Adam johnson ( nottingham panthers ) dies in freak accident (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

So I've unfortunately seen the video of this incident , and it's so sad ..

A player falls over and on his way down lifts his leg and slices the throat of Adam johnson with his blade on the way down .. how utterly devastating for everybody involved and Adams family .. RIP

rob9872

Wish I'd not seen that. His poor teammates too, especially the one holding him as he skates away.

RIP

TomRad85

It really looks deliberate.
Deliberately trying to hurt the opposition seems to be a part of the sport so I'm calling it as deliberate. Obviously he didn't mean to kill him but if he meant the kick out it could be considered man slaughter surely?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

So I've unfortunately seen the video of this incident , and it's so sad ..

A player falls over and on his way down lifts his leg and slices the throat of Adam johnson with his blade on the way down .. how utterly devastating for everybody involved and Adams family .. RIP
You know you gave me enough warning, and still I went looking for it.

I really wish I hadn't.

stupot07

Looks deliberate to me. There is no reason ever that someone skate should be that high. The umpire and players instantly knew he was in trouble.

I really wish I hadn't seen it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Paul Anthony

Yes, that must have been an absolute horrific thing to witness in person.

Evo1883

Haven't looked into it , but has anything been said in regards to the probability or not of it being deliberate ? Police etc ?

Brighton Sky Blue

Deliberately trying to hurt the opposition seems to be a part of the sport so I'm calling it as deliberate. Obviously he didn't mean to kill him but if he meant the kick out it could be considered man slaughter surely?

If you did it in public it would be, so you’d assume it is in this case.

TomRad85

So looked at a lot of comments from people who play and watch the sport way more, seems to be an agreement that was in no way an accident. I hope they come down hard on the offending player.

Nick

Administrator
So looked at a lot of comments from people who play and watch the sport way more, seems to be an agreement that was in no way an accident. I hope they come down hard on the offending player.

Just don't get why his leg went up like that. Doesn't seem natural

rob9872

Trying to hurt surely not the same as trying to kill. I don't really understand or watch the game but if that was football and a bad tackle that was clearly intentional resulted in a freak accident would we be saying the same?

Nick

Administrator
Trying to hurt surely not the same as trying to kill. I don't really understand or watch the game but if that was football and a bad tackle that was clearly intentional resulted in a freak accident would we be saying the same?

Oh, not sure he tried to kill him

TomRad85

If someone deliberately kicked out at someone's head I would think so.

rob9872

Oh, not sure he tried to kill him
That's what I mean, so prosecution seems harsh. I'm sure the guy is devastated and not sure what it serves although of course might feel differently if I was family or someone I knew I guess.

napolimp

So much adrenaline going on in sport, one spur of the moment poor decision can end in disaster. Especially when lethal sporting equipment involved, although I always thought players wore certain protection so things like these couldn't happen, for some reason. Who's the offending player? He'll end up carrying that for the rest of his life regardless what happens next.

TomRad85

Just don't get why his leg went up like that. Doesn't seem natural
This
ebca33602bd0f97b060356ffec3b6ae6.jpg

TomRad85

And a slightly harsher view from the same thread.
902dbb14a6f494c4361726c8e2a8e393.jpg

Skyblueweeman

I've just spoken to someone who's friend was in the arena when it happened and she's just got off the phone to her. She (the person who was there) believes it was a genuine accident but I guess the majority seem to think not.

The heartbreaking thing is that it was billed as a Halloween special and there were loads of kids on the front row apparently, really upset :-(

Dreadful, dreadful news. Deliberate or not, I'm pretty sure the intention wasn't to kill. The bloke who 'did it' must also be feeling horrendous.

I've not watched it and judging by the above, will give it a swerve. RIP to the man who passed.

Torquay Sky Blue

Not the first time this has happened. NHL 1989 a goalie sethered an artery and cut his jugular vein in his neck and survived.
Remember seeing the pictures

andy86

I play ice hockey myself, have done for 15 years. It’s not a deliberate act, just a very unfortunate and freak incident. Very sad.

Alkhen

Not the first time this has happened. NHL 1989 a goalie sethered an artery and cut his jugular vein in his neck and survived.
Remember seeing the pictures
Yeah I remember seeing that, also grim but thankfully not fatal, I think the guy had a shite time of it mentally afterwards.

It's pretty amazing that there are so few accidents considering they are basically bombing about with knives attached to their feet. Surely this will force through compulsory neck & wrist guards?

I was unfortunate enough to catch a bit of the footage the night it happened, turned it off after the impact as I can't handle stuff like that. So tragic. It did look very reckless.

Flying Fokker

I was. The high foot was clearly aimed at stopping Adam. The assailant overstepped knew what he was doing when he raised his foot.

Tommo1993

Seen the footage. That raise of the leg, just that one leg, while falling doesn’t look natural at all. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread