American billionaire John McEvoy considers bid for club (1 Viewer)

rexo87

FWIW I think Ashley would look at buying the stadium without Wasps and with a view to doing a deal to buy us. Really doesn't sound like any sort of deal will be done for anyone to buy both Wasps Rugby Club and the CBS

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Brylowes

Isn’t Ashley primarily interested in London Wasps and the stadium? The only place where it’s been claimed that we’re the main goal is on here out of hope more than anything else.
Why on earth would any business man ‘worth his salt’ be looking to rescue Wasps (or any other rugby club ‘for that matter) from the brink of financial oblivion, the numbers simply don’t stack up.
The public interest in the sport simply isn’t there, it then follows that the money within the game ie: sponsorship, TV revenue, merchandise, gate receipts etc are massively limited even in areas where the rugby club share a long rich history with their host town/city.
Looking at Wasps, and analysing their time so far in Coventry, what would you see that might convince you to invest your money and have real hopes of seeing a short, mid, or long term financial reward.
Coventry City may well have been a complete and utter basket case, maybe they still are, but the game they play has the interest of a huge proportion of the population, because of that the potential financial rewards are huge.
At the end of the day that’s all any potential investors will be interested in, risk reward.

Flying Fokker

Why on earth would any business man ‘worth his salt’ be looking to rescue Wasps (or any other rugby club ‘for that matter) from the brink of financial oblivion, the numbers simply don’t stack up.
The public interest in the sport simply isn’t there, it then follows that the money within the game ie: sponsorship, TV revenue, merchandise, gate receipts etc are massively limited even in areas where the rugby club share a long rich history with their host town/city.
Looking at Wasps, and analysing their time so far in Coventry, what would you see that might convince you to invest your money and have real hopes of seeing a short, mid, or long term financial reward.
Coventry City may well have been a complete and utter basket case, maybe they still are, but the game they play has the interest of a huge proportion of the population, because of that the potential financial rewards are huge.
At the end of the day that’s all any potential investors will be interested in, risk reward.
Great post. Plus , with the climate as it is, People will not rush to any sport unless they can afford it. Wasps as an entity needs a benevolent owner. Any investment in the businesss will need a long-term strategy whether City is involved or not.

skyblu3sk

I guess the difference between Rugby and Football from an investment perspective is there isn't a land of milk and honey in Rugby that you can take a risk and maybe get premiership money. Premiership money in Rugby can't sustain the teams therefore you need to be more risk averse when taking on a Rugby club or be happy to take the losses of course. That isn't going to change any time soon.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I guess the difference between Rugby and Football from an investment perspective is there isn't a land of milk and honey in Rugby that you can take a risk and maybe get premiership money. Premiership money in Rugby can't sustain the teams therefore you need to be more risk averse when taking on a Rugby club or be happy to take the losses of course. That isn't going to change any time soon.
Yup and when the existing teams' owners sold the 30% of future income to that investment firm, it reduced the number of potential new owners hugely.

Gynnsthetonic

It's a shit sport, great in the 70s when anyone could of played, gone all American football now where you have to be a certain size and build to play

NorthernWisdom

Thing is, the Premiership money is a fallacy anyway, as costs rise exponentially if you want to stay there, so clubs run at huge losses because of that, along with the risk of meltdown and failure.

What Rugby does offer is the opportunity to be European champions for a fraction of the cost of doing the same in football.

higgs

I heard James is trying to organise a takeover there will be a free bar at the cbs at the first game

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Thing is, the Premiership money is a fallacy anyway, as costs rise exponentially if you want to stay there, so clubs run at huge losses because of that, along with the risk of meltdown and failure.

What Rugby does offer is the opportunity to be European champions for a fraction of the cost of doing the same in football.
Not under Ashley it wouldn’t… we’re a flipping opportunity, you’re looking at the idea of winning things - football is a better investment because if you spend correctly, get to the premier league, Ashley could sell us for an inflated £150m as a vanity project

shmmeee

Lads I'm usually upbeat and I would love John McEvoy to be our new owner - but I have it on very good authority it's not happening.
giphy.gif

SHUNT31

Lads I'm usually upbeat and I would love John McEvoy to be our new owner - but I have it on very good authority it's not happening.

Does that mean SISU are insistent the club isn’t for sale? Perhaps I’m being to naive here, but maybe SISU are actively trying to purchase the lease?

A lot of people worried about what SISU would do with the lease but it will be assigned to the club with covenants not allowing it to be transferred etc so would be no risk to the club and the owners wouldn’t be able to sell it.

It would make the club 5 times more valuable offering an escape route for SISU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Clearly never going to happen, but it’s been a miserable season so far. So Football Manager time: what would you do if you were a billionaire coming in?

Go all out in Jan? Replace Robins?

Personally I’d give Robins enough to bring in 3-5 in Jan on real quality and see what he does with it. If we don’t look like picking up sack him off and get Klopp or whoever billionaire owners get. If he does well give him a warchest for a summer rebuild when we haven’t wasted the first quarter of the season.

Skipping back a couple days here, but you think about some of the players we’ve supposedly been interested in but beaten to or couldn’t afford, and it would be quite encouraging. Doesn’t take an awful lot of investment in transfer fees to make a significant step forward, but maybe someone/some way of underwriting a 25% increase in the wage bill. Still have to sell smartly as well.

shmmeee

Skipping back a couple days here, but you think about some of the players we’ve supposedly been interested in but beaten to or couldn’t afford, and it would be quite encouraging. Doesn’t take an awful lot of investment in transfer fees to make a significant step forward, but maybe someone/some way of underwriting a 25% increase in the wage bill. Still have to sell smartly as well.

I think for not huge amounts you could assemble this squad which would challenge:

GK/Moore
RWB/Dabo
Hyam/Rose
Fadz
JCS/ Loanee (Doyle/Panzo)
Bidwell/Loanee (Maatsen/Giles)
Hamer/CM
Sheaf/Eccles
Palmer/O’Hare
Gyokeres/ST
Godden/Tavares

Less than £5m there I reckon in fees and with deadwood gone not a massive wage increase from the summer. And I’d back that squad to finish top six.

Last edited:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Not sure of the right thread but given Dawkins is the face of this “take over”. Not that this is really news, but our famous city fan, Tom Grennan, was on the fantasy football show talking about his beloved United and not once mentioning City. Nothing like a bit of PR/marketing.

robbiekeane

Not sure of the right thread but given Dawkins is the face of this “take over”. Not that this is really news, but our famous city fan, Tom Grennan, was on the fantasy football show talking about his beloved United and not once mentioning City. Nothing like a bit of PR/marketing.

Nobody ever said he was a city fan did they?

Saddlebrains

This was never happening

Dawkins for a start

And if someone is a billionaire its nit hard to find that info. McEvoy is barely on a Google search

Torquay Sky Blue

Virtual world . McEvoy takes over. Last day of season and Grennan hits the winner on the back of a O'Hare hatrick to send us to the premiership.
Reality world. Sisu still in charge, Waghorn misses pen and Hamer sent off in a home game at Burton and we're relegated .

shmmeee

This was never happening

Dawkins for a start

And if someone is a billionaire its nit hard to find that info. McEvoy is barely on a Google search

I mean the guy very obviously exists. But yeah Dawkins being involved was a dead giveaway

Users who are viewing this thread