Your Most Satisfying Victory (1 Viewer)

Astute

87 QF for me. What a great day. And that was other than the football as well. Driver nearly got arrested for carrying beer on the way out of Coventry. They were checking vans/minibuses on the way onto the motorway. They threw lots of cases of beer onto the roadside that were at our feet :mad: We had lots more hidden though :p When we arrived near Sheffield the pub crawl started. Great banter with the Weds fans. The UTD fans were wishing us good luck.

Took ages to get into the ground. I picked my feet up and got carried to the turnstiles. Once in the atmosphere was electric. Met so many people for the first time each time we scored. You never knew where you would end up. You just tried to make sure it wasn't on the floor or against a barrier. I got a barrier after one of the goals. But although dangerous you didn't realise at the time. It was all about the game. And what a game it was.

Then it was time to find each other. For the younger ones........no mobile phones. Then the celebration pub crawl started.

So for me the QF was the best. Great game, great result and best ever away day. It was also where we thought our name was on the cup.

robbieray

Apart from the cup win, one great day for me was at highfield rd , 1995/6 when we beat Blackburn 5-0 think it was Dec time and my missus was xmas shopping in Cov she asked how we got on i replied 5-0 she said never mind ..i said no we won 5-0 lol

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've posted it before, but this is still tops in my memory......

absolutely crushing the all conquering Liverpool all-stars team.......the whole ground went bat-shit mental....

I know the early 80's had some shocking football violence & the police were utter cunts, but you just don't get an atmosphere like that in English football anymore.......fan-bloody-tastic day!!!

[video=youtube;DbLg9UkK0YU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbLg9UkK0YU[/video]

torchomatic

One nil down after what, fifty odd minutes (can’t quite remember after all these years), with the time ticking away. I remember feeling really, really sick as I thought we’d come so far and come so close and it was going to be over. What made it worse was the sense of vertigo as we were in the opposite (home) end to where we usually were and it was bloody steep and it felt like I was falling forward all the time.

When Gynny scored the sense of relief was tremendous, it really was and the tension lifted from all our fans in an instant. It was a fantastic feeling and I remember it more vividly than when I was at Wembley for the Final.

The day after a load of us went to Benidorm for a lads’ holiday too and we had such a great time.

A brilliant, brilliant day.

Last edited:

ajsccfc

Super Bowl in January, England beating Scotland at Euro 96 (I watched in the front room of my Scottish friend's house, sadly also went over his for the semi-final). Cov-wise I was playing in the street when the FA Cup was on and didn't go to those Man Utd games, so none stick out. That JPT win over Preston was the tits, mind you.

rupert_bear

Apart from the obvious I would say the 6th round win v Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsbrough, a tough tie and winning that one convinced me it was our year. Wednesday were a formidable side that year especially at home and especially in the cup.

skybluelee

Absolutely humiliating the Aussies away in the Ashes 10/11
City beating Villa in 99/00 - Keane running them ragged after Gregory had refused to pay the extra £500K for him.
Weymouth hammering Dorchester 8-0 in 03/04
Beating Argentina in 2002 WC

Brighton Sky Blue

Still stands out as the best City game I've ever been to and that was 4-3 v Man City at home in the 2001/2 season.

torchomatic

I took my wife (well still GF then) to that and she said "are all games like this?!"

Still stands out as the best City game I've ever been to and that was 4-3 v Man City at home in the 2001/2 season.

torchomatic

After Lloyd McG he's my favourite City player of the "modern" generation. Brilliant.

That was when David Thompson scored a last minute winner IIRC. Great game.

torchomatic

Oh yeah, one of the other games that I remember well, what a great day, that was. And Liverpool were THE TEAM in those days too.

I've posted it before, but this is still tops in my memory......

absolutely crushing the all conquering Liverpool all-stars team.......the whole ground went bat-shit mental....

I know the early 80's had some shocking football violence & the police were utter cunts, but you just don't get an atmosphere like that in English football anymore.......fan-bloody-tastic day!!!

Moff

I am totally with Astute and Terry Gibsons perm on this one, my favorite Victory was the 3-1 Quarter final win over Sheffield Wednesday in 87.

The atmosphere was electric, the team fantastic, and the result totally totally deserved from a great game. Cyrille's goal was also one of the best breakaway goals you will ever see, with pace, power and precision from Benno and then Cyrille. The result led us into the unknown and later our greatest day, which obviously is one of my other favorite victories.

I was also at a game in the early eighties when we beat Sunderland at home 6-1, which is I think our biggest top flight win. Great game, and result, and beating the maccam's made it all the better.

On a personal level I still feel our greatest victory is still to come, when we finally rid ourselves of the worst football club owners our club could have, and begin the rebuilding process onwards and upwards, from a litany of poor shambolic ownership that originally started with Richardson.

Last edited:

musicmanskyblue

Boxing Day 1999. Great game, great goals (especially Davor Suker's; although Keanes flick wasn't far behind)

Thanks Monners.. Thats the one... Yeah Suker's goal sticks in the memory for sure.. Hadji's free kick as well.. Thing about that game was Arsenal we're good but we we're better..

skybluelee

Thanks Monners.. Thats the one... Yeah Suker's goal sticks in the memory for sure.. Hadji's free kick as well.. Thing about that game was Arsenal we're good but we we're better..

It wasn't a freekick but still a cracking finish. Keane's goal was pure genius. Makes me so depressed looking at the shambles of a side we support now.

Brighton Sky Blue

After Lloyd McG he's my favourite City player of the "modern" generation. Brilliant.

Not the most disciplined of players which puts him down the list for me. My favourite of the 'modern' era would be big Dele-worked his socks off game after game and his solo goal at Blackburn was incredible.

Rusty Trombone

Went to Old Trafford for many years in the hope of seeing a win there, never did see one, then when we won with Mifsud's goals I didn't go as I never thought we had the remotest chance, sounded amazing on the radio, very jealous of those who went.

Brighton Sky Blue

Went to Old Trafford for many years in the hope of seeing a win there, never did see one, then when we won with Mifsud's goals I didn't go as I never thought we had the remotest chance, sounded amazing on the radio, very jealous of those who went.

Still remember Geoff shrieking like a schoolgirl when the 2nd went in.

oscillatewildly

Apart from the cup win, one great day for me was at highfield rd , 1995/6 when we beat Blackburn 5-0 think it was Dec time and my missus was xmas shopping in Cov she asked how we got on i replied 5-0 she said never mind ..i said no we won 5-0 lol
Heavily frosted pitch and an orange ball, what a performance that was! Went to the midweek 1992/93 league fixture at Ewood park when Blackburn were already 'champions' elect. We bollocked 'em 5-2. For me, that will be up there with the most satisfying along with that same season's trouncing of both Liverpool and Villa.

Rusty Trombone

Heavily frosted pitch and an orange ball, what a performance that was! Went to the midweek 1992/93 league fixture at Ewood park when Blackburn were already 'champions' elect. We bollocked 'em 5-2. For me, that will be up there with the most satisfying along with that same season's trouncing of both Liverpool and Villa.

In the frosty 5:0 win one of their players went off as he was colour blind and couldn't see the orange ball against the remaining green parts of the pitch.

RoboCCFC90

When we smashed Villa 4-1 at Scum Park! That was epic on so many levels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calista

One nil down after what, fifty odd minutes (can’t quite remember after all these years), with the time ticking away. I remember feeling really, really sick as I thought we’d come so far and come so close and it was going to be over. What made it worse was the sense of vertigo as we were in the opposite (home) end to where we usually were and it was bloody steep and it felt like I was falling forward all the time.

When Gynny scored the sense of relief was tremendous, it really was and the tension lifted from all our fans in an instant. It was a fantastic feeling and I remember it more vividly than when I was at Wembley for the Final.

The day after a load of us went to Benidorm for a lads’ holiday too and we had such a great time.

A brilliant, brilliant day.

Torch, I’m sure everyone felt exactly the same when we were a goal down. I actually think the noise when Gynn scored that equaliser was the loudest sound I’ve ever heard :p I reckon the end we were in held well over 20,000 and you’re right – the explosion of relief and joy was completely unforgettable. I met Micky in a bar at some 5-a-side awards a few years later, and I ribbed him that he had mishit the shot, but he was adamant that it went exactly where he aimed it. He tried to buy me a drink but I insisted on getting one for him, and made sure he knew what he did for so many people that day. Cheers again Micky!

percy

awesome night that. dont want to sound greedy but i wish mifsuds backheel had gone in, it would have been a fabulous goal and very fitting for the venue !!!

Terry Gibson's perm

I am totally with Astute and Terry Gibsons perm on this one, my favorite Victory was the 3-1 Quarter final win over Sheffield Wednesday in 87.

The atmosphere was electric, the team fantastic, and the result totally totally deserved from a great game. Cyrille's goal was also one of the best breakaway goals you will ever see, with pace, power and precision from Benno and then Cyrille. The result led us into the unknown and later our greatest day, which obviously is one of my other favorite victories.

I was also at a game in the early eighties when we beat Sunderland at home 6-1, which is I think our biggest top flight win. Great game, and result, and beating the maccam's made it all the better.

On a personal level I still feel our greatest victory is still to come, when we finally rid ourselves of the worst football club owners our club could have, and begin the rebuilding process onwards and upwards, from a litany of poor shambolic ownership that originally started with Richardson.

We had this game on VHS and my dad loved to watch it but one afternoon I recorded Byker Grove over it and I don't think he has forgiven me yet!

jimmyhillsfanclub

When we smashed Villa 4-1 at Scum Park! That was epic on so many levels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Sacked in the morning...you're getting sacked in the morning...."

Brilliant day out.....Nearly got slung out by their stewards when Boateng got the 4th for over-zealous celebrations.....

Osullivan18

One of my favourites I went to was wolves at the Ricoh, sat next to my mate a wolves fan and ebanks-Blake missed a last minute penalty (Westwood saved)
Old trafford was also amazing and was surprised by their fans after the game saying we deserved the win.

Users who are viewing this thread