24/25 changes? (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

Maybe its just revisionism but I feel like our defence was a lot better when Sakamoto played. He covered MVE extremely well and that Right side was very strong.
Yes MVE and Saka is a very good right side at this level, I'd argue it could do a job in the Prem. His loss was a big one.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

It's a balancing act. On one hand, you're absolutely right that recycling the team every year is not going to be the most optimal way to get promoted. On the other, we still fund the next phase our team development. We may have our disagreements about where we need to improve, but we're in agreement that we need more to get to the next level as the last two seasons we've ran out of squad.

Take Ben Sheaf, for example. He is performing at a level comparable to Hamer last year, in their respective roles. He is at the top of his value right now because he has 2 years left on his contract, iirc expiry is 2026. The club needs to make a decision because if we don't think we can get promoted next season (officially the target is playoffs), then his value decreases this time next season. This season, we can sell on our terms, next season that dynamic could flip.

This summer, if we can get a deal like we did for Hamer or Vik, then selling Sheaf is probably the right decision. It will allow us to fill out our squad more with the quality we need to get to the promised land. The beauty of selling Hamer and Vik last season is that it set up the club with 5-6 players who should fetch £10-20+ million fees in the future.

That's how we stay on top in the transfer market.
I agree it's a balancing act, in fact that is what I keep saying. It's the strict adherence to the model in its purist form that is the problem.

I do wonder whether most fans are up for five more transitional seasons. Or Robins for that matter.

biggymania

I do wonder whether most fans are up for five more transitional seasons. Or Robins for that matter.
Most fans? Probably not - but I think progress every year is the goal and I do think we're achieving that - even if the league position doesn't match I think we can all see the progress. I don't think long term financial strategy should be revised because the masses might get a bit impatient. That's not really how it works.

Robins? Almost certainly. He signed a long term deal last year and I imagine Doug has given him pretty much what he promised in terms of investment and I am sure the "we have to sell our players at the peak of their valuation to reinvest" was a very clear message he heard.

Boicey

You talk about conceding goals as if defence isn't a team effort. Yes, there's been individual defensive errors and there's been times our midfield has been bypassed out wide and and down the middle and we've failed to defend from the front.

Take Man U as an example, we exposed them (and countless teams this season) because they leave massive gaps between midfield and defence so they concede lots of chances and goals.
Yeah that’s why I said we have midfield problems as well. Unlike some who think all is fine and dandy.

Winny the Bish

Yes MVE and Saka is a very good right side at this level, I'd argue it could do a job in the Prem. His loss was a big one.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The month before Saka lost form him and MVE were our entire attack. They were ripping teams apart and then covering each other in defence.

ceetee

Yeah that’s why I said we have midfield problems as well. Unlike some who think all is fine and dandy.
Absolutely..

Hull were carrying the ball through midfield from the first minute to the last. It didn't help that Eccles was pushed out wide, and Kelly isn't quick enough to stop them

blunted

I think next season is going to be really tough. Three teams coming down are better than when they went up last time and not that many of their players will be in demand. The losing playoff teams will be strong along with probably Hull who have shit loads of money. Middlesborough are getting their act together again and there is always a surprise contender.
We really need a good start and find that consistency throughout the season. Would love another cup run but not at the expense of promotion. I used to rant at MR playing weakened teams in the cup, but this season has proved why.

Mucca Mad Boys

Absolutely..

Hull were carrying the ball through midfield from the first minute to the last. It didn't help that Eccles was pushed out wide, and Kelly isn't quick enough to stop them

Norwich, WBA, Hull, Leeds, Southampton and even Leicester (pre-red card) were better than than us at moving the ball through midfield than we were. I can't comment on Ipswich as I missed that fixture.

Torp has shown some real glimpses of class but he's not really shown this consistently yet.

CovLad94

We’re in for a big summer lads don’t worry. Whether we sell sheaf or not I have full faith that King and Robins have learned from their mistake and will reinvest properly. PUSB.
I trust them also, but was never going to all be done in one window, especially with the league being as hard as it was this time around, we'll be better next season no doubt

skybluesteve

Absolutely..

Didn’t Andy Turner say that Kelly put in a vintage display in on Weds? I suppose vintage cars are a bit slower and less manoeuvrable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deity

Like Hamer’s were? Hope we have learnt from that as we have been lagging in CM all year.
I think the situation is different. The season before we were o my just getting a proper scouting and recruitment team and approach in place.

if the rumours are true that we asked for first option on the Peterborough CDM, Kypriano, it would suggest we have already started to identify Sheafs potential successor …

Last edited:

Balli001

I think the situation is different. The season before we were o my just getting a proper scouting and recruitment team and approach in place.

if the rumours are true that we asked for first option on the Peterborough CDM, Kypriano, it would suggest we have already started to identify Sheafs potential successor …
Or kellys

covcity4life

Allen
Kelly
Godden

Being replaced by 3 better younger players gives me a hard on alone

It's gonna be a good summer recruitment wise I think

Deity

Do we need another 10 ?

I think one of the reasons we have conceded so many goals in 2024 is that we have too many attacking players and the balance isn’t quite right …

I think we might be better to have another powerful midfielder to match with Sheaf and Torp than a 10….

Wright,Simms, Tats, EMC, the Godden replacement and the new right winger should give us enough attacking threat and options ….

BlueSkiesForever

Been a long time since I was last on here but looking back at the season as a whole I genuinely think we need a lot more starting quality. It’s been really patched up at times and shooting ability just isn’t there. I watched the Ipswich game last night and it was genuinely entertaining for 90 minutes, players not afraid to have a long range shot at goal AND have the ability to hit the target.

To me the likes of Eccles, Kelly, Godden, Allen, Palmer, Dasilva etc just aren’t good enough to be relying on every week. They put in a great shift, absolutely, but the quality isn’t there, shots are wayward and the vision and execution is poor at times. I think next season should be the year where Doug invests a chunk of his own cash and we set ourselves the goal of the automatics. We need a better midfield and defence first and foremost, even a better keeper wouldn’t go a miss at times.

I love all our players for their commitment and effort but I think that only takes you so far, we need more pace and skill and ability and confidence to get promoted.

Viktor17

Do we need another 10 ?

I think one of the reasons we have conceded so many goals in 2024 is that we have too many attacking players and the balance isn’t quite right …

I think we might be better to have another powerful midfielder to match with Sheaf and Torp than a 10….

Wright,Simms, Tats, EMC, the Godden replacement and the new right winger should give us enough attacking threat and options ….
Totally agree with this - don't need a 10, nice for an option (rudoni) we started off playing more 433, remember at Millwall and worked really well.

Sheaf/eccles/torp could be nice +another dynamic all rounder (Jamie Allen upgrade perhaps)

Viktor17

Been a long time since I was last on here but looking back at the season as a whole I genuinely think we need a lot more starting quality. It’s been really patched up at times and shooting ability just isn’t there. I watched the Ipswich game last night and it was genuinely entertaining for 90 minutes, players not afraid to have a long range shot at goal AND have the ability to hit the target.

To me the likes of Eccles, Kelly, Godden, Allen, Palmer, Dasilva etc just aren’t good enough to be relying on every week. They put in a great shift, absolutely, but the quality isn’t there, shots are wayward and the vision and execution is poor at times. I think next season should be the year where Doug invests a chunk of his own cash and we set ourselves the goal of the automatics. We need a better midfield and defence first and foremost, even a better keeper wouldn’t go a miss at times.

I love all our players for their commitment and effort but I think that only takes you so far, we need more pace and skill and ability and confidence to get promoted.
Now we can all step back. We have had to replace our entire squad, that's a HUGE challenge. It's a long term process and the 2nd big stage of that is the summer, adding the quality of depth.

Really think we have probably all underestimated how big job it was.

Just look at all the players we released last year, Rose at best done "OK" that's as good as it gets the rest are lower league at best.

Going to be exciting summer, trust Robins et al - lots of rumours and names about.

Hobo

I think that data is 12 months out of date

I doubt very much we were 18th this season.

It was for this season at the start of the season.. it's all estimates I know, but it is going to be in the right ball park

thekidfromstrettoncamp

To me the likes of Eccles, Kelly, Godden, Allen, Palmer, Dasilva etc just aren’t good enough to be relying on every week.
IMO the only ones moving out will be Kelly and Godden because father time has caught up with them Eccles especially and Palmer will be first team players and rightly so Allen and Dasilva are good enough to be squad player like this season.
We need to make improvement where needed but cannot keep making wholesale changes every season

JSL

In a recent DK interview on radio, he said that he wanted to give MR the best possible chance of making it in the PL by giving him what he needs. So let's see if he is true to his word

Mucca Mad Boys

Do we need another 10 ?

Yes, we do because there's next to no goals in midfield. In the league campaign, we've mustered 12 goals all season from midfield compared to 9 goals from defence. It's not good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread