Allen injury (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

You either go with the officials' judgements by eye, or you use technology.

The point I was making is that if you change the offside rule to 'clear space' between defender and attacker (as opposed to part of the attacker being ahead of the defender) you don't make it any easier to judge. You've just moved the dividing line between onside and offside.

Makes it easier for VAR surely. 👀

Calista

Makes it easier for VAR surely. 👀
Probably a bit easier, but it would depend if they were still going to draw such narrow lines. If so, you'd still have that millimetre judgement as to whether there is 'clear space' or not.

I think the lines should be wider / fuzzier, and in the case of overlap, give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. And if offside can't be declared within (say) 10 seconds, it's onside. Taking minutes to decide is awful for the game.

mrfr

Probably a bit easier, but it would depend if they were still going to draw such narrow lines. If so, you'd still have that millimetre judgement as to whether there is 'clear space' or not.

I think the lines should be wider / fuzzier, and in the case of overlap, give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. And if offside can't be declared within (say) 10 seconds, it's onside. Taking minutes to decide is awful for the game.
That’s effectively how it works in cricket with the fuzzy bit being ‘umpires call’ which feels wholly unsatisfying because you get to look at the ball hitting the wickets only for the batsman to then not be given out. I think you’d have the same frustrating experience if you made the line wider and then drew that on top of a still image which shows the attacker being clearly on or offside.

I think a better solution would be to get rid of the live on screen reviews, make it work as similarly to goal line technology as possible as a aid to the official as opposed to an alternative system of officiating. Players are all wearing computers in the back of their shirts already, on-field officials already have watches that relay decisions to them.

ProfessorbyGrace

At this point I'm allowing myself to get wound up by them View attachment 33918
To be perfectly honest, I’ve always considered their fans to be particularly strange, with that obnoxious/moronic/neanderthal flavouring chucked in.

We’ve burnt them three times this season now, and their players are just as much fannies as their fans are.

Hopefully, we’ll never have to cross paths with them again, for a while.

chiefdave

That’s effectively how it works in cricket with the fuzzy bit being ‘umpires call’ which feels wholly unsatisfying because you get to look at the ball hitting the wickets only for the batsman to then not be given out. I think you’d have the same frustrating experience if you made the line wider and then drew that on top of a still image which shows the attacker being clearly on or offside.
I've said this so many times and I'm amazed it's not picked up more by the media.

There absolutely has to be an equivalent of umpires call. The reason umpires call exists is due to the limits of the technology and the mathematics around how accurate it can be.

Same applies with trying to use VAR to judge marginal offsides. Do the maths and you'll find the margin of error is huge when you factor in speed of the ball, speed players are moving at and the camera frame rate. Quite simply it is impossible for the tech to be as accurate as they are claiming it to be.

shmmeee

I've said this so many times and I'm amazed it's not picked up more by the media.

There absolutely has to be an equivalent of umpires call. The reason umpires call exists is due to the limits of the technology and the mathematics around how accurate it can be.

Same applies with trying to use VAR to judge marginal offsides. Do the maths and you'll find the margin of error is huge when you factor in speed of the ball, speed players are moving at and the camera frame rate. Quite simply it is impossible for the tech to be as accurate as they are claiming it to be.

This. They use broadcast feeds at 50 fps, which considering my phone does 240 fps seems ridiculous. It can’t cost that much to set up dedicated VAR cameras surely?

napolimp

Did they? Genuinely didn’t hear it above the standing ovation.

The did, but it was quickly drowned out by the applause from the home fans. They then began to make their way out of the ground, and back to the comfort of spaces under various bridges.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
This is the moment of contact, so although the ref was looking in that direction, there was no way he had a proper view of the contact.

View attachment 33910

but why isn’t the 4th official getting involved? How far down the line is the Lino? Yes the ref is in charge but he can’t do it all on his own 🤷🏼‍♂

steve cooper

but why isn’t the 4th official getting involved? How far down the line is the Lino? Yes the ref is in charge but he can’t do it all on his own 🤷🏼‍♂
Yes, I'm not making any excuses for the officials, my point was more in line with the need for it to be restospectively reviewed as the ref obviously didn't see it, even though the point was made earlier in the thread that the ref was looking straight at it.

Robinshio

The issue is we have played Wednesday twice. We need them to have a full team against our challengers so maybe not to our advantage to get him banned

and as regards their supporters just look at Yorkshire cricket club for racism in that area

Brighton Sky Blue

The issue is we have played Wednesday twice. We need them to have a full team against our challengers so maybe not to our advantage to get him banned

and as regards their supporters just look at Yorkshire cricket club for racism in that area
I mean if your teammate has had his face broken, you’d want the culprit punished.

robbiethemole

You really think they will have any impact on our challengers? They’re shit and they’re dropping and so they should as far as I’m concerned

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As others have mentioned the margin of error is huge, so the lines to reflect that should be really thick.

hamertime

Don’t think anyone has to worry about seeing them for a while, league one is hard to get out of and with their growing distain for the owner it’s going to get toxic.

skybluericoh

Don’t think anyone has to worry about seeing them for a while, league one is hard to get out of and with their growing distain for the owner it’s going to get toxic.
I think they are in serious financial trouble. Season ticket sales are cash only. Take the cash, if they go bust or you need to challenge the purchase, you could be in a spot of bother. City did this at HR might have been the last season there and we know what followed. I think they are in a worse state then we were.

shmmeee

Incidents like this we should be able to claim six weeks wages from Sheff Wed TBH. No discussion here was a blatant attempt by them to injure our player.

chiefdave

Incidents like this we should be able to claim six weeks wages from Sheff Wed TBH. No discussion here was a blatant attempt by them to injure our player.
Not at fault apparently, at least according to the EFL
Robins was fuming afterwards, calling on the FA to look at the incident, but today revealed that no retrospective action will be taken against the Owls’ player.

Users who are viewing this thread