And the band played on. (unfortunatly) (1 Viewer)

thaiskyblue

Having watched the England game last night is it only me but i cannot stand that band, it creates such a false , plastic atmostphere, and they cannot play any way, well got up today turned on Euro sport to watch Portugal v Sweden, and what do they have a bloody band, admitidlly they could play better than the sheffield lot, but no, no no, does any one think they add to to match experience ?:thinking about:

LastGarrison

No.

But they aren't as bad as those silly arse blow up things that the kids hit together to make a noise.

Fuck right off.

oscillatewildly

No, they do not add anything except annoyance. On the continent(s) they have been a part of the matchday "experience" for decades, which is fair enough. Over here, their introduction has come too late for most to accept as part of the British game. Remember the guy with his drum on the west terrace early/mid nineties? He didn't last long did he?

C

Clive Plattini

They all get free tickets as well. Winds me right up.

CJ_covblaze

Are you sure they get free tickets? They were on our flight out to Kiev. I asked them if they get anything FOC and they said they didn't. They're sponsored by Pucka Pies who probably put in a little bit to help them out.

Gotta say they've never really bothered me. If anything it's nice to actually have a bit of noise at Wembley. When they're not playing you could hear a pin drop in Watford from that place.

thaiskyblue

No, they do not add anything except annoyance. On the continent(s) they have been a part of the matchday "experience" for decades, which is fair enough. Over here, their introduction has come too late for most to accept as part of the British game. Remember the guy with his drum on the west terrace early/mid nineties? He didn't last long did he?
is that where this new trend of both teams on the same scarf has come from ?, what a load of B*******. Football for me was us against them. May be i'm just getting old.

oscillatewildly

is that where this new trend of both teams on the same scarf has come from ?, what a load of B*******. Football for me was us against them. May be i'm just getting old.
Our grandfathers grandfathers would be turning in their graves! Not a raincoat/flat cap combo or capstan full strength dangling from the lips to be seen at any ground today. The game, just a tiny facet of life, is prone to the trends that come with an ever changing world. I, like yourself thai cling to elements of the "old school". My first game was last of the 1974/75 season and it's fair to say the game has moved on socially and in other respects massively since then. Do you think in 20/30 years time when we've just played our third game of the season on jupiter under the current football league franchising agreement, that we'll look back fondly on those good old days of the bloke with drum and split scarves?

Last edited:

valiant15

I like the band and my lad always gets me to buy him a split scarf lol. I think they added to a shite atmosphere and a shite game last night. I didn't even know chile had scored a second until we were out of the ground.

The greyhound pub has closed down which was a bummer :-(

Ashdown1

Probably get slaughtered for this but I preferred football when it was attended and dominated mainly by working class blokes, having a few beers, a bit of banter and very often some tension or stand off with the opposition supporters, meaty tackles, players that didn't roll around like fairies, the smells of Ciggies and cigars in the stands, raucous atmosphere { The type where you came out with your ears ringing}, less fussy refs, Opposition fans having more identity I'E Sheffield-steelworkers, Newcastle-Pitboys, different types of Londoners, Leicester-Knicker stitchers etc etc., people not glued to bloody mobile phones, Terracing, swirling crowds, teasing the old bill.
All better days IMHO !

skybluefred

Probably get slaughtered for this but I preferred football when it was attended and dominated mainly by working class blokes, having a few beers, a bit of banter and very often some tension or stand off with the opposition supporters, meaty tackles, players that didn't roll around like fairies, the smells of Ciggies and cigars in the stands, raucous atmosphere { The type where you came out with your ears ringing}, less fussy refs, Opposition fans having more identity I'E Sheffield-steelworkers, Newcastle-Pitboys, different types of Londoners, Leicester-Knicker stitchers etc etc., people not glued to bloody mobile phones, Terracing, swirling crowds, teasing the old bill.
All better days IMHO !

Are you old enough to remember Les Cook and Jack Snape playing for the (Bantams)--That's Coventry before JH.
You knew if a City player got badly fouled Cook would take revenge and if he missed Snape never did.

Hobo

Are you old enough to remember Les Cook and Jack Snape playing for the (Bantams)--That's Coventry before JH.
You knew if a City player got badly fouled Cook would take revenge and if he missed Snape never did.

That is why Hungary beat England 6-3 at Goodison in 1949 and 7-1 in Hungary in 1953. The FA in England were and still are a bunch of Luddites.

fernandopartridge

Having watched the England game last night is it only me but i cannot stand that band, it creates such a false , plastic atmostphere, and they cannot play any way, well got up today turned on Euro sport to watch Portugal v Sweden, and what do they have a bloody band, admitidlly they could play better than the sheffield lot, but no, no no, does any one think they add to to match experience ?:thinking about:

The band should be banned.

dadgad

Footy was proper when you were squeezed in so hard your feet never touched ground. The night matches with the intense green grass, floodlights with rain and Woodbines. And the smell of the programmes with Bovril and sweet tea. Chants, rattles and booing the ref and their "hard" man. Then the goals, the twinkling numbers on the scoreboard and the walk home, soaked but happy.

Users who are viewing this thread