Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Swansea City Match Thread - Saturday 17th Dec (1 Viewer)

Offhegoes

Although Swansea looked a decent outfit, we were all over them. 3 goals, and at least 4/5 other opportunities. That makes the horror show of the last half hour feel more like a one-off breakdown rather than a superior team finally clicking into gear. We’ve defended so well recently, so to see them skipping round our defenders in the box for the 1st and 2nd goals was unbelievable.

wingy

Although Swansea looked a decent outfit, we were all over them. 3 goals, and at least 4/5 other opportunities. That makes the horror show of the last half hour feel more like a one-off breakdown rather than a superior team finally clicking into gear. We’ve defended so well recently, so to see them skipping round our defenders in the box for the 1st and 2nd goals was unbelievable.
Unless that's fixed pronto WBA will muller us having watched the highlights tonight, very slick.

skyblue025

Dog shit last 20 minutes. We can't keep giving comfortable leads away. That's the second time this season we've done it. Today was worse than Milwall. We've a soft underbelly that needs sorting ASP.

Covkid1968#

I do hope those 2 cunts had brought French flags for ntcham otherwise sad as fuck

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Went to all the effort of buying flags off eBay only to hold them the wrong way around… 😂😂

slowpoke

Tough to take two games Reading & Swansea should be a minimum three points better off but these things happen I remember back in the Jimmy Hill days playing Southend at home 3-0 up cruising then bang bang losing 4-3 and the next season points clear top at the of the league against the same team again at home 2-0 up cruising and losing 5-2 to late goals bemusing and tough for 11 year old to take but Footballs a funny old game, there are positives we are playing well and didn’t lose, so onto in form West Brom bit of a bogey side especially at home, Albion flying at the moment need a win but important not to lose. Fingers crossed.

Sky Blue Heaven

Easy to say that if Fadz was playing we wouldn’t have conceded, however, Doyle’s lack of awareness for two of the goals, especially their first was glaringly obvious. Watching it back he has no idea that Piroe is on the move. Massive loss to our style of play with Fadz being out for 3 months. Let’s hope that the takeovers ratified asap, the embargo’s lifted and we have a new centre half in the building early January, otherwise with an injury & no natural centre half we’ll have Dabo or Bidwell playing there.

shmmeee

Dog shit last 20 minutes. We can't keep giving comfortable leads away. That's the second time this season we've done it. Today was worse than Milwall. We've a soft underbelly that needs sorting ASP.

“Keep” when has it happened before? I think this is the first time in my lifetime we’ve blown a three goal lead.

Grendel

“Keep” when has it happened before? I think this is the first time in my lifetime we’ve blown a three goal lead.

1974 home to Arsenal I think - Bob Wilson’s last game I believe

Ashdown

We can’t rely on Fadz either, he’s out for a long time . You don’t win games in your own half, for whatever reason we retreated back when if we had kept being positive we would have cruised home with 3 points.

slowpoke

If we’ve got money to spend from the takeover I’d also bring in a new keeper. You could see towards the end Kane was looking for instructions from Wilson for a wall I think it was that just didn’t come - we can’t go on like this.
Agree with goalkeeper, would take a loan there short term I’m sure a new goalie will be signed in the summer, experienced ones are expensive and we need to know what league we are in.

skyblue025

My point is we are throwing points away from comfortable positions. If you're 2 or 3 up you should be winning that game not hanging on hoping you can snatch a draw. Happened at Milwall and again yesterday. You get freak results but twice already and were not even 1/2 way through a season is too many.

shmmeee

My point is we are throwing points away from comfortable positions. If you're 2 or 3 up you should be winning that game not hanging on hoping you can snatch a draw. Happened at Milwall and again yesterday. You get freak results but twice already and were not even 1/2 way through a season is too many.

I mean there were three months in between so not sure it’s a trend and I wouldn’t say the Millwall game was similar to yesterdays. Don’t get me wrong yesterday was unacceptable but let’s see how they respond, that’s what matters.

jordan210

dropping points on games like this is killing all the good run we had.

No idea why you would bring on Kelly who isn't fully fit or even up to Championship standard.

Even at 3 will up we need to just keep attacking. we dont have the squad to defend a lead.

Skybluefaz

dropping points on games like this is killing all the good run we had.

No idea why you would bring on Kelly who isn't fully fit or even up to Championship standard.

Even at 3 will up we need to just keep attacking. we dont have the squad to defend a lead.
We've beaten quite a few teams 1 - 0 this season. Kept plenty of clean sheets. How do you square that off against "we don't have the squad to defend a lead".

We had a bad half an hour yesterday.

jordan210

We've beaten quite a few teams 1 - 0 this season. Kept plenty of clean sheets. How do you square that off against "we don't have the squad to defend a lead".

We had a bad half an hour yesterday.

When we have Fadz we look solid at the back. As soon as we lose him we go Shakey.

Basicly we need some more experience in the back line.

Also most the the 1-0's we still keep attacking just dont score !

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
For sixty minutes we played very well. We didn't have a lot of possession but we were in control. Yes Swansea had some chances but it wasn't that we scored the only ones we had or against the run of play was it. We deserved the 3 nil lead and scored 3 good goals. We should not lose sight of that 60 minutes

Yes Swansea had chances but I don't remember Wilson being particularly troubled by any of them. We coped well out of possession, regularly getting a foot in to break things up and creating our own chances, could have scored a couple before Panzo's header. At 3 nil Swansea had little to lose and changed things. We reacted 15 minutes later, it took too long. The gap between forwards and midfield got too wide, the midfield sat back just in front of the defence. That meant even fewer outlets to relieve the pressure. Defenders had little option but a hit and hope clearance to Gyokeres

Bringing Kelly on didn't change that, indeed he didn't seem to affect the game much at all either physically or in terms of leadership. He immediately moved Sheaf sideways and the pair sat deep in front of the defence further isolating the forwards and restricting outlets. MR chose to put Kelly on. I cant help thinking Waghorn would have added more energy and just as much experience. Kelly is too slow physically and in thought and well past his best.

Kane wasn't in the game either. But by that time Swansea were in the ascendency, Burroughs i believe had to go off with cramp. Instead of adding to the cause the two substitutions didn't seem to add anything at all, possibly compounding the problems if anything

Everyone around us was saying we needed more energy, to play higher up the pitch, to keep hold of the ball when we got it. If we could see that you would expect the management team to see it, its their job. It didn't happen

Both substitutions were MR's choice, they didn't work. Thats not saying he is a bad manager, or hasn't and doesn't do a brilliant job. Just that on the last 30 minutes of a game we were winning 3 nil he didn't react in a way to counter the changes Swansea made. Maybe part of the problem was due to injuries and squad size, and to a degree out of MR's control. It wasn't all down to the players and inexperience on the pitch. If there are insufficient leaders on the pitch then the management team has to try to influence things more and promptly.

But that in a way does Swansea and Joe Allen in particular a disservice. They are a decent team, with quality players in depth, with plenty of experience. At 3 nil they had nothing to lose and on this occasion it worked for them. They forced play higher up the pitch. First half yes a lot of possession but mainly 30 yards from goal, second half that changed to similar possession but in our half. By the end of the match i was almost relieved we hadn't lost it. But we at least got a valuable point

I don't think the "blame" was all down to the players in the last 30 minutes. For me MR bears bears some responsibility. Does that make him a bad manager of course not, does that mean he should go because he has taken us as far as he can no thats just utter nonsense. Does that mean we cant disagree with his decisions- no and for me he got it wrong from about 65 minutes onwards. Of course up until 65 minutes he got it spot on.

As for those that booed at the end, i can understand the frustration but i dont agree with the reaction

onwards and upwards PUSB

Last edited:

larry_david

Thinking back just can't believe how naive we were.

No time wasting, no taking 20 seconds to retrieve the ball. No fake injuries, not hang on got cramp to disrupt their play and rhythm.

No wilson fucking about, instead everytjme he got it he just launched it anywhere without thinking.

We saw our really scary wins against Watford, Sheffield utd, qpr in such good fashion. It's like tje world cup break we just forgot what we are doing

Grendel

Thinking back just can't believe how naive we were.

No time wasting, no taking 20 seconds to retrieve the ball. No fake injuries, not hang on got cramp to disrupt their play and rhythm.

No wilson fucking about, instead everytjme he got it he just launched it anywhere without thinking.

We saw our really scary wins against Watford, Sheffield utd, qpr in such good fashion. It's like tje world cup break we just forgot what we are doing

wasting time would have just meant they had more stoppage time to win the game. The midfield were just played round. It was like the Burnley game but Swansea defensively aren’t Burnley

Reactions: SBT

shmmeee

wasting time would have just meant they had more stoppage time to win the game. The midfield were just played round. It was like the Burnley game but Swansea defensively aren’t Burnley

I don’t think the midfield could keep the energy up for 90 mins as well and once they’d relaxed they couldn’t get it back. That’s why I’d like to have seen Waghorn and Palmer on just for fresh legs and to press from the front again.

Tommo1993

Now disappointed to see that Bianca Westwood was at the game yesterday for SSN and I didn’t get to say hello.

wantageskyblue

1974 home to Arsenal I think - Bob Wilson’s last game I believe
Listening to CWR on way home yesterday somebody said that we were 3-0 up against Brighton at home in 1980 and ended up drawing 3-3. Apparently we conceded all in in the last couple of minutes and 1 Brighton player ( I think Clive said Gordon Smith) scored all of them. Jim Brown confirmed the details.
Pretty sure I would have been there but can’t honestly remember any of that.

clint van damme

Listening to CWR on way home yesterday somebody said that we were 3-0 up against Brighton at home in 1980 and ended up drawing 3-3. Apparently we conceded all in in the last couple of minutes and 1 Brighton player ( I think Clive said Gordon Smith) scored all of them. Jim Brown confirmed the details.
Pretty sure I would have been there but can’t honestly remember any of that.

Let's hope its at least another 40 years before it happens again.

blunted

I was at that game. Funny how memory is a strange thing. Thought Gallacher (one of our best ever players) ran Pearce ragged which I suppose he did scoring three, but highlights don't show him scooting past Pearce time after time like I remember. Typical Cov selling one of our best players to Blackburn. Forgot Butcher was in charge (one of our worst managers). Remember the ref who was a real character always doing 20 yard sprints to get in position whenever he was the ref at HR. Thank God they did away with the back pass rule (see shit Arsenal back passing under Graham).

Users who are viewing this thread