Atmosphere (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

My son and myself were talking about the atmosphere at the games this season both before and after the match the other night. Walking up to the game 45 minutes before kick off, it was like things used to be, crowds milling about and areal expectant feeling to the night. He is 34 and said he can never remember it being as good as it is at the moment.

For me, I don’t think things have been as good as this since the Cup Finall season. Even then, the ‘special atmosphere’ only really happened with full houses at Highfield Road after the semi final. Before that I would say the Fergie and Wallace seasons under Gordon Milne when Highfield Road was really raucous, loud and vibrant for a couple of years. The only other occasion that springs to mind from my time watching City was the 67 promotion season and the first 3 seasons in the top flight with 30k plus average crowds.

In short then, in the 55 years I have followed City, the atmosphere at our stadium this season is one of the best I can remember, probably second only to the period at the end of the sixties. Considering how things have been since the move to the Ricoh, when sometimes the ground has been like a morgue (and I think came 92nd in a poll of best match day experiences?), it is a great part of being at the games. My mate was late getting into the game on Friday night and commented about how loud the crowd noise was from outside the stadium. I have also noticed the decibel level going through the roof when we score a crucial goal ( first on Friday for example).

I always felt that the Ricoh was a fantastic ground that just needed a team to match the facility in order for the blue touch paper to be lit. Odd games showed how good it could be ( Blackburn in the cup, Preston in the JPT etc) Even these occasions pale when compared to what is going on now.
Long May it continue.

Evo1883

My old man is 63 and he says it's the best it's ever been .

I can only imagine how intimidating it would be if we were this together at highfield road .

20600 at highfield road with that noise would have been unreal

The ricoh is growing on me 😉

ms639

Totally agree, my old man is 61 I’m 30 and been going up together for 25 years. Some special memories of premier league years at highfield road but not felt the atmosphere life it was on Friday for years. Long may it continue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

My son and myself were talking about the atmosphere at the games this season both before and after the match the other night. Walking up to the game 45 minutes before kick off, it was like things used to be, crowds milling about and areal expectant feeling to the night. He is 34 and said he can never remember it being as good as it is at the moment.

For me, I don’t think things have been as good as this since the Cup Finall season. Even then, the ‘special atmosphere’ only really happened with full houses at Highfield Road after the semi final. Before that I would say the Fergie and Wallace seasons under Gordon Milne when Highfield Road was really raucous, loud and vibrant for a couple of years. The only other occasion that springs to mind from my time watching City was the 67 promotion season and the first 3 seasons in the top flight with 30k plus average crowds.

In short then, in the 55 years I have followed City, the atmosphere at our stadium this season is one of the best I can remember, probably second only to the period at the end of the sixties. Considering how things have been since the move to the Ricoh, when sometimes the ground has been like a morgue (and I think came 92nd in a poll of best match day experiences?), it is a great part of being at the games. My mate was late getting into the game on Friday night and commented about how loud the crowd noise was from outside the stadium. I have also noticed the decibel level going through the roof when we score a crucial goal ( first on Friday for example).

I always felt that the Ricoh was a fantastic ground that just needed a team to match the facility in order for the blue touch paper to be lit. Odd games showed how good it could be ( Blackburn in the cup, Preston in the JPT etc) Even these occasions pale when compared to what is going on now.
Long May it continue.
Aside from the manager, staff and team - a lot of credit has to go to Singer’s Corner for getting the atmosphere rocking like it is now. For years they’ve kept singing and tried to get an atmosphere going and ignored the negative comments.

FairPlay Singer’s Corner, keep it going! Fantastic

Last edited:

tommy hutch legend

Long May it continue.
I've been going up since 1967 and think the atmosfhere for 5 home games has been best I have known it also

Covkid1968#

That roar on the first💙💙💙…you just knew as soon as we got it they would cave in and more would follow

Gynnsthetonic

My old man is 63 and he says it's the best it's ever been .

I can only imagine how intimidating it would be if we were this together at highfield road .

20600 at highfield road with that noise would have been unreal

The ricoh is growing on me 😉
The noise at Highfield Rd would get lost though, The CBS is designed to keep the noise in! The best atmosphere at Highfield Rd for me was West Ham 1981 although only 9 and the Derby last game 2005

Hertsccfc

Some pretty good atmospheres in those end of season relegation matches were good. The Luton, Norwich and Everton matches spring to mind.

Covkid1968#

Some pretty good atmospheres in those end of season relegation matches were good. The Luton, Norwich and Everton matches spring to mind.
Yes…. Stressful but very noisy

clint van damme

Long May it continue.

I've been a massive critic of the Ricoh but I think the atmosphere so far is the best I can remember and I was there 77-78 and 86- 87, though not 67 because I'm only a youngster!

Irish Sky Blue

On a side note: Who is it, along with Kelly, who is not giving the ball away?. I assume it is Jamie Allen but couldn't quite hear on Friday.

clint van damme

On a side note: Who is it, along with Kelly, who is not giving the ball away?. I assume it is Jamie Allen but couldn't quite hear on Friday.

I was singing Jamie Allen but there was no consensus but alot of confusion, definitely a few singing Michael Doyle!

Reactions: AOM

Demule

I can’t go to games as much as I’d like to since moving away but watching every game possible on iFollow and witnessing the atmosphere only makes us non season ticket supporters want to go even more (which can only be a good thing), took my lad to a Luton game last year and he enjoyed it but not enthralled enough to go back so trying again for the Derby home game and heading towards singers corner in the hope that will entice him … You know how it is if the lad wants to go it’s an easier sell in to the mrs :)

joemercersaces

It was pretty good at Millwall too. Not been there before and I was half expecting the Cov fans to be a little bit intimidated, but not a bit of it

COV

It’s brilliant that support is growing ‘organically’ with more people wanting to go… in the past we’ve tempted a few thousand more with deals and special one-offs, you get a big bumper crowd for that match and not many come back.

Now though a few more are coming each match because they want to be a part of it- that’s lasting and if it keeps going this way they’ll all be a part of the atmosphere, as opposed to there for one game sitting in silence never to be seen again

skyblue1991

What is the second line of the song which is the Jamie Allen part?

Whoa

Whoa
With Kelly in the middle (?)
Whoa
Never gives the ball away

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

JAM See

What is the second line of the song which is the Jamie Allen part?

Whoa...
We've got Michael Doyle/We've got Jamie Allen/We've got Stephen Hughes/We've got Terry Yorath/We've got Steven Hu-unt/We've got Lloyd MaGra-ath/We've got Youseff Chippo (delete as appropriate)
Whoa
With Kelly in the middle (?)
Whoa
Never gives the ball away

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: TTG

pusbccfc

Singers Corner have always kept it up, even when the numbers were tiny in League 2.

Now it's full, with more seats due to the screen being moved and B13/14 also being open has led to it being one of the most vocal sections of any ground I've been too.

The issue we had at Birmingham was the ground would be silent for 75% of the game. It's rare that you get a moment to hear yourself think now. It's constant.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Singers Corner have always kept it up, even when the numbers were tiny in League 2.

Now it's full, with more seats due to the screen being moved and B13/14 also being open has led to it being one of the most vocal sections of any ground I've been too.

The issue we had at Birmingham was the ground would be silent for 75% of the game. It's rare that you get a moment to hear yourself think now. It's constant.

I’m just hoping that when we do have a set back or are losing, the fans keep up the vocal support and don’t go silent. As it’s proved this season, our support has made the difference between wins and defeats.

rexo87

Was sat in the North Stand on Friday so not easy the noisy stand and I’ve never heard anything like when our first goal went in. Even dragged the missus up there and think she was impressed even though she won’t admit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread