Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Reading Match Thread - Saturday 22nd Apr (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
Bickering going well the day before a game where if we win we have a chance of putting ourselves in pole position for the playoffs after being bottom after a fair few games at the start.
Can't wait to read the crap tomorrow if we don't get 3 points.
Wonder which of those players who have over-achieved almost the whole season get slagged off by all the so-called experts.
100% there will be a thread dedicated to Bidwell with some obscure stats.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Might it be worth starting with 3 forwards, with Walker in the 10 position, if Allen + Sheaf cannot start?
Not sure Walker would suit that. Or Godden for that matter.

If you were going to do that Vik would be the most suited to it as he likes to turn and run at defenders, even though it would seem mad to do that to your top scorer. It would either be a masterstroke that flummoxed the opposition or a complete disaster.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Dec 15, 2015
One thing that seems apparent; we have some players that have a weak mentality. When we have a big game, they hide. If we do get to the playoffs, that worries me.

Sheaf did it against Stoke (sorry I know that will trigger a few), but he was awful. Culpable for much of the onslaught. However, was much better against Blackburn until his injury and was one of the better players. Eccles, Bidwell, Doyle, and BNC have been regular chokers however, and I feel have been poor recently with limited redeeming factors.

Tomorrow it is such an important match. We need 11 players at the top of their game. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't relax. Some of the biggest games in our generational history coming up.

Hope we will be celebrating this time tomorrow. PUSB.

SeaSeeEffCee

Sep 6, 2017
Coventry, England
I’m sure there used to be some rule where the suspension started 7 days after you got sent off. Don’t know if I’ve imagined that
There used to be a rule where you weren’t suspended until after you’d gone through the appeal process I’m pretty sure. I feel like I remember Rio Ferdinand playing the game after getting sent off for United because they’d appealed it and were awaiting the results.

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
One thing that seems apparent; we have some players that have a weak mentality. When we have a big game, they hide. If we do get to the playoffs, that worries me.

Sheaf did it against Stoke (sorry I know that will trigger a few), but he was awful. Culpable for much of the onslaught. However, was much better against Blackburn until his injury and was one of the better players. Eccles, Bidwell, Doyle, and BNC have been regular chokers however, and I feel have been poor recently with limited redeeming factors.

Tomorrow it is such an important match. We need 11 players at the top of their game. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't relax. Some of the biggest games in our generational history coming up.

Don't agree to be honest.
I think we just have players that struggle to be consistent, something that affects half a dozen other teams in the league who can also be very good on their day.
This season they've overcame the bollocks at the start of the season, a run where we couldn't buy a win and injuries to several key players to be on the verge of the play offs.
Last season we won a shitload of points late on from losing positions, it doesn't point to a weak mentality to me.

Of course there are games, like Swansea at home, where we have a collective brain fart but I don't think there's a big issue.
Wednesday is a good example, to play that poorly but still rescue a point in the manner we did shows bollocks in my opinion.

PVA

Apr 22, 2011

If you think things like progressive carries are obscure and not used by every football club in the land then you're just showing yourself up to be pretty clueless on modern recruitment.

And in your own words I'm an expert anyway 😉

That’s relegation form, unfortunately.
Let’s hope the experts who wrote off most of the other teams in the league as dreadful and beneath us will be proven right.

Tommo1993

Apr 14, 2019
2-1 Cov.

Gyokeres, Godden and Kevin Doyle with the goals.

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
2-1 Cov.

Gyokeres, Godden and Kevin Doyle with the goals.

Are you getting your veteran Irish strikers mixed up? Do you mean Long?
. I wish Carroll hadn't been suspended to be honest, I always think he looks poor these days when I see him play.

Tommo1993

Apr 14, 2019
Are you getting your veteran Irish strikers mixed up? Do you mean Long?
. I wish Carroll hadn't been suspended to be honest, I always think he looks poor these days when I see him play.

No I mean Kevin Doyle!

Londonccfcfan

Oct 12, 2015
Have you not read certain comments about Norton Cuffy and Wilson-Esbrand, virtually every match regardless of how they play? I have no problem with reasoned arguments, in fact I enjoy such discussions but some if these had no reason what so ever.

I believe I challenged the personal comments Allen.
Cuffy and Esbrand have improved.

Reactions: covcity4life

Great_Expectations

Mar 18, 2011
I like all of our players and I think we’ll win today.

Except for the players I don’t like, who I’ll criticise no matter how they perform.

I also like stats, unless they show me something I don’t want to see.

Finally, our players have got us to within touching distance of the play offs, despite a mess of an off field situation and missing several key players throughout the year. And came back from behind twice in the last few weeks. But they’re weak.

Enjoyable pre match read before the biggest game of the season so far.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
y

Yet you get upset if anyone suggests Allen isn't a top Championship player.

I agree about nuance but BNC and JWE are blamed for us conceding goals that are clearly not their fault. I am Hamer's biggest fan but he was responsible for the Sunderland goal not JWE. And BNC was not responsible for Blackburn's goal.

I never said he was responsible, I was showing how his high press had consequences that rippled through the defensive shape, causing overloads pulling Fadz out of position, and meaning Bidwell couldn't get out to press the cross as quickly as he'd have liked. 100% robins and the coaching team will have gone through some video analysis and identified that. That said Blackburn did superbly to get through out press and move us around.

And whislt Hamer was to blame for the Sunderland goal, JWE didn't close him down quick enough and didn't block the line of the shot, allowing the player to get a shot off with his strong foot. He could and should have done better.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012

I think that’s unfair. It’s not binary. Strong mentality or weak mentality.
These players have shown up since they were 7 or 8 showing they were the best in their age group and giving a best in the class performance

I think most of the difference is consistency.

I’d love some psychologist to look at what robins has done these last 6 years to progress his players collectively and individually

I think it’s mainly about belief. I know that’s a bit Ted lasso but at a certain level of talent belief becomes the arbiter and in that way mentality does become an issue.

So do the players truly believe they have the talent to play in the play offs.

Do we?

Certainly Hamer and yok do. How many of the others genuinely believe?

Amcoventry

Jul 26, 2017
New Zealand
Heres a thought? Start a thread Coventry vs Reading Referee thread and all those that make so many comments on the referee during the game can post in that thread. I try to follow the game here in NZ on this site but rather than get the flow of the game all I get is constant comments on the referee? The Blackburn game all I got was comments on how bad the referee was and yet on BBC I see they gave away 14 fouls to our 9? Just an idea!

Blind-Faith

Mar 19, 2018
Southam
Some fresh legs would be helpful today. I’d bet tempted to start Walker , Kelly + JWE

Early goal and get the place bouncing, Reading will fall apart I reckon. Can’t wait for it! ⚽️⚽️⚽️

Reactions: Londonccfcfan

TomRad85

Apr 30, 2018
Still some arguments about Blackburns goal I see. I thought it was a pretty good goal tbh, not gonna keep a clean sheet every game are we.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

Oct 12, 2015
Walker in for Godden is a must. I loved Matty G but he's been atrocious the past few weeks.
I agree start Walker. Dont agree Goddens been atrocious.

Gyo and Vik just havnt linked up great imo.

In fact I think we may even go with 1 striker if Allen and Sheaf are fit.

We also play better And are defensively good when we boss the midfield

TomRad85

Apr 30, 2018
It was an excellent header to be fair.
It was, I think any player in the game would be happy with that header.

TomRad85

Apr 30, 2018
Absolutely no pressure on the delivery into the box. Bidwell was miles away.
Sure but what's the point in banging on about it? The header was fucking brilliant and our goals against column is pretty tidy, especially when you consider a good wedge of them were conceded during the horrendous start to the season.

Covkid1968#

Apr 1, 2013
North Leics…...unfortunately
Dots slowly disappearing… going to be busy today so expect huge queues at every turnstile. Flat pre poured beer, Pies selling out and a need to factor in a 10 minute wait for us old bastards to be able to release the contents of our bladders.

Users who are viewing this thread