standupforcity

Nov 2, 2011
London
With the alleged interest in Maddison from Newcastle, it does beg the question...would you trade Maddison for Armstrong??

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
And how many millions?

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
It won't happen, but if it was on I would take Armstrong.

edgy

Mar 21, 2011
Armstrong is and will be the better player.

I like Maddison but he has a long long way to go yet.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Armstrong is and will be the better player.

I like Maddison but he has a long long way to go yet.

He has... but it's way too soon to say he's inferior to Armstrong.

rupert_bear

Nov 14, 2012
If Armstrong carries on the way he has and gets near to 30 goals Newcastle might be getting bids from much bigger boys than they are for him

WestEndAgro

Sep 25, 2011
Yes, but only if we get to keep Bigi!

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Armstrong is worth more by a country mile.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Calista

Sep 30, 2013
Armstrong is currently slightly ahead in terms of development. I really like him, and he’ll probably make a Premier League striker. But if Maddison can fulfil his potential, I reckon he will be the better (and more valuable) player, maybe a regular international. The question is hypothetical, but if it came down to it I’d rather keep Madders.

Moff

Apr 2, 2011
Deepest Warwickshire
Armstrong is currently slightly ahead in terms of development. I really like him, and he’ll probably make a Premier League striker. But if Maddison can fulfil his potential, I reckon he will be the better (and more valuable) player, maybe a regular international. The question is hypothetical, but if it came down to it I’d rather keep Madders.

I agree with you Calista, although its a close call, but I see a bit more potential in Madders and would opt for him.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
Wouldn't swapping Madison for Armstrong basically mean we'll be swapping a player rated good enough for the premier league for a player who isn't rated good enough for the premier league? Don't sound like a good business to me.

We'd be better of keeping Madison and paying a transfer fee for Armstrong if his club are saying he's not good enough to play in the premier league so let's offload him to a league one club. What is the going rate for a striker rated good enough for league one? Clarke to Wolves was £1M wasn't he? There ain't nobody going to convince me that Madison is worth only £1m because that's basically what you'd be saying.

SlowerThanPlatt

Dec 16, 2011
Herefordshire/Coventry
Maddison is a good player, who could become great, but it's Armstrong's 20-25 goals at this level which will gain you promotion not Maddison's fancy dribbling.

I would say we would have more trouble replacing Maddison though. We've had many good forwards at League 1 level like Clarke, Wilson, Samuel, McGoldrick - so a goalscorer can be found. The only attacking misfielder who was on Maddison's level was Moussa IMO.

Gazolba

Jan 26, 2013
BBC says 'outside the UK'
The most valuable thing in football is goals and Armstrong scores them. Maddison doesn't score them nor does he stop the opponents from scoring them so he is a luxury.

lifeskyblue

May 22, 2015
I like both but I'm not convinced as yet that either are ready for the premier league. I think Madders would be too lightweight and could not impose himself on a game. Armstrong against top quality quick defenders would struggle to get the chances. At the moment I would swap them and keep Armstrong...at this level his goals could make the difference between nowhere and promotion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
Wouldn't swapping Madison for Armstrong basically mean we'll be swapping a player rated good enough for the premier league for a player who isn't rated good enough for the premier league? Don't sound like a good business to me.

We'd be better of keeping Madison and paying a transfer fee for Armstrong if his club are saying he's not good enough to play in the premier league so let's offload him to a league one club. What is the going rate for a striker rated good enough for league one? Clarke to Wolves was £1M wasn't he? There ain't nobody going to convince me that Madison is worth only £1m because that's basically what you'd be saying.

The question was hypothetical, both of them are good enough for the PL.

Your logic for valuing Armstrong at 1m is utterly absurd. Newcastle have never claimed he isn't good enough for the PL and have stated on numerous occasions that they will integrate him into their squad next season.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Oct 16, 2010

Newcastle wouldn't swap Armstrong for Maddison, its hypothetical.

Newcastle would want 5-10 million as a starting offer for Armstrong

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Newcastle wouldn't swap Armstrong for Maddison, its hypothetical.

Newcastle would want 5-10 million as a starting offer for Armstrong
I think they would indeed be asking double of what we would expect for Maddison.

It would of course never happen anyway.

torchomatic

Feb 25, 2008
Warwick
Absolutely yes. At the moment Madders is potential whilst Arma is doing the business. Potential never won nowt.

Terry Gibson's perm

Mar 17, 2014
Nuneaton
Not the club for him he needs to go somewhere like Southampton to continue his development not getting lost in a big clubs under21's

Users who are viewing this thread