A message to all sky blues fans (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
When you think City v Burnley, do you always cast your mind back to that Ernie Hunt goal from just about on the half way line? What an effort, what a strike.

Beautiful.

You only have to mention Burnley and I am immediately drawn to that game every time.

I'm drawn to the game when we beat them 4-0 under Eric Black and some blonde girl flashed the WT. Saw her throwing up outside the station later on, classy.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

May 8, 2015
I'm drawn to the game when we beat them 4-0 under Eric Black and some blonde girl flashed the WT. Saw her throwing up outside the station later on, classy.

That was the game where Brian Jensen in goal for them out in one of the best keeping performances I’ve ever seen!!

We beat PNE 4-0 (4-1?) at home in the midweek, Bjarni G got a couple and missed a pen!

Reactions: Otis and wingy

Captain Dart

Oct 26, 2013

Captain Dart

Oct 26, 2013
Reactions: pastythegreat

Irish Sky Blue

Jan 25, 2014
North Warwickshire
When you think City v Burnley, do you always cast your mind back to that Ernie Hunt goal from just about on the half way line? What an effort, what a strike.

Beautiful.

You only have to mention Burnley and I am immediately drawn to that game every time.
My favourite City goal.

Reactions: Otis

Irish Sky Blue

Jan 25, 2014
North Warwickshire
What Coventry City means to me? Well, I'm a Coventry kid. Hand in glove I suppose

My dad took me up one day and it may well have only been a reserve game, but I was immediately hooked. There could never be another team for me from that point on.

First real tangible memory for me was being at a show at the old Coventry Theatre with my family. It was the late 60's and the Sky Blues were at home to the mighty Man Utd, complete with the giants at the time that were Best, Charlton, Law, Stiles etc. The same Man Utd that would go on to win the European Cup just a few short months later, beating Benfica 4-1.

My dad told me I was too young to go to the game and that we all had to go to the theatre instead.

City were bottom of the table and Man Utd top. It was a foregone conclusion. Defeat was certain.

Anyway, we were sat watching the show and then suddenly the performance was momentarily stopped to puzzled looks from the audience. Up steps one of the cast on stage to address the auditorium. Out of the blue he proudly announced that City had won 2-0. We had beaten the mighty Manchester United!

I pretty much don't remember any of the show after that. All I could think about was the City and the thrilling victory. The Telegraph on the Monday hailed the win as if we had won the World Cup all over again.

I will never, ever forget the beaming grin I had on my face that day and I'm pretty sure I woke up the next day still smiling.
That Utd game came only a few days after the main stand burnt down in a fire. The whole central part of the stand was gone, only the blocks at either end remained. They somehow fitted temporary seating into the central part that was burnt and the game went ahead with a crowd of 48k in attendance. I am sure health and safety restrictions would stop that happening today. It was a great game, one I will always remember with Hunt and Cattlin (who had to mark Best) making their debuts. City were immense and thoroughly deserved to win.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
That Utd game came only a few days after the main stand burnt down in a fire. The whole central part of the stand was gone, only the blocks at either end remained. They somehow fitted temporary seating into the central part that was burnt and the game went ahead with a crowd of 48k in attendance. I am sure health and safety restrictions would stop that happening today. It was a great game, one I will always remember with Hunt and Cattlin (who had to mark Best) making their debuts. City were immense and thoroughly deserved to win.
Was it Curtis and Setters who scored? I'm sure it was two defenders.

Irish Sky Blue

Jan 25, 2014
North Warwickshire
Bobby Gould dribbling across their box 20 yards out, then swivelling and smashing it past a startled keeper and an even more startled bunch of us in the west end.
Don’t remember him ever scoring from outside the box before, or after. Think we won 5-0 that night.
Shows how sad I am but I can remember the Telegraph headline for the report on that match on the Monday following the game. This was Bobby’s first game back after being out injured for several weeks, it was also City’s first win for several weeks too. Hence the headline was “Dynamic Bobby back in business and so are City”. Gould was my favourite City player at the time but within a few weeks was sold to Arsenal to be replaced by Neil Martin(a much better player in my opinion and one of the reasons we stayed up).Great business by Noel Cantwell.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Shows how sad I am but I can remember the Telegraph headline for the report on that match on the Monday following the game. This was Bobby’s first game back after being out injured for several weeks, it was also City’s first win for several weeks too. Hence the headline was “Dynamic Bobby back in business and so are City”. Gould was my favourite City player at the time but within a few weeks was sold to Arsenal to be replaced by Neil Martin(a much better player in my opinion and one of the reasons we stayed up).Great business by Noel Cantwell.
I liked John O'Rourke too.

Irish Sky Blue

Jan 25, 2014
North Warwickshire
Was it Curtis and Setters who scored? I'm sure it was two defenders.
I think Setters got the second, it was either Bruck or Machin got the first. We beat them again the following season when I think Curtis did score. At the time of the first match he was still recovering from his broken leg.

Irish Sky Blue

Jan 25, 2014
North Warwickshire
I liked John O'Rourke too.
Yes, liked him too. Had a great partnership with Martin in the season we finished sixth and qualified for Europe. Part of arguably City’s best ever team although for me that is the Fergie and Wallace team of the late seventies. They were magic! Sadly I think O’Rourke died recently.

Reactions: Otis and wingy

clint van damme

May 3, 2015

I saw her in the Elastic after the game arguing with her boyfriend. Well, I say arguing, he was having a go at her and she looked about to burst into tears!
Not surprised she threw up, she was definitely the worst for wear!

Reactions: Sick Boy

Adge

Jun 26, 2015
I saw her in the Elastic after the game arguing with her boyfriend. Well, I say arguing, he was having a go at her and she looked about to burst into tears!
Not surprised she threw up, she was definitely the worst for wear!
Did you not buy her a pint for her very public spirited display that day?

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
Did you not buy her a pint for her very public spirited display that day?

I didn't because:
A. I didn't want to land in the middle of a domestic
B. Quite clearly her drinking for the day was done!

Users who are viewing this thread