Match Thread ⚽️ Huddersfield Town vs Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Mar (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Cuffy struggles positionally at wing back, no chance he can play in a box and adapt to formation changes dependant on whether we're in or out of possesion.

He doesn’t need as much positional sense there as he’d have Burroughs behind him was my thinking him and JWE should be good pressers and decent attacking out wide. Which should stretch the back line for Vik a bit more.

Reactions: Hobo and ccfc1234

ccfc1234

Jun 26, 2014
Is it that bad a suggestion? Don't see the point in the U21s if players performing consistently in that team have no shot at the first team, esp. when we've got injuries in a particular position.
Starting seems a bit of a strange suggestion given the options we still have available, maybe from the bench is a more likely scenario?

ccfc1234

Jun 26, 2014
One of the cretins from one of the Farcebook groups suggested actually starting Rus Saturday 🤦🏻‍♂️
Facebook opinions can sometimes be as incohersnt as graffiti on the inside of toilet doors!

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
How about this:

Wilson

McNally Fadz Doyle CBS
BNC Bidwell WBS
Dabo Eccles CDMs
Hamer Maguire AMs *
Gyok
——-
Back 5 standard

Dabo:

Is a wildcard suggestion, moving him from RWB to CDM might work. He’s no Hamer (who used to be a RWB) but these are challenging times. 2 years ago I would have been more comfortable with the idea and It’s not like I’m suggesting he goes into the back 3 - that’d be mad. I can see him being an emergency CDM, particularly if Fadz is behind him and pointing to him where to pass.

Eccles / Hamer:

Could easily swap these around and keep Hamer CDM and Eccles AM. Maybe, but under current circumstances I’d rather have Hamer in the Allen role. Vik has been setting up chances in the centre of the penalty area which Allen has been running on to (and occasionally scoring) and I’d rather have Gus running in to shoot than anyone else that we have at the moment. Vik will create chances for a running AM by pulling the back line apart as well as running in and squaring or cutting. Hamer AM.

Maguire / (Burroughs)*

If Maguire is totally off plan the maybe Burroughs in the mix. Maguire should be the natural choice though. If Burroughs then maybe he sits CDM next to Dabo leaving Hamer up and Eccles also up. If we don’t play him then what’s the point him being here?

Vik on his own. Godden has looked a bit out of the loop of late playing off him and I just think we need to pack the midfield rather than have 2 up.

The suggestion of bringing Doyle to MF disrupts the back line. Putting Dabo RWB and BNC CDM is a risk because BNC seems to me to be a bit ungainly and prone to losing the ball. Not so bad higher up the pitch. Leave him RWB.

JWE hasn’t impressed - bench for him.

Godden and Walker - bench. Can come on as subs if req.

Rose - bench.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
I've continuously been throwing caution to the whole promotion idea, but my point still stands. If we are good enough to hit the playoffs at least, settling against Huddersfield isn't an option. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to give themselves a shake.

To be fair missing 4 midfielders is a pretty big reason that we might not

Reactions: ProfessorbyGrace

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
Hamer is not an attacking midfielder, he's most effective picking the ball up fairly deep, we also need his defensive anticipation. Just a bizarre idea.
Hamer is the best CDM at the club.

He’s unfortunately, also the best attacking midfielder fit at the moment.

In an advanced position he can do things like, I dunno, score the February goal of the month.

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
In March?
He was awarded goal of the month in February for his earlier goal v Hudds (which might have been end Jan?). He had the Huddersfield defenders on toast by skipping into the box. Anyway, point still stands:

Name a better player fit at the club who could play AM?

Of course, there isn’t one.

Naturally, he’s better at CDM but we have potential cover there (Eccles, Burroughs, Dabo at a push) and absolutely no proven AMs.

Macca

Mar 6, 2011
We will need a big effort tomorrow. Missing out on the play offs in a season where it is up for grabs will be SISU’s final legacy. Onwards and upwards with Doug. The team are heroes to a man for being where we are

Reactions: SkyBlueSam01

Brighton Sky Blue

Jan 11, 2012
Coventry
He was awarded goal of the month in February for his earlier goal v Hudds (which might have been end Jan?). He had the Huddersfield defenders on toast by skipping into the box. Anyway, point still stands:

Name a better player fit at the club who could play AM?

Of course, there isn’t one.

Naturally, he’s better at CDM but we have potential cover there (Eccles, Burroughs, Dabo at a push) and absolutely no proven AMs.

The Huddersfield game was in January. Good goal yes, but what you’re suggesting would leave us with Eccles and Burroughs or even Dabo (for whom the idea of him at CDM has usually been a meme rather than serious) trying to hold the midfield.

This isn’t quite as insane as the Hudlin and Hyam debacles but it will end up with us getting overrun.

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
Hamer is not an attacking midfielder.
What are the attributes of an attacking midfielder? Being able to receive, anticipate, pass, dribble, run, shoot?

You saying he can’t do that?

He’s clearly capable of playing there. I’d argue far better than any other player at the club IMO.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
If all this talk of a playoff push is genuine, then going for a draw is not good enough. They're one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst. The aim has to be for three points with no excuses.
To be fair. Robins has pretty much ruled out play offs , the only talk of play offs is coming from a small section of the fanbase.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
The Huddersfield game was in January. Good goal yes, but what you’re suggesting would leave us with Eccles and Burroughs or even Dabo (for whom the idea of him at CDM has usually been a meme rather than serious) trying to hold the midfield.

This isn’t quite as insane as the Hudlin and Hyam debacles but it will end up with us getting overrun.
Well, I’m inclined to disagree. I’m not going to ridicule playing 3 up top, but I don’t think it’s a sensible alternative.

Hudlin scored again for Hudds B this week.

Genuinely worried that Waghorn will be out of the squad due to loan agreement and Warnock puts him as a striker option on the bench. It’ll be my luck he comes on and scores the winner. I’d take no pleasure in that whatsoever.

Brighton Sky Blue

Jan 11, 2012
Coventry
Well, I’m inclined to disagree. I’m not going to ridicule playing 3 up top, but I don’t think it’s a sensible alternative.

Hudlin scored again for Hudds B this week.

Genuinely worried that Waghorn will be out of the squad due to loan agreement and Warnock puts him as a striker option on the bench. It’ll be my luck he comes on and scores the winner. I’d take no pleasure in that whatsoever.

If this is a troll account it’s brilliant

Hertsccfc

Apr 29, 2018
Fads on the right wing anyone? Seems to be the fashion to advocate playing our best players out of position.

Hamer is not a no 10. Can't believe the Dabo CDM idea has resurfaced.

Last edited:

David O'Day

Feb 28, 2015
Fads on the right wing anyone? Seems to be the fashion to advocate playing our best players out of position.

Hamer is not an no 10.

vik has a decent engine, play him at wingback

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
A team that concedes 4 against Conference garbage at home probably doesn’t deserve to be in the Championship on this evidence

You joke, but FC Utrecht lost to a team two leagues below and the fans are boycotting the start of the next game. The manager put out a hostage style apology video as well.

As I said, I don't think we will get the playoffs, but beating easier teams should be part of the process. There are different ability levels across the league, and whilst the results don't always stand true, I'm not really sure how that's so hard to understand.

Samo

Jul 6, 2012
Marco Rus on the bench for me!

Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

pusbccfc

Apr 15, 2011
Coventry
Any pub suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread