1987 FA Cup final (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

I was there, aged 11. My most vivid memory was sitting in my seat at the final whistle saying to myself over and over, "Coventry City - FA Cup winners" and thinking how odd it sounded.

RegTheDonk

I had a weird dream before we played Man U. I was running up the steps into Wembley, hearing a big cheer. Got inside and said what happened, some City fan said "its 2-2 and we're going into extra time". The scoreboard said Cov 2-2 Tottenham.

A few months later, at the final, I recall looking at the scoreboard at full time with that deja vu feeling.

i was 6 at the time, sadly i dont remember the game but i do remember the homecoming. me my mum, dad and bro were all stood by c&a and it was rammed. there were billboards where the town crier is now and there where dozens of people on them. although i dont remember the final the homecoming is my earliest ccfc memory

James Smith

I remember arriving in London off a coach to meet my dad and uncle who were already down there, we went out for a meal and I could hardly eat a thing thanks to the excitement. Finally got to Wembley and wasn't allowed to buy a large flag because "it could be bad luck" but a nice lady let me wave hers. I was a bit numb when we went into extra time (thinking we'd probably not recover) and I can't put into words how I felt when we'd won but the sight of Killer, Oggy etc. going up the steps to collect the cup was just magical and I remember hoping the day wouldn't end. Went round to my uncles for a drink of Champagne and meeting a load of Spurs fans on the tube on the way who were very nice about losing and said it was a good game.

olderskyblue

I was the one person in Coventry that didn't get a ticket....

olderskyblue

I think there was nearer 350,000 in Coventry who did not get a ticket, but that must have been horrible.

There were other things going on in my life that had to take priority unfortunately, which meant that season and the one before were the only ones (and this season now) that I didn't have a season ticket. Horrible? well, it was somewhat eased by the fact we won such a great match, but I wish I'd been there... Went to the charity shield though, so maybe it's good I didn't get to the final, I was obviously a jinx.. :D

Essexrobbie

Walking away from Wembley I brought this massive sky blue teddy for my one year old son. A car full of yids crawled by in the traffic and one of them rolled down their window and said " are you gay?"..... I was just about to say, "No just very happy...how do you feel?" when I thought I might end up going home wearing my new purchase,.... so I didn't.

mds

dancing on and falling off a table in the barras club when the winner went in!

rondog1973

Never went the game, was 13 at the time, didn't have a paper round or any of that type of income and my Dad was in low wage employment at the time. Think you needed a stub from the semi final (which I attended) plus the stubs from the last 4 or 5 home games which my parents didn't have the disposable income for. Still rankles a wee bit that some johnny-come-lateley's, some of whom were Man U/Liverpool fans right up until about March of that year, went the game and I didn't. This however, is offset by my memories of the party Mum & Dad organized at our house for Cup final day, obviously the agony & ecstacy of the game itself and the impromptu carnival in the city centre in the immediate aftermath of the game. Vividly remember me and my cousin hanging out of the back of my uncles Mini Clubman estate, flags-a-flying with everyone in the streets celebrating. Those that attended the match would not of witnessed this and it's still a memory which sets the hairs on the back of my neck bristling each time it is recalled.

W

westcountry_skyblue

I was 18 slept overnight on the old skyblue terrace to get my ticket,Still got it £6 standing behind the goal.
Went by train the special that got stopped by rugby so arrived at wembley central around 2.30 and ran to the twin towers arriving while abide with me was being sung.
Climbed the steps to the back which people were just pissing down during the game.
The rest is history but walking out still numb that we had won it.
Got back to Cov and had a few beers and danced in the fountain by the belgrade which was skyblue !!!

just a couple of questions. firstly for all the people that never went to the final are you glad you never went so you could party in cov?
and for the people that went to the final, are you gutted you went and missed the partying in cov? obviously glad you went but the aftermath and the hours getting home.

hope this makes sense

Sky Blue Harry H

just a couple of questions. firstly for all the people that never went to the final are you glad you never went so you could party in cov?
and for the people that went to the final, are you gutted you went and missed the partying in cov? obviously glad you went but the aftermath and the hours getting home.

hope this makes sense

Lived in Leamington. Our coach pulled over in a village in the middle of nowhere on the way back. They had a disco in a local pub and the DJ was a cross between Dale Winton and Julian Clary. Fifty Cov fans walked in, he shat himself and said " didn't Coventry do well in the final today". Good laugh, no bother ( we had just won the cup !) Glad to have been to the game (if I missed a party in Cov, well - you can't have it all - did you hear me, Fisher ?! )

henry the wasp

hope this makes sense

Went with my old man. He got himself a ticket from a work mate at the jag. he'd not been since we beat everton last game of whatever season it was (84-85). So i totally agree with the other poster about proper cov fans getting fucked over. I'd been to every round (some good memories), Collected all the vouchers from the league programmes (again got fucked over with that one). Ended up queing for god knows how long. We travelled by car and got back in plenty of time for partying. I got in around 4 in the morning. I knew we would beat spurs after what happened at our place. We just had a spirit and cameraderie that they hadn't got, although they were better players.

dadgad

It was 15 mins into the 2nd half and the ball went out near where I was. A couple of their players appealed for the throw so that they could get a breather....... Lloyd McGrath came over still full of energy and ripped it off them....and promptly got on with it. Our energy levels on the day were so much higher than theirs. That and our support was the difference. Wonderful day!!:guitar2::claping hands::D

Seyeclops666

So many memories so little time.
1 Queuing up overnight outside the ticket office and then sneaking onto the pitch with 2 mates at 3am and pretending (ie without a ball) to pass the ball between us all the way up the pitch to score in front of the west end - only to be freaked out when a group of lads camping out in the top tier of the west end jumped up and cheered!!

2 Waiting for the turnstiles to open when a city fan stuck the flag stick up a police horses arse - and then (fair play to the copper) the gates being held shut until said fan came out of hiding and apologised. He eventually did and apologised to the copper only to be told to apologise to the horse!! The nice policeman then let us (and the offender) in!!

3 Houchen's Goal - our end!! And then the deflected winner!!

4 the last few minutes - the nervousness and the constant feeling that surely it can't be true that we were actually going to win it!! And the shear relief when we did.

5 the conga we started on the train on the way home

6 getting back to Coventry only to realise we had missed the most amazing out pouring of joy the city had ever seen - my family and thousands of others parked on the ring road with people hanging out and sitting on cars waving flags and the city centre full of people hugging each other like they were all on ecstasy - I was so happy to have been there but I wish I could have experienced that moment in Coventry too.

One day when this shower of shit have long gone we will have a day like that again - and we can share that moment with our kids !!

Tonylinc

Was living in Yeovil at the time. Managed to get tickets and travelled up by car with Sky Blue ribbons hanging all over it. Vividly remember parking up with "Go for it City", playing loudly on the CD player. What a game; dejection followed by elation and the drive to Coventry with people standing on every bridge of the M1 waving. Will we ever witness such a thing again?

F

furtle

FA cup win from a Foxes perspective

In 1987 I was 29 and watched the game thinking that 30 miles down the road a massive party was going on and thinking... what a refreshing change from another Liverpool, United win. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and despite being Foxes thro & thro I wanted you to beat the elite, in the same way you wanted us to do well under M of Neill against the likes of United & Pool.

I work in Cov and feel the pain you are going thro. All I can say is be militant and your faith will prevail. Embarrass Joy and she will be forced to deflect your focus onto something more positive... PUSB

Grappa

Was living in Yeovil at the time. Managed to get tickets and travelled up by car with Sky Blue ribbons hanging all over it. Vividly remember parking up with "Go for it City", playing loudly on the CD player. What a game; dejection followed by elation and the drive to Coventry with people standing on every bridge of the M1 waving. Will we ever witness such a thing again?

You had an in-car cd player in '87?

skybluebal

See my ticket in my profile :) best day off my life after my daughter being born in March 1987.

Mostly I'll remember grown men crying and hugging strangers ( me included) when we won.

And all the people lined along Walsgrave/Ansty Road when we got home - took us nearly as long to get through as it did to get home from Wembley.

And finally, the incredible turnout when the cup parade was held !

Great times and now I remember how long it's been since we won the cup on every year of my daughters birthday.

One day I hope my daughters will experience the same.

Paxman II

You have to let go....it's one cup in 130 years. Great when we did it, still great 20 years on but now it's a bit embarrassing to keep going on about it especially as we are a shadow of what we were.

henry the wasp

You have to let go....it's one cup in 130 years. Great when we did it, still great 20 years on but now it's a bit embarrassing to keep going on about it especially as we are a shadow of what we were.

The lad wasn't there. He asked a question and i answered as best as i could. I don't go up to random people whilst i'm pissed up boring them with it. If it embarrasses you then why read the thread.

Steve.B50

I remember getting off the M 6 and the road towards town was lined with hundreds of people.
Another little thing was parking our car on outskirts of London, it was decked out in Sky Blue. Always remember this guy and his son parking next to us and suggesting we will have to remove all the sky blue on the way back after they would beat us 3-0. Always wanted to se this chap again after the game but he had gone when we got back.
An amazing time, always in my thoughts, was so very proud to be from Coventry.

henry the wasp

Fuck knows how to link, i'll have a look. I just typed in first car to have a cd player. Car and driver came up top of page. First car to have a factory fitted cd player 85 mercedes. called a becker mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread