Match Thread Barnsley Match Thread (1 Viewer)

larry_david

Godden looked like a league 1 player out of his depth today. The amount of time he wanted just was not there. Suppose MR kept him on because of his on going games record and you know he'll take a chance but we have to face facts. Class finisher, rest of game needs serious improvement.

Mind you we all looked sluggish. Dare I say it the midweek break didn't do us any good this week

SBT

One of the easier games we will play. We didn't really turn up and it is disappointing.

Thought the centre backs were decent but wouldn't say much more than that.

Godden was atrocious. Some other players not much better.

I think given how mental the press was from their front three, we'll find it a lot easier against other teams who'll let us build from the back like we prefer to do. Barnsley wanted to play at 100mph, and we didn't/couldn't stop them. If they had more quality they'd be a very good side.

Tommo1993

Mostly disappointed about their keeper twiddling his thumbs all game. Convinced he’d have been doing it if we played all night.

speedie87

Worried by Walker from what seen so far isn’t much quicker than godden.

Not keen on going 2 up top either just bring him on for godden.

SkyblueTexan

Aside from 1 chance for us that hit the bar, I cannot recall anything we did that deserved a goal. So will take a point based on that. Thought Barnsley had the better goal scoring opportunities and could have easily won this.

clint van damme

What struck me was how few passes went to feet in a way that the recipeint could use it straight away. It always had to be controlled, and momentum was lost. O'Hara was an honourable exception.

people keep going on about their press but there were times we did it when under little or no pressure.
Poor performance from a footballing perspective but a good battling point.

Barnsley

I think given how mental the press was from their front three, we'll find it a lot easier against other teams who'll let us build from the back like we prefer to do. Barnsley wanted to play at 100mph, and we didn't/couldn't stop them. If they had more quality they'd be a very good side.

I agree unfortunately we can’t score goals .

Mucca Mad Boys

Nothing is coming off for Godden today. I don't like saying this often but he's been dreadful.

In games like today, it’s a harsh assessment. He’s a striker that needs service and he didn’t have any. He made a run similar to the one made v QPR but Giles put a flat ball to the near post and he didn’t pick him up.

Ngl, too many people put their expectations too highly for this one, predicting us to score 3 or 4 goals when that is a very rare thing for us under MR. Despite their bad start, Barnsley will do alright this year.

stay_up_skyblues

In games like today, it’s a harsh assessment. He’s a striker that needs service and he didn’t have any. He made a run similar to the one made v QPR but Giles put a flat ball to the near post and he didn’t pick him up.

Ngl, too many people put their expectations too highly for this one, predicting us to score 3 or 4 goals when that is a very rare thing for us under MR. Despite their bad start, Barnsley will do alright this year.

Spot on. Godden had precisely bugger all service and so gets a pass today. He doesn’t/will not pick the ball up on the half way line and go past three players to score. No service nullifies his game completely.

Barnsley

Your pre-match comments were spot on tbf, we weren’t at our best today but suspect your style of play caused that to some extent (although our passing was sloppy at times without being pressed).
I know what to expect from us.

poor passing come from thinking they have little time on the ball even when they have.

Hobo

Sometimes when our players misplace passes - you have to credit the other side for doing their job.

Sometimes it just becomes an arm wrestle and the solutions are so easy when you are sat on your arse with a beer.

Mucca Mad Boys

Spot on. Godden had precisely bugger all service and so gets a pass today. He doesn’t/will not pick the ball up on the half way line and go past three players to score. No service nullifies his game completely.

Comments like today will be frequent in games we don’t create much.

Gooden is a hard worker, presses from the front, decent in the air considering his size. His bread and butter is working hard off the ball to get in goal scoring positions. We didn’t create enough chances, and hitting 6 out of 21 crosses summarises our game.

Especially when Barnsley switched to the diamond, they ganged up on our wingbacks with 2-3 players on them. Shrewd tactical decision from Stuber.

Mucca Mad Boys

Your best player 11 looked decent 18 looks to be in for a good career too from that showing

This forum was buzzing when we announced Callum O’Hare as a signing - he’s a good player and has got what it takes to be one of the best in this league, eventually. Does it well on both sides of the football.

As for Giles, we’ve all been pleasantly surprised with him this year as he only made a 12m cameo in his loan spell before the lockdown in March. He’s a bright player, and when he gets good crosses into the box he’s a huge asset.

Side note, it wouldn't surprise me if our new signing, our old LWB from last season will usurp that role going forward and Giles used as an impact sub. That’s just my own opinion and I could be wrong.

Barnsley

Comments like today will be frequent in games we don’t create much.

Gooden is a hard worker, presses from the front, decent in the air considering his size. His bread and butter is working hard off the ball to get in goal scoring positions. We didn’t create enough chances, and hitting 6 out of 21 crosses summarises our game.

Especially when Barnsley switched to the diamond, they ganged up on our wingbacks with 2-3 players on them. Shrewd tactical decision from Stuber.

I know most on here think we’re shite, but we’re really not, don’t be too disheartened by today’s showing, we’re an hard team to play against, you were never going to get an abundance of scoring opportunities I warned you all mid week.

stupot07

Listening to these callers, anyone would have thought we're got a point away at Anfield.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

I know most on here think we’re shite, but we’re really not, don’t be too disheartened by today’s showing, we’re an hard team to play against, you were never going to get an abundance of scoring opportunities I warned you all mid week.

On the contrary I expected goals for both sides but one couldn't shoot for toffee and the other couldn't create anything except from corners.

Users who are viewing this thread