Arsenal and Liverpool in race to sign James Maddison (Independent) (1 Viewer)

eastwoodsdustman

Sep 11, 2011
Time for Spurs to fill Pleat's pockets with cash and send him on over to Fisher's office.

Doubt he'd get past Hillfields with much left to spend!

skyblueinBaku

Mar 21, 2011
North Dorset
Time for Spurs to fill Pleat's pockets with cash and send him on over to Fisher's office.

NO! Don't let Fisher anywhere near this deal (if there is to be one). Send him to the CEO's office. Fisher would just screw everything up and sour our relationship with Spurs.

rupert_bear

Nov 14, 2012
Don't matter if we get a million or 20 million very little will find its way to Tony Mowbray.

Last edited:

mechaishida

Nov 2, 2015
NO! Don't let Fisher anywhere near this deal (if there is to be one). Send him to the CEO's office. Fisher would just screw everything up and sour our relationship with Spurs.

I was going for dramatic effect, of course I wouldn't want Pleat going near F***er...

torchomatic

Feb 25, 2008
Warwick
Well going by this season so far I would have to disagree. Seems like TM is doing alright.

Don't matter or we get a million or 20 million very little will find its way to Tony Mowbray.

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
Makes me think that £5mil is all we could get for Maddison.

If Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs are all really wanting to sign him then we could see a bidding war and one of them end up paying over the odds. Think TM should push for geting him back next season if we're in the Championship.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
I didn't think anybody on either side looked fantastic on Saturday. But Armstrong and Maddison were probably the pick of the bunch for showing future potential.

Bertola

Jun 5, 2011
If Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs are all really wanting to sign him then we could see a bidding war and one of them end up paying over the odds. Think TM should push for geting him back next season if we're in the Championship.

The main beneficiary of a bidding war would be MAddison himself.

Realistically, once we've agreed a price with one club, the others will just bid the same amount as we've accepted.

The clubs will then throw money at the lad, hoping to secure him

WestEndAgro

Sep 25, 2011
What is this "special" relationship with Spurs that gets mentioned, other than selling Danny Thomas and Steve Sedgley to them Im struggling?

Skyblueweeman

Dec 7, 2011
Portsmouth
I didn't think anybody on either side looked fantastic on Saturday. But Armstrong and Maddison were probably the pick of the bunch for showing future potential.

Agreed. I really noticed the pace of Armstrong on Saturday...the lad's phenomenally quick.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah, a loans link, but we got Grant Ward and then no-one else since have we, so what has gone wrong? The link broken, or have Spurs just got no-one they can send us?

I'm sure they must have talented youngsters available. Would expect them to have a very strong academy.

Moff

Apr 2, 2011
Deepest Warwickshire
Agreed. I really noticed the pace of Armstrong on Saturday...the lad's phenomenally quick.

First game of the season was it?

To be fair to Weeman he does live quite a fair way away, and still gets to as many games as he can.

Back on topic, I think we should hang on to Maddison for as long as we can, and rebuff offers unless silly money, as from what I have seen he has the potential to be a very special player.

Regardless of how he has played in the last couple of games, he is learning his trade and doesnt seem to be doing a bad job, and has the creativity and skill to change games, and every team needs that.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
What is this "special" relationship with Spurs that gets mentioned, other than selling Danny Thomas and Steve Sedgley to them Im struggling?

Well they also took Callum Davenport off us after at a, promising young age!

But the "special" relationship was something City tried to set up around loans pre season. I think we fancied a few of theirs and perhaps they already fancied Maddison? I don't think it really developed beyond preliminary talks.

Gazolba

Jan 26, 2013
BBC says 'outside the UK'
I'm sure they must have talented youngsters available. Would expect them to have a very strong academy.

If they had anyone as good as Maddison, why would they need Maddison? Maybe they have a good third-choice goalie we can get, we need a GK more than anything else.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
I think a lot of people fancy Maddison. I think it is all to do with the Alice headband.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
If they had anyone as good as Maddison, why would they need Maddison? Maybe they have a good third-choice goalie we can get, we need a GK more than anything else.
I said talented youngsters, not talented youngsters in Madison's position. We need a CB don't we? And a winger and a striker.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Just mentioned on the Beeb match commentary that Spurs are after Maddison. If my ears didn't deceive me I'm sure they said Coventry are waiting to see what other interest there is in him before they sell him.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
That was indeed what he said...
Hmm. Wonder if that's hearsay or we're putting it out there that we're prepared to do a deal?

I would be quite happy if we can sell him, bring two or three in (our own players, not loans, or loans with an option to sign permanently) and put some money in the club too.

jim20

Mar 21, 2011
I think if we have any ambition we need to keep hold of him, at least until the end of the season. If we get promoted we keep him another season, if we don't go up then cash in.

if I was TM if be saying to him you could be playing for cov in the premier league in 3 years. He's the sort of player we could build our future on

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
I think if we have any ambition we need to keep hold of him, at least until the end of the season. If we get promoted we keep him another season, if we don't go up then cash in.

if I was TM if be saying to him you could be playing for cov in the premier league in 3 years. He's the sort of player we could build our future on
Must say I disagree. This season is all about trying to win promotion and if we can sell him and strengthen in maybe THREE positions I would take that all day long.

You also have to remember, the word is that he would be loaned back anyway.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
You are right Otis, this season is a great opportunity. Cash injection to buy a couple of b players and a loan back has great potential.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Must say I disagree. This season is all about trying to win promotion and if we can sell him and strengthen in maybe THREE positions I would take that all day long.

You also have to remember, the word is that he would be loaned back anyway.

IF TM is given funds of course.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Let's say we get £5m, 60% of that is £3m. an average of £1m each on say a GK, CB and ST would work wonders for us. And unlike our last few managers, I'd trust him with the cash.

So would I... but will he get it?

Users who are viewing this thread