Match Thread ⚽️ West Bromwich Albion vs Coventry City Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Gint11

The referees give no protection for Vik. Is a disgrace that his captain and multiple others are going at the referee more. Kick, pull, push, shirt tug all night on him and the ref was not interested. Should be harassing the referee like others do at this level, West Brom included.
I agree with this a bit but it’s also annoying me. He is going to get kicked and poked, he is a stand out player. He’s got to rise above it and get on with it. Be quicker and better.

Im not comparing the two at all but I remember when a young C Ronaldo was getting kicked every game in the Prem. He got better. Simple.

Vik has a lot to work on in his game. His movement is sometimes obvious and he needs 3/4 touches. It doesn’t help some of the balls we play into him are shit though.

Our final third passing was shite last night.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
beaten by the better team. WBA were better than us in every position, knew their game plan, knew how to control the game and were solid without being great - they didnt have to be

We started poorly and although we huffed and puffed second half I never felt any confidence in us scoring. Yes we had a couple of chances but our attacking threat was one dimensional and has, as a team, gone off the boil.

Would be good sometime for a referee to actually understand what is happening to Gyokeres and give him some protection

From the start we were pressed back and sat deep. We didnt press like we can. Space became tight which meant the out balls were difficult. What you do not need in the first ten minutes when you have a young, inexperienced and new back three is a goal keeper who can not catch simple balls, stays on his line, has erratic kicking and doesnt appear to command his area or even his 6 yard box. There had to be a leader back in defence, as a senior player Wilson should have but didnt. The back three needed to be confident in him, clearly they were not. Everytime he had the ball at his feet i held my breath because it seemed only a matter of time to a mistake. Of course his dallying allowed the attackers to press so that when the back three had the ball from him they were immediately under pressure. He set the tone for the rest of the night for the team performance of , erratic, disjointed lacking belief & confidence. The rest to a big degree flowed from that.

We sorely miss Fadz's leadership, no one else in the squad seems to fill the leadership role, thats a worry not just for the rest of this season

Thats not to say that all the players didnt do some good things, but it was inconsistent, and outweighed by poor passes, missed tackles, lacking of awareness, and intensity. we were slow in thought, and movement

Panzo was like a rabbit in the headlights when he received the ball, his passing not good enough, poor. I like McNally he seems to be a proper defender. Bidwell got found out in the first half. The two young loan lads to be honest look out of their depth at the moment. You can see they have technical ability but neither seem up to the level yet - hopefully that will improve. Midfield was there but none of Hamer, Sheaf or Allen really stood out or controlled the game - ultimately nothing bad but nothing good. We can not expect Palmer to play like COH so why keep the same way of playing in attack. Gyokeres was well marked & isolated just hoofing up the pitch to him is not his game but it is what we resorted to - even more so when Godden came on (who added nothing to be honest) Thought Eccles looked decent when he came on, but then we seemed to stop using him and our pressing and movement fell way

It would be good to get referees that were at least consistent. Gyokeres was getting battered but if he breathed on one of their defenders it was always a foul, the WBA long throw ins were taken from best part of 15 yards from the wrong place but he picked up CCFC regularly for 5 yards, etc . The point about the long throw is important, without that movement back up the line WBA do not have a decent angle in to the box in fact it would be heading away from goal and probably they dont score (assuming keeper & defenders do their job). Referee not the reason we lost though

Poor display, disjointed, lacking usual intensity, no real control of game. Hopefully the squad learn from it, hopefully MR learns from it

fernandopartridge

Just a couple of points:
1) I am amazed how Gyokeres hasn't had more bookings shouting at refs this season. The amount of times he is fouled where a foul is either not given or the defender not booked is beyond belief. Equally if he as much as lays a finger on a defender when tussling for the ball a foul always seems to be given against him. There seems very little balance. The opposition therefore seem to be given impunity to foul him and stop our attacking threat at source, and so it becomes an effective tactic used against us. The fact that refs don't book Gyokeres is a sign to me that they probably do think he has been fouled, but for some reason they set the bar higher for fouls against him rather than vice versa.
2) In the last minute when we had the free kick which Hamer took level with the area, I never at any point felt it was dangerous to them and that we would score, even though the delivery itself was ok. I find it continually frustrating when we have such free kicks where the opposition line up in numbers and we simply line up with them, making us easy to mark and effectively relying on luck. For the football managers among you why don't our better headers of the ball position themselves deeper so that they can attack the ball moving forwards rather than start from a flat footed position when they are standing still? It seems such an obvious thing to do, to offer more threat from such situations but maybe I'm missing something.
Rose is the only player we have that seems to get a getting a run on at set pieces

CCFCSteve

Would be a complete waste of Hamer to play him further forward. Instead we should play Godden with Gyokeres, especially as Gyokeres is struggling at the moment. Teams have realised if they stop him we are pretty toothless.

Don’t disagree about playing a second striker especially against certain teams/at home but if we’re playing the box it isn’t really working with midfielders in current positions….either the press or the creativity.

blunted

Unfortunately, we currently cannot compete with the ex-prem sides when they are managed properly. Sheff U, Burnley, Norwich and West Brom have recently outplayed us not only because they have better players, but we are too inexperienced. We play Luton, Millwall and Sunderland at home soon. That should give us a clue of how good or poor we are (without O'Hare who is a massive miss), now some of the injuries are clearing up

Londonccfcfan

West brom are one team who Vik gets very little change from, they do their job on him as well as any defence I seen.

CV22SBA

Unfortunately, we currently cannot compete with the ex-prem sides when they are managed properly. Sheff U, Burnley, Norwich and West Brom have recently outplayed us not only because they have better players, but we are too inexperienced. We play Luton, Millwall and Sunderland at home soon. That should give us a clue of how good or poor we are (without O'Hare who is a massive miss), now some of the injuries are clearing up

Luton are a bogie team and we’ve not managed to beat them the last 8 times we’ve played them. Millwall beat us at home last season. Both teams have improved and we’re weaker. Sunderland seem solid so I think all 3 games will be extremely tough for us. Then it’s another bogie team, Preston!

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

He won the penalty for the win in the home game and should have got 2 on Friday night
Generally speaking over 4 games I dont think hes had such little influence.
yes his first chance was a very good chance (didnt realise watching live how good a chance it was). 2nd wasnt even a fifty/50 maybe should have got it on target.

The penalty at our place he got a very lucky ricochet before he was brought down.

Literally apart from that never seen him marked as well.

Usually Vik gives defenders a nightmare for 90 plus mins. West brom didnt break sweat in all 4 matches.

Londonccfcfan

I’m still pretty angry with last nights performance. We started so badly looking nervous at the back not helped by the dodgy keeper we’ve for some reason given a new contract. The defenders are scared to pass it back to him, both Panzo & Doyle played him simple passes which Wilson then fluffed his kick in the first 5 mins and then spent the rest of the game with our defenders not wanting to give the keeper the ball. It’s easy for teams to score against us. Just put the ball near the six yard box from a corner, throw or set piece and we’ll struggle to defend it and Wilson will stay fixed to his line. Granted Fadz should stop this problem. I thought Norton-Cuffy looked decent against Burnley playing on the wing but he’s no good when playing with a back 3 as he can’t get back to defend. Allen runs around like a headless chicken, no idea what position he was supposed to be playing last night. Hamer was the best of a bad bunch last night but his passing along with Sheaf & Allen is truly awful in most games this season. Vik looks lost when playing against recent prem teams. Marked out the games against Burnley, Norwich & WBA. Don’t get
Me wrong he is a very good Championship striker but I think he’ll struggle in the premier league.

3 of our next 5 games against bo

Luton are a bogie team and we’ve not managed to beat them the last 8 times we’ve played them. Millwall beat us at home last season. Both teams have improved and we’re weaker. Sunderland seem solid so I think all 3 games will be extremely tough for us. Then it’s another bogie team, Preston!
I think we will beat Luton. Dont think they are our boogie team at all. Think they have just got lucky. Apart from 5 nil..all our games very competitive. Last years home game was daylight robbery.

CCFCSteve

I think we will beat Luton. Dont think they are our boogie team at all. Think they have just got lucky. Apart from 5 nil..all our games very competitive. Last years home game was daylight robbery.

They’re on form at the moment though and great away from home, will be a tough match.

slowpoke

To be fair he hasn't got much change out of any Championship defence since Christmas. He hasn't scored in the last six.
Was bound to have a barren run, but he’s still getting into goal scoring positions every match but missing chances, it happens. Goals will come again.

CDK

Sod the playoffs,mid table finish and a big regroup come the summer as off the field backroom along with Austin's department Need's a new plan down to youth coaches now Doug king is running the club with robins taking the lead.

Skybluedownunder

Problem I find is our lineup is so fucking predictable and we have fuck all good options off the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

We remain a side that concedes terrible goals and misses sitters. Not a recipe for success against anyone-I would at least start McF even if he can’t go the whole 90.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Can anyone confirm if Ben Wilson has returned to training today? If not can we send a search party to the Hawthorns to check the goal lines please.

Failed to catch the team bus after the WBA game.

Users who are viewing this thread