Atmosphere (1 Viewer)

skybluecam

There's still plenty on that list that would bring 4500 if a Saturday game.

Our crowds are good this year but we have many empty seats at the majority of games. It's just as important to provide more reasonable ticket prices in the West Stand and fill those. Even yesterday we had two entire blocks empty in the West Stand.

We had 26,700 against Birmingham with 4500 of them. Had given them 2500 we would have 8000 empty seats around the stadium.

Crowds will be solid next season but we could have matches all over the shop. Sunday evenings, Saturday mornings etc.

As much as the layout yesterday has been widely criticised, it's probably the best option. An overflow section for casual fans for big attendances.
We were 17th in the table when we played blues. If DK has ambition then opening it to home fans is the move.

pusbccfc

Just curious, why would it ?

Because we are averaging about 23,000 home fans currently. Opening the South Stand means the home capacity would be about 29,000.

MalcSB

There's still plenty on that list that would bring 4500 if a Saturday game.

Our crowds are good this year but we have many empty seats at the majority of games. It's just as important to provide more reasonable ticket prices in the West Stand and fill those. Even yesterday we had two entire blocks empty in the West Stand.

We had 26,700 against Birmingham with 4500 of them. Had given them 2500 we would have 8000 empty seats around the stadium.

Crowds will be solid next season but we could have matches all over the shop. Sunday evenings, Saturday mornings etc.

As much as the layout yesterday has been widely criticised, it's probably the best option. An overflow section for casual fans for big attendances.
Somewhere on this forum people were saying that we shouldn’t give away teams the boost of having large away followings and should limit them to a couple of thousand - the approach many clubs seem to take with us.

Evo1883

They are. Our support will drop off a lot quicker than Leicester, Forest etc if we have a couple of poor seasons. That's a fact. Our support has never had a big hardcore following.
Any proof of these claims ?

Until sisu took over coventry had a higher all time average than Derby, Forest and Leicester and had spent less time in the top flight than all of them

shmmeee

We’ve had this shite since 7k in L2 and people bleating on that all we need is an 18k stadium. Fact is I bought my ST late and it’s in a shit seat, because I couldn’t get one in a good seat because they’d all gone. Clearly the demand is there. The idea that it’s going to drop off after finishing 7th and an FA Cup semi is classic Cov Brain.

Evo1883

We’ve had this shite since 7k in L2 and people bleating on that all we need is an 18k stadium. Fact is I bought my ST late and it’s in a shit seat, because I couldn’t get one in a good seat because they’d all gone. Clearly the demand is there. The idea that it’s going to drop off after finishing 7th and an FA Cup semi is classic Cov Brain.
It's a generational thing too , just because fans in the 80 and 90s decided they couldn't be arsed to go doesn't mean that coventry today is the same .. we haven't had less than 21000 at the arena for a home game since last February 27 home games ago ..

Basically NOPM was bigger than people realised because this also coincides with sisu fucking off , the crowds were over 21000 before they came

shmmeee

It's a generational thing too , just because fans in the 80 and 90s decided they couldn't be arsed to go doesn't mean that coventry today is the same .. we haven't had less than 21000 at the arena for a home game since last February 27 home games ago ..

Basically NOPM was bigger than people realised because this also coincides with sisu fucking off , the crowds were over 21000 before they came

Honestly don’t think it’s any deeper than people like to watch successful teams and don’t like to watch unsuccessful ones.

CovInEssex

Next season - Sell ST's behind the goal, with the stipulation that should demand not warrant it each ticket will be moved to the same seat +4 blocks. Block 10 Row BB seat 4 becomes Block 14 Row BB seat 4. Or as close too.
The provisional seating area only opens for sale once demand is realised that the south stand will be open.

Next next season - add safe standing to south stand

pusbccfc

It's not about dropping off, it's about increasing. We need another 3-4000 extra home fans to warrant needing the South Stand permanently open.

Let's not forget, there were only 21,500 home fans against Rotherham in the last home game before yesterday.

The demand is not there regularly, just for the 5/6 big games.

Evo1883

And how many times has 4000+ away fans been a disadvantage? The atmosphere is better from the home end with a big away following. Look and Leicester and Birmingham this season..

I think the club will have an idea of what to expect next season in the stands .. the 3 games where behind the goal has been opened have shown that the demand is there , Leeds almost selling out already behind the goal too.

Club is on the up

pusbccfc

Next season - Sell ST's behind the goal, with the stipulation that should demand not warrant it each ticket will be moved to the same seat +4 blocks. Block 10 Row BB seat 4 becomes Block 14 Row BB seat 4. Or as close too.
The provisional seating area only opens for sale once demand is realised that the south stand will be open.

Next next season - add safe standing to south stand

It's an option but are people going to want to be moved at least 5/6 times a season?

It would also mean the corner being entirely empty creating a gap between our own fans.

pusbccfc

I think the club will have an idea of what to expect next season in the stands .. the 3 games where behind the goal has been opened have shown that the demand is there , Leeds almost selling out already behind the goal too.

Club is on the up

We only sold half the seats against Preston and there were 3 empty blocks behind the other goal/corner.

A lot of people are concerned about next seasons televised games too. We are likely to have many games moved to awkward times. A 12:30 lunchtime game on a Sunday may not be attractive to many.

Evo1883

We only sold half the seats against Preston and there were 3 empty blocks behind the other goal/corner.

A lot of people are concerned about next seasons televised games too. We are likely to have many games moved to awkward times. A 12:30 lunchtime game on a Sunday may not be attractive to many.

But to counter your very argument , not many sides will sell out 4500 away midweek at coventry , 4500 is too big an away end , should be 3200 max 10%

Evo1883

I also think people underestimate how hard it is to give up a ST once you've got one .. I don't know many people who went for 1 season then didn't go again

pusbccfc

If we're in the top 6 all season then yes?

Doubt it will be more than this year.

We've been in the top half since December and within a realistic push for the play offs for half a season.

There's no guarantee we'll be in the top 6 next season either.

I think crowds will be about the same next season. A 23,000 home average. Doug may even look to increase Cat A prices. Will the casual customers pay £37-40 on a regular basis?

pusbccfc

But to counter your very argument , not many sides will sell out 4500 away midweek at coventry , 4500 is too big an away end , should be 3200 max 10%

Absolutely, so if we only require around 22,000 for a midweek, do we need to open the South Stand? It will feel even emptier if you spread fans out further on those quietly winter games.

The key thing is flexibility. I'm incredibly glad we limited Leeds Saturday as we have a higher demand. However, had this game been in October when were towards the bottom, we'd not have required the additional seats. We don't want to lose out on away income. 2000x £37 + beer money is a big sum if you cannot guarantee it being filled with home fans.

pusbccfc

Exactly, it adds to the atmosphere. From a business sense of view it makes sense to sell as many seats as possible. Initially offering 4k is probably the wrong way to go about it but with a week to go if home sales in that stand aren’t moving fast then offer more (offer as many as possible for midweek games because a lot of people won’t be able to make it)

Spot on. It needs to be flexible.

Where it goes wrong is games like Leicester. There was clearly demand for 27,000 home seats that day but we were limited because we offered them 4500. Same with Birmingham last season. We offered them the entire end when the home sections had sold out a week in advance.

Evo1883

Absolutely, so if we only require around 22,000 for a midweek, do we need to open the South Stand? It will feel even emptier if you spread fans out further on those quietly winter games.

The key thing is flexibility. I'm incredibly glad we limited Leeds Saturday as we have a higher demand. However, had this game been in October when were towards the bottom, we'd not have required the additional seats. We don't want to lose out on away income. 2000x £37 + beer money is a big sum if you cannot guarantee it being filled with home fans.
Not many clubs close parts of their stadium because its not full , we need to get out that habit tbh .

Plus with how hard it is to attend away games now , I imagine more people will attend home games going forward to get their points up

Evo1883

How many Sat/Sunday fixtures have we had?

Only half the games have been weekend and Friday night (which is worth including as historically always good attendances ) , I still expect the attendances to rise next season Irrespective

Evo1883

I don't think we will go from 25000 average to 21000 average , I think we will likely see a small increase in attendances again

pusbccfc

Not many clubs close parts of their stadium because its not full , we need to get out that habit tbh .

Plus with how hard it is to attend away games now , I imagine more people will attend home games going forward to get their points up

Probably because even with our good crowds, we are 18th in percentage filled with 76%. The teams below us on that table; Wednesday, Birmingham, Blackburn and Cardiff all close parts of their ground. Stoke are the only side on the list below us who don't and their ground is very sparse with large sections of empty seats everywhere.

Evo1883

Probably because even with our good crowds, we are 18th in percentage filled with 76%. The teams below us on that table; Wednesday, Birmingham, Blackburn and Cardiff all close parts of their ground. Stoke are the only side on the list below us who don't and their ground is very sparse with large sections of empty seats everywhere.

Yea like fokker says I'm not sure what you're wanting in all honesty?

pusbccfc

I don't think we will go from 25000 average to 21000 average , I think we will likely see a small increase in attendances again

Will be about the same. Possibly a little less because we may lose some big name teams.

Our biggest attendances this season are Leicester, Wednesday, Birmingham, Norwich and Cardiff. We may lose 4 of those teams to promotion and relegation. Ideally Everton come down as that would sell out easily.

Users who are viewing this thread