tigersb

Feb 14, 2016
Glasgow
Couldn't get a ticket but did go to Charity Shield game though
That wasn't great

Fidelius

Apr 22, 2023
I was 7 at the time and my youngest brother had just been born. I have no memory of the game (we weren't there), but my dad was a Sky Blues supporter all his life and took me and my two other brothers to see the bus parade through Coventry. I remember being amazed at the atmosphere and the sheer number of people, who were literally climbing up traffic lights and sitting on top of bus shelters to get closer to the bus as it passed! My dad told me that the players were going to take the cup to show Brian Burrows in hospital. I remember thinking it was a nice thing to do, and decided that Coventry were a good team to support. Sadly my dad is no longer alive, but he's the reason I take my son to the Coventry games. He would be proud to know that his grandson is as passionate about the Sky Blues as he was.

Bad Boy

Apr 13, 2012
Stuck on a train outside Rugby for what seemed ages and had to disembark and walk track side to the front of the train and realight then moving off and arriving at Wembley seconds before kick off dressed in a gorillas outfit...jeez it was hot.

Last edited:

It’sabatch87

Jun 29, 2020
Stuck on a train outside Rugby for what seemed ages and had to disembark and walk track side to the front of the train and realight then moving off and arriving at Wembley seconds before kick off dressed in a gorillas outfit...jeez it was hot.
Same train as me then lol👍😁

Reactions: Bad Boy

It’sabatch87

Jun 29, 2020
Yeh probably, ran all the way from Wembley Central to the stadium.
Remember it being hot and people feeling gutted on the train thinking will we get there?

Reactions: Bad Boy and ovduk78

Speedies_Chips

Oct 24, 2013
I remember going to a McDonalds near Wembley and some Spurs fans asking if we needed directions to the stadium lol.

fatso

Jun 19, 2017
I was there with my best mate, my dad and my girlfriends dad (later my father in law)
I managed to get my dad a ticket, and some guy offered me £1000 for it, I told him bollocks. So glad I did, as the memory of that day will last a lifetime.

Happy_Martian

Jan 1, 2013
To be honest, this day is full of mixed emotions for me.

The joy of '87. Watched the game at home. Dad drove me and my sister into town to join in the celebrations. Could barely move, so many people and cars in the streets. Car interior coated with beer by passers by. Great day had by all.

The sadness of '21. With all the happiness of the events of 1987, I have to bear losing my Mum 2 years ago today to Cancer, around the same time Houch would have been flying through the air 34 years earlier. Still get teary to this day.

Bittersweet but memories to commemorate in their own way.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Dec 11, 2012
Manchester
Remember it all, three days in London with friends. I can still see Lloyd's cross looping towards the far corner and thinking its going in. Rolling around on the terracing with one of those friends at final whistle.

richnrg

Jan 22, 2014
I was 18 and slept overnight at highfield rd for my ticket as they went on sale early.
I was on that football special train from Cov to Wembley Central that stopped just outside Cov and had to run from Wembley Central to get in, in time for the game.
Got in while abide with me was being sung.
My ticket cost £6 standing up right at the back behind the goal.
A great day PUSB👍👕
I was on the same train. Seem to remember leaving Cov at about 10am-ish, then getting stuck just outside Willenhall. Initially everyone was quite calm, but as time went on people got more and more panicked thinking we were going to miss the game. Some were crying (I was close!). Train finally got going again about 1 o clock and seemed to travel at about 200mph (thnaks driver). We ran from Wembley Central to stadium just in time to see team coming out, then Clive Allen to score opening goal. Turned out alright in the end :)
Train home was strangely quiet, as everyone seemed exhausted and had no voices left.

It’sabatch87

Jun 29, 2020
I was on the same train. Seem to remember leaving Cov at about 10am-ish, then getting stuck just outside Willenhall. Initially everyone was quite calm, but as time went on people got more and more panicked thinking we were going to miss the game. Some were crying (I was close!). Train finally got going again about 1 o clock and seemed to travel at about 200mph (thnaks driver). We ran from Wembley Central to stadium just in time to see team coming out, then Clive Allen to score opening goal. Turned out alright in the end :)
Train home was strangely quiet, as everyone seemed exhausted and had no voices left.
Did they ever find out why the train was halted?

richnrg

Jan 22, 2014
Did they ever find out why the train was halted?
I think someone had thrown something on electric power lines just outside Coventry -
Our train was stationary for a few hours. I believe that trains behind us were diverted through Nuneaton. - anyone here know the full story?

Darth Robins

Mar 21, 2011
When I was walking down Wembley way, I saw Gary Gillespie decked out in Sky Blue. Thought at time, what a nice touch. Especially as he was playing for Liverpool at the time. Top player, top man..

He was there with my old man, I've got a bunch of photos of their group around somewhere. I'll have to have a rummage around and see what I can find.

Reactions: Jonny Barton

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

May 27, 2016
The Cayman Islands.
Train home was strangely quiet, as everyone seemed exhausted and had no voices left

I was lucky, got the train 🚂 about 9 and missed all that.

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Nov 15, 2014
I missed the final had the 3 vouchers you needed from last 3 games got word tickets were going on sale dashed down .The wife came from Bedwoth with my £6( a lot in those days having a young family) got to about 10 away from front only to be told £6 ones sold out next price £25 had not got that sort of money left in the bank let alone with me.
I watched the game on the TV when we were winning the wife said "I hope you draw then you'll see the replay".My reply was No never know If we'll have the same chance again.At my age I still live in hope.

• Sad
Reactions: richnrg

martincov

May 15, 2016
On cup final day i remember being at Cov station about 7am and infront of us was Reg Matthews who at the time lived in Coundon and was a regular in The Nugget ( my local too) had many chats with him but he never went into his Coventry City days very deeply. He bought his own ticket for that day, considering i would have thought he could have got a freebie. Have been to all our Wembley appearances so far but i will struggle to get a ticket this time, been to games but paid on the gate so i have about 30 points which alas wont be enough. Anyway a photo of my souviners from that great day.

Attachments

• 1987.jpeg
    1987.jpeg
    995.6 KB · Views: 9

slowpoke

Apr 24, 2015
On cup final day i remember being at Cov station about 7am and infront of us was Reg Matthews who at the time lived in Coundon and was a regular in The Nugget ( my local too) had many chats with him but he never went into his Coventry City days very deeply. He bought his own ticket for that day, considering i would have thought he could have got a freebie. Have been to all our Wembley appearances so far but i will struggle to get a ticket this time, been to games but paid on the gate so i have about 30 points which alas wont be enough. Anyway a photo of my souviners from that great day.
This points system is hopeless for the pay at the gate fans and there are many who don’t or can’t afford STs. Work patterns don’t suit having a season ticket etc.

martincov

May 15, 2016
This points system is hopeless for the pay at the gate fans and there are many who don’t or can’t afford STs. Work patterns don’t suit having a season ticket etc.
I understand a points system to atleast try and make things fair, so not complaining it is what it is. Lets face it there has been plenty of room at home until recently so it does reward fans going to away games. I could afford a season ticket but would not get to many games so it wouldnt be worth it until ofcourse?........... you know the rest. I only wish i'd have had the foresight to get online tix rather than pay on the day. More than happy for tickets go to proper fans or future fans (young uns) which is more important, unfortuantely there will be many daytrippers.

Reactions: duffer

Bad Boy

Apr 13, 2012
I think someone had thrown something on electric power lines just outside Coventry -
Our train was stationary for a few hours. I believe that trains behind us were diverted through Nuneaton. - anyone here know the full story?
I read that it was as a result of fans hanging out flags banners from the windows (was the rolling stock that old the windows could be opened) that created a problem with the overhead power lines, which differs from my original understanding that someone threw something from a bridge onto the train.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Would be nice if you could add a POTG ticket to an account afterwards, but I imagine it would be tricky for the system to do so.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Yes I was there...
Hanging like a dog though, there was an Arsenal fan in the hotel bar the night before and he just would not stop buying us drinks.

rexo87

May 2, 2014
Loving the stories. I'm relatively young compared to you lot haha. Great to hear what it was like

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reactions: nicksar and duffer

Brylowes

Jan 7, 2016
Absolutely, the best day ever and a day that will never be topped, just 18 y/o and brother 21 🤔 possibly the best ages to appreciate such an epic occasion.

My family had departed Coventry for the east coast in 1980 when my dad was made redundant at The Standard in Canley, I used to travel to Coventry and away games as often as possible, so headed for Cov with all the ticket stubs I could find…….alas we missed out and resigned ourselves to watching it on TV.
By this point my parents were running a pub in Lowestoft, the east coast town in which we’d settled.

2 weeks before the Final one of the pub regulars (Dennis Saggers ❤️ God bless him) a massive Ipswich Town fan presented me & my bro with 2x tickets he’d managed to secure through ITFC, I’ll never forget that feeling….ever.
We traveled to Cov on the Friday morning, met mates and caught the train to London on Friday afternoon 🤔 the following 3 days I could only describe as a heady mix of drunken fun, angst, laughter, fear, carnage, pride and ultimately unbelievable joy.
I feel utterly privileged to have experienced that era with city, and really hope my lad (21 y/o ) goes on to savour similar experiences.
I’m sure he will.

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
Absolutely, the best day ever and a day that will never be topped, just 18 y/o and brother 21 🤔 possibly the best ages to appreciate such an epic occasion.

My family had departed Coventry for the east coast in 1980 when my dad was made redundant at The Standard in Canley, I used to travel to Coventry and away games as often as possible, so headed for Cov with all the ticket stubs I could find…….alas we missed out and resigned ourselves to watching it on TV.
By this point my parents were running a pub in Lowestoft, the east coast town in which we’d settled.

2 weeks before the Final one of the pub regulars (Dennis Saggers ❤️ God bless him) a massive Ipswich Town fan presented me & my bro with 2x tickets he’d managed to secure through ITFC, I’ll never forget that feeling….ever.
We traveled to Cov on the Friday morning, met mates and caught the train to London on Friday afternoon 🤔 the following 3 days I could only describe as a heady mix of drunken fun, angst, laughter, fear, carnage, pride and ultimately unbelievable joy.
I feel utterly privileged to have experienced that era with city, and really hope my lad (21 y/o ) goes on to savour similar experiences.
I’m sure he will.

My son is soon to be 21, he text me yesterday and said for all the younger supporters next Saturday is their 87 moment.
I really hope they enjoy it as much as we did the cup final.

Sky Blue Harry H

Feb 9, 2011
warwick
Yep. many memories of the day. @SkyBlueSam01 's granddad (RIP) doing the Mexican wave on the coach on the way back to Leamington Spa; stopping off in a village in the middle of nowhere and invading the local 'disco' and the camp DJ being terrified, until he realised that we were not going to wreck the joint. Someone (RIP) from Cubbington, without a ticket on our coach who vaulted the turnstiles twice, before getting in (not even sure he supported us). Telling my ex brother in law (then about 17) that we'd be fine when his face dropped after Clive Allen's early goal. Great day and memories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread