Anyone else losing confidence in Thorn? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Sheepy

not sure thats how i saw it, they couldn't even manage short passes in the first half, and look at chopra no tackles!! i personally will put it down to just a bad day at the Office and pray that Sat they come out fighting and play better, beacuse if we lose i can see a nasty slide occuring that will be difficault to halt!!
Yeah true, you never know what he's specifically told them to do, but hopefully he'll learn from it and stop them doing it again!

Grendel

I never had any confidence in Thorn

I think Thorn is a problem. He is a yes man for Sisu. I don't like the way he jumped on the ant-Boothroyd bandwagon last season claiming he was going to change to entertaining football. The only reason we won games last season was because King clicked into gear at just the right time. I see nothing positive about him. No other club would consider him as a manager he is the cheap option for Sisu and will take us down.

kg82

I think Thorn is a problem. He is a yes man for Sisu. I don't like the way he jumped on the ant-Boothroyd bandwagon last season claiming he was going to change to entertaining football. The only reason we won games last season was because King clicked into gear at just the right time. I see nothing positive about him. No other club would consider him as a manager he is the cheap option for Sisu and will take us down.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

smileycov

Facebook User

What tosh........your opinion of course. Thorn will not take us down, HAVING NO SQUAD, A TEAM OF KIDS AND A SHITE BOARD THAT WONT SPEND A FECKIN PENNY MAY TAKE US DOWN!! but not Thorn :whistle:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

And you expect him to stand there and openly crticise or talk down his employers do you whilst expecting them to even consider funding any new additions ?:facepalm: Please tell me who wasnt on the anti Boothroyd football style bandwagon, his style of football is easily some of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to sit through. King would have been no good without the rest of the team getting the ball to him and that happened because of the change in style - plus you ignore that Juke chipped in with end of season goals. Of course he is a cheaper option, we cant afford Sir Alex, but if we go down it wont be just because of the manager there is much more to it than that. Entitled to your opinion but i have got to disagree with it and find it naiive

covcity4life

keogh has been our best player all season possibly,a great CB

but saying that i wouldnt mind seeing him mvoed back to RB as he is more attacking than cyrus and have cameron come into the CB berth

Ernie Machin

We all love a scapegoat, but this is taking the absolute piss. Putting last night down to Thorn is beyond mental. Keep the faith, kittens.

And you expect him to stand there and openly crticise or talk down his employers do you whilst expecting them to even consider funding any new additions ?:facepalm: Please tell me who wasnt on the anti Boothroyd football style bandwagon, his style of football is easily some of the worst I have ever had the misfortune to sit through. King would have been no good without the rest of the team getting the ball to him and that happened because of the change in style - plus you ignore that Juke chipped in with end of season goals. Of course he is a cheaper option, we cant afford Sir Alex, but if we go down it wont be just because of the manager there is much more to it than that. Entitled to your opinion but i have got to disagree with it and find it naiive

I feel this is Thorn real test now. Biggest defeat since he took charge and a big game at home to a team in a similar position to us. I hope he has a plan B because teams will do what Ipswich did last night and over do us in midfield. Be interesting to bring this thread up in a month or so.
I hope I’m wrong but i feel Thorn been inexperienced manager might show over the forthcoming weeks.

Otis

keogh has been our best player all season possibly,a great CB

but saying that i wouldnt mind seeing him mvoed back to RB as he is more attacking than cyrus and have cameron come into the CB berth

He is fine on the deck but struggles in the air and is not commanding enough and quite often let's the attacker get the better of him. He worries me a little at centre back. Neither Cranie or Keogh are commanding enough.

sky blue john

Thorn is doing the best he can with the players available. Look at what players we had on the bench last night he was hardly blessed with options to change a game and this will allways be the issue when our squad is to light in numbers and quality.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Either way Mumford I reckon we are stuck with one option and thats AT. Feel sorry for him in lots of ways because we have wasted money on other managers which has only made things harder for AT. It will be interesting to see if AT has more substance than the diamond formation and whether his powers of motivation are up to it. He hasnt had the finance thrown at him other rising managers have at this club but he has to prove he has the knowledge to lead the squad through tough times - fingers crossed he has. Just think some are being a bit quick to doubt the manager, perhaps am a bit more patient. Given the finances at the club or for player acquisitions how does anyone think they will do better?

sky blue john

We have to remember that we lost players over the summer that have not been replaced. With those players we were able to just stay above the relegation places. Its likely we are going to be in a relegation battle this year but I am relatively confident that there will be three worse teams than us. We need to make sure we get results against the teams who will be in and around us. You might say that Ipswich were down with us but with the quality and experiance they were in a false position. We looked poor defensively last night but that will get better with players coming back from injuries. We also created plenty of scoring chances so there is hope and no need to be pressing the panic button and getting on the managers back.

Ernie Machin

You know what this club needs? Another manager to lose faith in within a couple of months. Then sack them and get another one. It's worked for the last 10 years, so why not?

I hear Peter Reid is available.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Wouldnt say im losing patience with him. Yes he is naive, yes hes still learning, but what would we get from changing manager AGAIN?? One of the positives of having AT in charge is that ALL these players are ones he has brought to the club (with the exception of Platt. Hes only here cus of Boothroyd imo). If someone new came in, whats to say he wants any of the players we currently have?? Most of our players are average at best imo. No one is going to want to work with that!

wingy

What would panic and a knejerk reaction achieve,a change at the top would'nt effect anything ,idoubt theres a manager out there who could get more from this squad,current form if you project it through the season suggests a total of 38points ,atleast fifteen short of survival,we are likely to loose two more players in jan to fund the remainder of the season,draw you're own conclusions.

Wallace

So what some of you are saying is that you are better coaches than AT and Harrison? Since being relegated AT has given us some of the best football I have seen, from us.

A few of you did point out and it is true, you have to take into consideration the opposition, who will challenge this season, and if Cranie hadn't scored for them the game would have been different.

AT is the best manager we have had for years.

skybluebolland

So what some of you are saying is that you are better coaches than AT and Harrison? Since being relegated AT has given us some of the best football I have seen, from us.

A few of you did point out and it is true, you have to take into consideration the opposition, who will challenge this season, and if Cranie hadn't scored for them the game would have been different.

AT is the best manager we have had for years.

To be fair, on football manager I did get promoted in my first season with cov, sooooooooo........ awkward

Sub

why some people saying they are losing faith in thorn is very suprising, we played badly but it happens, the amount of kids we have playing and against mainly ex prem players the chances on us losing were high. Cody was unlucky and with a few more games he will put those chances away AT made changes but it wasn't to be and we lost. We need some loan players and badly but we have said we needed players from the start of the season and i will be very suprised if we get some. But AT has still got his hands tied with cash restrictions and that will not change, so i wouldnt be suprised to see us get beat a few more times like ipswich:mad::mad: but hopefully there will be wins to, and hopefully we will stay up!!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
If you put yesterdays performance and the season in general down to Thorn then I'm afraid you are quite naïve and short sited - the problem at this football club is a much bigger beast then just whoever the manager is. Chopping and changing all the time doesn't work, I'd say Thorn is a better manager then Jewell but you only have to look at the budget both have had. Can't believe how much panic one result brings about, quick change the manager, players and formation. I'd keep the same squad, this squad got us a point away at Boro and a win against Derby who are both up there. I think people have totally unrealistic expectations to be honest.

while u cant blame thorn for the mess we are in, i think some fans need to look at themselves and realise he isnt the messiah some seem to think, at the end of the day he had a decent honeymoon period, as most caretakers do, and the club are so skint there was no other option but to appoint him, even under him last season we lost to relegated preston and drew at home to relegated scunthorpe. i like the bloke but a nice bloke dont make a good manager but at the end of the we have to support him, i think the best thing thorny could do is stop talking about how well the lads look in training, and how they are flying, we dont care, it is on the pitch that counts, i still give him my backing but unless we bring in 3 or 4 then we have absolutely no chance of avoiding the drop

sky_blue_up_north

At this moment in time how can anyone blame Andy Thorn, he has had little budget to bring in new players, had to deal with all the off field problems, multi tasking do scouting managing, he has even got a brush shoved up his arse to clean the floors at the same time. The lot I don't have confidence in is the board...

Grendel

OK what other club would ever consider him as manager?

Nonleagueherewecome

Seriously? Losing confidence? Look, if it's not working, why wait? Bigi wasn't getting any joy. Both Keogh and Cranie say their best position is CB, so how are they playing out of position. Sometimes the other team are just better. And they've been good so far this season.

Keogh says he is a RB. On the record he has said he'll play where the manager selects him if he thinks it's best for the side-he's a good honest pro, of course he will. But I have it on rock solid authority that he would rather be at RB!

Agree with you otherwise though. And yes, AT is bound to make some mistakes. But the hand he's been dealt makes his task near impossible. The reason he struggled to expand on the point about it being a "game too far" for the kids is because he doesn't really have alternatives. McPake or Cameron in and Keogh to RB is one, and as it's the only real area that I disagree with AT on, I'll be most chuffed if we see that on Saturday. Nowt against Cyrus, or Gael, but the kids just need a rest and to regroup-like Cameron and Clarke and even Turner have done in the past. It's mental fatigue as much as physical. We are the footballing equivalent of the Victorians sending kids down the mines on 60 hour weeks.

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh and on "gloatwatch"..myself and I think a few others including OSB did say that this would happen-you can't play kids for 46 games a season and expect them to be consistent throughout. At worst, it can break them.

shmmeee

Thorn for me is much like an Academy player. He's new to the game, he'll make mistakes, but as long as he shows enough promise it's worth keeping him around. I have no doubt the average of more than 1 manager a year is a massive contributing factor to just how poor we've been over the last few years. I wouldn't have sacked any of the past 3 managers when we did, but the fans start clamouring and then the board reacts.

I'd also argue that he was let down by his players last night (from what I saw, the stream was spotty and I saw nothing after 65 minutes) we are in blatant need of at least one quality midfielder and without it we'll continue to be ineffectual against a team with the likes of Bullard and Bowyer in the middle.

But yes, AT has a lot to learn, but I'm happy for him to learn here. Even if we did go down, I'd rather watch us lose under Thorn than win under any manager since Black.

Otis

'At worst, it can break them.'

Been my fear too.

When I mentioned it on here there were plenty saying 'if you're good enough you're old enough' but it is never that simple. Danger of burn out, too much pressure on them before they've had chance to develop and it can sometimes send them backwards in their development too.

Sorry, but anyone on here or elsewhere who said it would be fine to play these young kids week in week out for the entire season is misguided to say the least.

Johnnythespider

Yes, let's sack him, sack him now. Unbelievable, anyone who thinks this team, staying in this league, is going to be anything other than a miracle, should pay there doctor a visit and ask for a change of medication. A.T's tactics are governed by what he has available to him, which isn't very much. There are going to be many more downs this season, i suggest we all get used to it.
Andy Thorns sky blue army!!!!!!!

shmmeee

Been my fear too.

When I mentioned it on here there were plenty saying 'if you're good enough you're old enough' but it is never that simple. Danger of burn out, too much pressure on them before they've had chance to develop and it can sometimes send them backwards in their development too.

Sorry, but anyone on here or elsewhere who said it would be fine to play these young kids week in week out for the entire season is misguided to say the least.

It's not been an entire season, and the whole team had a bad game. It's a little too early to be gloating...

skyblueinBaku

Don't be so stupid.:slap::slap:

Marty

Been my fear too.

You're right, I said the same thing a few weeks ago, but got shot down in flames by the 'know it alls'. The youth can't be expected to perform every week. in an ideal world 2-3 games in 2-3 games out. and with the number we have in defence Christie needs to be 'rested', Gael & Thomas should be rotating as well. It'll be the best for their development to have that break every couple of weeks.

I didn't read all the responses, just enough to get my heckles up with my fellow Coventry fans. After one performance, Cameron is a better player than Cranie? Keogh needs to go to right back and Christie should be dropped? Watch more games.

Last night, Bigi was ineffective and was taken off promptly. Not the end of the world. Christie looked to be tiring and Cameron came on to allow Keogh to try to push forward. I don't think they are ridiculous decisions.

Some here have incredibly short memories... Andy Thorn came in last season with ten games remaining and irrevocably changed our style of play for the better. It had been truly awful under Boothroyd and for a good time under Coleman too. A yes man for Sisu? No, a disappointed rookie manager who is looking to outlast a board I am certain he feels like he could do without. He's new to his first job in management. He used to be Chief Scout, but he doesn't want a more supportive board behind him? Should he have quit to gained your respect? No, don't be ridiculous just because you are disappointed by a loss. He had the fullbacks bombing on and it wasn't his fault that Hussey's delivery was beyond useless and Christie wasn't his usual self. We prefer Bigi to Bell, granted. We were two goals down, if you are going to change personnel in the middle of the park rather than the system, it appeared to be the more likely change to get a goal back and carried out decisively. It didn't work. Hindsight is handy, eh?

Opinions are to be applauded, but only when they are more in line with my own. Try harder, you lot.

Last edited:

Becksy

I take the point that we were outplayed big time last night but I certainly don't think it's time to turn on Thorn. The Ipswich midfield was made up of some very experienced ex- Premiership players and they ran things all night. Its all very well saying he should have replaced players sooner or later or he should have done this or that but who exactly was he going to replace the inexperienced 17 year old Bigi with? Maybe the er... experienced Conor Thomas? (This by the way is the same Bigi that everyone has been raving about up until last night.)

The bottom line is that when you are working with limited resources you have limited options and this unfortunately showed last night and will no doubt again at points throughout the season. I still don't think it's time for all the knee jerk reactions, we learned last night that we do not have strength in depth and that we need to rely on the kids but we knew that already.

I just wish the senior players would stand up and be counted, Bell and Mcsheff were yet again way below par.

Users who are viewing this thread