Are people forgetting? (1 Viewer)

pastythegreat

So a LOT of excitement from.everyome in the city regarding CCFC moving back to the city and back to the ricoh.

Personally, I think its a year too soon. There's no garuntee yet we'll be back to full capacity again next season so the "well sell 20k STs helping the clubs coffers" is still not valid. We're not losing money being at StAns (granted were not making any either) and are competitive (ish) even through huge lack of funds/budget. I dont think our first (still covid) season back at the ricoh will change that massively.
This time 12 months ago W**ps wants absolutely nothing to do with CCFC, full stop, no negotiations, no talks, nothing. Funny how 12 months later and a multi million pound stadium deal hangs solely on CCFC being there and ty want to talk. A multi million pound deal that we will see nothing of even though its only come in because of us.
W**ps have done noting for us in the past. Ignored us when we asked for better playing surfaces, shunned us when we asked for better F&B and eventually overseen us moving to StAns. Theyve lied to us (our move here will not negatively affect ccfc). Now it suits them more than us they come to us with an olive branch and give us a 10 year deal and f&b and all of a sudden the entire CCFC fan base forget everything from the past almost as if w**ps are doing us some massive favour. They clearly need us more than we need them, yet they're making a multi million pound sponsorship deal off of our name.
Best case scenario we stay put til they go bust. In reality, I feelnwe should have stayed put for one more season. Theyre desperate now, imagine how much more we could have had in our bargaining locker 12 months from now.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

RFC

So a LOT of excitement from.everyome in the city regarding CCFC moving back to the city and back to the ricoh.

Personally, I think its a year too soon. There's no garuntee yet we'll be back to full capacity again next season so the "well sell 20k STs helping the clubs coffers" is still not valid. We're not losing money being at StAns (granted were not making any either) and are competitive (ish) even through huge lack of funds/budget. I dont think our first (still covid) season back at the ricoh will change that massively.
This time 12 months ago W**ps wants absolutely nothing to do with CCFC, full stop, no negotiations, no talks, nothing. Funny how 12 months later and a multi million pound stadium deal hangs solely on CCFC being there and ty want to talk. A multi million pound deal that we will see nothing of even though its only come in because of us.
W**ps have done noting for us in the past. Ignored us when we asked for better playing surfaces, shunned us when we asked for better F&B and eventually overseen us moving to StAns. Theyve lied to us (our move here will not negatively affect ccfc). Now it suits them more than us they come to us with an olive branch and give us a 10 year deal and f&b and all of a sudden the entire CCFC fan base forget everything from the past almost as if w**ps are doing us some massive favour. They clearly need us more than we need them, yet they're making a multi million pound sponsorship deal off of our name.
Best case scenario we stay put til they go bust. In reality, I feelnwe should have stayed put for one more season. Theyre desperate now, imagine how much more we could have had in our bargaining locker 12 months from now.

I think it was always going to be this way but as long as it’s financially correct for the Club and the match day experience improves it’s a case of ‘suck it and see’ IMHO

Evo1883

I think them going bust is a pipedream... Reality is we are always better in Coventry and if that's sharing with Wasps then so be it... Stability and a better deal was needed and by all accounts we have it... Time to move forward

cov donkey kick

Pasty, your right in so many ways in your excellent post like you I believe the club doing membership and s/t will be a reduced number of fans allowed with a digital ifollow portion because boddy already come out and state clubs still don't know admissions another surge of covid lock downs so it will be a larger reduced number of m/s s/t.
As for the olive branch the wasps are hemmoraging money as are most clubs, you get the mayor involved and after so many false dawns re the ricoh plus covid and friendly new face of wasps you get a breakthrough.
Your right we could have put it back and play out St Andrews for the last season as per contract that was paid and make wasps wait. But the club boddy seppalla have made the decision and think we have to see if its a partnership that works. Will it bring on the pitch 6 defeats in best part of 2 full seasons?

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Its on judicial public record that SISU took the approach to try an bankrupt an organisation for financial gain. No longer it seems they want to pursue that that sort of approach and trying something else. It reads from your post that you wish that had continued in that.
Me personally just want to watch my team playing in Coventry which has countless benefits.

Grendel

Its on judicial public record that SISU took the approach to try an bankrupt an organisation for financial gain. No longer it seems they want to pursue that that sort of approach and trying something else. It reads from your post that you wish that had continued in that.
Me personally just want to watch my team playing in Coventry which has countless benefits.

The first attempt to bankrupt ACL was a pretty good strategy to be fair

cov donkey kick

The thing is no one knows boddy has come out and said it re crowds, hence continued membership for another season which says to me the same type as this season linked to digital, ifollow.
I did read an article 12 months ago by Simon Francis, the ex Palace chairman whereby he said this type of model would be the future so clubs can catch both types of supporters the armchair and the supporter who actually go to the games and clubs lower than Premier leagues get maximum income.
Think covid has accelerated that.

Garryb80

The thing is no one knows boddy has come out and said it re crowds, hence continued membership for another season which says to me the same type as this season linked to digital, ifollow.
I did read an article 12 months ago by Simon Francis, the ex Palace chairman whereby he said this type of model would be the future so clubs can catch both types of supporters the armchair and the supporter who actually go to the games and clubs lower than Premier leagues get maximum income.
Only because until June they don't know for certain. Once june 21st comes they can sell proper tickets. Ifollow won't be the same as it is now. Clubs will want fans in person not paying half to stay away.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

The first attempt to bankrupt ACL was a pretty good strategy to be fair
Obviously depends really on how a person judges what is and isn't acceptable.
Lets not go over old ground and just enjoy the moment and improved future prospects for Coventry. I think already some of us, maybe even that includes me with my response post, are falling back to pro SISU anti SISU camps.

Grendel

Crowds will be back in august

shmmeee

Obviously depends really on how a person judges what is and isn't acceptable.
Lets not go over old ground and just enjoy the moment and improved future prospects for Coventry. I think already some of us, maybe even that includes me with my response post, are falling back to pro SISU anti SISU camps.

Not really. It’s cost the club more than it will make it, it’s a failure on any objective terms.

covcity4life

Id agree. Except we’ve wasted how many years and had how much reduced income for Max ten years improved F&B at roughly 0.25m a year?

No way do the sums add up. That’s the point.
It does. We are championship with a history of silverware now. Have the mentally needed to get to prem

It's been a journey like an RPG game. Now we have levelled up to take the boss on again!

Gregbant

10 years ago the concept of Coventry not playing in Coventry was unthinkable, it should stay unthinkable, absolutely flabbergasted to see a fan suggesting we should stay in Brum.
Unfortunately SISU were far from innocent bystanders in this sorry mess and instigated most of the actions that led to this sorry state of affairs. If they felt for a second staying in brum for 12 months could put Wasps under and lead to us getting the Ricoh, which I don't think it would lead to us getting the Ricoh they would do it.
The EU complaint set SISU's latest plan back a step pretty sure they were negotiating 10 years prior to the EU complaint coming out. I also think the issue back then was the break clause not the F and B, SISU wanted this deal pre Birmingham.
Grendel is right the the attempt to put people out of business was at the wrong time. They should have addressed the rent before signing the takeover or straight away after. Also distressing a charity wasn't great PR, Tim Fisher as public facing wasnt wise either.
Collaboration is definitely the way ahead onwards and upwards. Who knows this deal may give us a budget bigger than 3 others next year when we stay up!!!

Last edited:

Skybluemichael

Id agree. Except we’ve wasted how many years and had how much reduced income for Max ten years improved F&B at roughly 0.25m a year?

No way do the sums add up. That’s the point.
I’d imagine if the EC thing goes sisu way, the first thing they will do is sue ccc for loss of earnings, by then wasps would have gone bust because they would have to pay the true value of the stadium, ccc would own the stadium as free holder, sisu get given the stadium to stop them claiming damages. That’s the dream

christonabike

I wouldn’t worry about Covid restrictions we will be back to 12 000 per game after the home coming like last time!
Too expensive got work blah blah blah.
I can’t go most midweek games but still get a season ticket as it all helps the club.

D

Deleted member 2477

Even though the council and wasps were golding them to ransom and the club would have gone out of business if they had given into their financial demands.
on this one Im fully supportive of what Sisu did to save our club

Hobo

They should have had a strategy to do it just after takeover when they had fan goodwill on their side.
I always said SISU could have got the fans on board. The fact they didn't and the path they took us down is their responsibility. Their PR was all over the place.

It is just good to be back in the city with a Manager, coaching staff and team that deserve supporting. Lots of positives but not out of the woods just yet.

AOM

People aren't forgetting, but they are trying to put things behind them now things are looking up. I don't think there is any point in raking over the past.

Exactly. Wasps aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so might as well just focus on ourselves and being at the Ricoh is the best option we have at the moment

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion but i don't think i agree with it in lots of ways

First and foremost people are not forgetting what wasps did, equally they are not forgetting what SISU did to our club. You can not stay bitter or angry forever and at some point you look forward and move on - that is what most people are doing.

I have seen more people on here bigging up SISU than wasps to be honest. I dont forget what any of the entities in this saga have done personally but lifes too short. Not going to get in to who said what, when or how greatly, its been done to death but my recollection of time lines and facts is different to some posters on here.

What i would say is the SISU plan was clever but ultimately failed because they didnt address the core issue from the start and that sole omission has cost our club millions. The first "end game" that SISU planned very nearly worked and was a lot lot closer to success than people realise, SISU got very close (a few weeks) to getting the stadium cut price before CCC bailed it out. They got the timing wrong and failed to consider CCC had other options. It and subsequent actions have cost the club millions and the fans so much hurt. Does that solely blame them absolutely not

Did wasps play with a straight bat this time last year no. Did SISU ? no Did wasps look to assist CCFC get what it needed - not particularly. Did either side play fair? no Did both sides try to fight for their own club, and put that club & interests first ? - absolutely. Did wasps "lie" i would suggest no more than our owners have - both as bad as each other.

Would wasps go bust in 12 months time? Probably not, Richardson & co can not afford to allow that to happen for starters. The biggest sigh of relief for wasps was not that CCFC are coming back but for the vaccines working so they can open up for business again. CCFC is part of that, but so is wasps rugby, the hotel, the events etc. Wasps earn from the new ccfc rent, probably get a slice of F&B etc but most of the income from ccfc matchdays goes to CCFC and there is likely to be more of it at the Ricoh

People seem to ignore the fact that CCFC are also vulnerable financially. Team is winning so all must be ok ..... really? Are they making profits right now ? i doubt it

Wasps didnt offer the olive branch for any other reason than self interest - what is wrong with that? SISU accepted the olive branch for exactly the same reason

Can CCFC survive more years at St Andrews? Debatable. in the 2020 accounts i expect to see CCFC at least at break even - just consider the player transfer profits to be included in that year whilst in L1, they were substantial. The costs were stable and reasonably low, there was some match day income, good commercial income in terms of shirts, a share of F&B etc etc.

Fast forward to 2020/21 season. The major costs, wages & rent remain, and in the case of the former probably increased player wages on promotion. Some drop in other expenses and stewarding obviously. but what about commercial income? player sales? F&B? where are they The player trading in 20/21 was based on the player trading in the previous year i would think there has been no big sales this season have there? Increased TV money in Championship yes some of that eaten up by Covid protocols & tests. SISU do not have a big pot of money to put in to the club, in fact they took out a net £1m in 2019.

Take that forward to 2021/22. Stay at St Andrews. You would like to think there would be more interest and bigger crowds than in 2019/20 but........ ST Andrews has serious problems, stands closed or requiring major refurbishment. So half the ground closed max CCFC crowd down to 4000 if (25% limit imposed) max crowd potential 16000? What if the worst happened and we got relegated?

SISU, and quite rightly, will have looked at the options available and a return this next season you would think is the best one for them. Thats not saying the best for CCFC but the best for SISU's objectives. If it wasnt then we would still be at St Andrews i have no doubt

Remains to be seen if there is a stadium sponsorship deal in the offing and whether CCFC gets a slice of it. if we progress then you could argue it adds to value, were we to get relegated does that detract?

Sorry i dont agree with your post but it is just my opinion. Personally i am pleased and excited that CCFC will be playing at the Ricoh next season. I havent a forgotten any of the last decade though, be it the actions of SISU, CCC, EFL or wasps....... just parked it

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I can see why some people want to follow a strategy of killing Wasps but I don't agree for two main reasons. Firstly I don't think it likely that we could realistically outlast them and secondly because I really, really cannot stand the thought of having to get to St Andrews for the next god knows how many seasons. I don't think people have forgotten anything, they just want to watch the team play and to have the best chance of success...that comes from playing games at the Ricoh for me.

Brylowes

I wouldn’t worry about Covid restrictions we will be back to 12 000 per game after the home coming like last time!
Too expensive got work blah blah blah.
I can’t go most midweek games but still get a season ticket as it all helps the club.
And that will be the case for some people won’t it, cost will be beyond some people’s means.

Users who are viewing this thread