially as no-one has ever really managed to work out or express what it’s actually for. Someone will win a world title under amazing circumstances and the first thing some people will respond with is “That’s the SPOTY wrapped up then”.

rob9872

It will go the way of question of sport and football focus the sort of shows most people think end years ago.
QoS tried to imitate They think it's all over and A League of their own. It had its own successful track and should've stayed there.

Blind-Faith

Unfortunately he’s not a female footballer, and that doesn’t tick any box’s

David O'Day

I think from a sporting view Broad should win but in a public vote the hero of a popular team that plays it's matches on free to air tv is going to beat someone who's games are broadcast on pay to watch tv

outside of the cricketing crowd Mary Earps is basically more famous that Broad and that is what this really is a popularity contest

jimmyhillsfanclub

From a sporting POV it clearly should have been KJT.

Amazing athlete who eclipses all the others achievements.

A double world champion...and an indoor world champion......and she also "ticks boxes".....

Earps won it as part of the BBCs continued investment in, & campaign for, womens football.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Earps won it because the public voted for her...

And anyway, why shouldn't the main national broadcaster continue to invest and campaign for womens football?

True.....although I'd suggest it was a public vote shaped by the (comparably) high levels of BBC coverage/exposure of Earps & her sport over the others.

SBT

Who actually cares who wins?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
It’s a half-decent pub discussion point/thought exercise, but even the nominees don’t typically care, so lord knows why some people claim they do. It’s like fretting over the Christmas #1.

The whole thing is really an exercise for the BBC and its viewers in pretending that sports other than football actually matter in this country.

Grendel

Earps won it because the public voted for her...

And anyway, why shouldn't the main national broadcaster continue to invest and campaign for womens football?

But it’s a restricted public vote isn’t it? I don’t see why the BBC should be campaigning for anything

Skyblueweeman

But it’s a restricted public vote isn’t it? I don’t see why the BBC should be campaigning for anything
What do you mean restricted? As in they only got to choose from those 6? If so, who else would you have nominated for the public vote?

And I don't see why they shouldn't be campaigning for anything.

Grendel

What do you mean restricted? As in they only got to choose from those 6? If so, who else would you have nominated for the public vote?

And I don't see why they shouldn't be campaigning for anything.

Im sure I’m the past there was hardly any limitation was there?

If you have one member of a team as opposed to able to vote for all 11 it’s pretty targeted is it not

Grendel

Unfortunately he’s not a female footballer, and that doesn’t tick any box’s

KJT is the best sports person of the year. Her achievement was amazing given her injury record.

Skyblueweeman

Im sure I’m the past there was hardly any limitation was there?

If you have one member of a team as opposed to able to vote for all 11 it’s pretty targeted is it not
I genuinely can't remember. I'm sure there was always been a number of options to vote for but I seem to remember it used to be more - maybe 10?

Your second point doesn't stand up because there's been many people who've won as part of teams - Giggs, Beckham, Owen, Jonny Wilkinson, Kevin Keegan off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread