WTF is he saying here? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

May I just remind him we have won just once away all season and are relegated or has he somehow considered this not logical to conclude why others would think the way they do? This is the kind of 'management' that baffles me. I like Thorn but really my friend? Here's the quote....

But a defiant Thorn said: “We’re getting fed up of people saying ‘it’s only Coventry’ and dismissing us.

"That’s really starting to get on my nerves!

“When you hear people saying they are quite happy to be playing us and that sort of stuff, they obviously haven’t watched many of our games this season, and if they think we are going to go there and lay down that is not going to be the case."

Moff

No Andy I have watched plenty of our games this season and on reflection, including two previous losses at home to Southampton, and our pathetically poor away record, Southamptons fantastic home record, the fact they are playing for promotion and we for nothing, that our best player is out, and that our team will be mostly made up of kids and the useless David Bell, I can see why we might not be seen as favourites for the game :facepalm:

Paxman II

Moff it was not so much what you are saying over the season but when AT says "starting to get on my nerves". Well it's all a bit to late to be saying that now sherlock!

..and "they obviously haven't watch many of our games this season" really does defy logic don't you think?

sylus

thorn!..he has so lost the plot....we will roll over at s/hampton 2moro no doubt bout it. infront of the whole country to..just hoping its not a massacre..

Paxman II

It's tough for anyone to criticise Thorn after what he has endured in the job but I do have to wonder when he comes out with such stuff whether we have a man capable of leading us in league 1 and how much of our relegation blame can be put on his shoulders?
Statements like that give me cause to rethink what just happened this season and ALL the reasons. Still think he is one of those reasons if I'm honest and he's now sounding a bit of a joke.

Think we need a manager with some reputation of success in the lower leagues. I'm not so confident about Thorn and certainly if the same coaching staff remain too.

Gaz

Thorn this Thorn that ....

God this is getting boring now ... :sleep:

So everyone would be happy for a headline in the telegraph to read:

"Thorn hopes for as small a deficit as possible"

Andy Thorn, after already accepting his Coventry side will lose tomorrow, has urged Southampton to go easy on his players.

"Well we know we're going to lose, but given the fact it's on national television i think it would be the decent thing to cap the amount of goals allowable to a maximum of 2 to save us any further embarrasment" stated Thorn.....

Honestly, people need to get a grip.

torchomatic

I agree DH. It's a case of damned either way, but I certainly see where Pax and Moff are coming from. It's a shame that he's got to say ANYTHING before the game, but well, it's these little soundbites that keep us going.

Brighton Sky Blue

Then let him say 'We're aiming to go out on a high' rather than 'I have no idea why we're being written off'.

Paxman II

Yes it's about choosing your words more carefully if you want to be pedantic about it.
The problem I have he sounds delusional.
Just say we will give it a bloody good go.
To say what he said is pathetic with the record we have. Not a case of dam if you do/don't.

smileycov

Facebook User
i hear it slightly differently tbf.
he is trying to say, to possibly whu that we havent rolled over for anyone this year and most of the games have been tight...ish. teams didnt just turn up to get 3 points. i think that is what he meant, as opposed to we have been great all season dont worry!! just my take on it thats all.

torchomatic

Yeah, I think that's right Smiley. One of the odd things for me is that although we've been relegated we've not really been outplayed on too many occasions and haven't really had a hammering. That's frustrating really, it either gives you hope that we could escape or makes you wonder whether we're just bloody boring.

At least if we'd have lost 5-0 every week we would have been a bit more clear about things. The "playing well" illusion gave us all hope.

kingharvest

Also - and i don't think its about Atkins trying to disrespect us, its more about him trying to instill loads of confidence in his players - but his comments the other day after the game about "Coventry at home, what more do you want?" and how confident he is of winning have kind of pissed me off a bit as well.

Reminds of when we drew Tottenham in the league cup in our first season in the championship and Glenn Hoddle, then manager of spurs said, "Its their cup final". F*ck off glenn, if you wanna talk about cup finals, lets talk about 1987 yeah?

Nick

Administrator
I also like the "We will go out fighting comments" the same as the whole season then yeah?

Yeah, I think that's right Smiley. One of the odd things for me is that although we've been relegated we've not really been outplayed on too many occasions and haven't really had a hammering. That's frustrating really, it either gives you hope that we could escape or makes you wonder whether we're just bloody boring.

At least if we'd have lost 5-0 every week we would have been a bit more clear about things. The "playing well" illusion gave us all hope.

thing is we played for 90 mins in how many games this season ? 2-3 max

we play in 15-20 mins periods thats all.

we havent been outplayed much but neither have we out played teams

Brighton Sky Blue

Also - and i don't think its about Atkins trying to disrespect us, its more about him trying to instill loads of confidence in his players - but his comments the other day after the game about "Coventry at home, what more do you want?" and how confident he is of winning have kind of pissed me off a bit as well.

Reminds of when we drew Tottenham in the league cup in our first season in the championship and Glenn Hoddle, then manager of spurs said, "Its their cup final". F*ck off glenn, if you wanna talk about cup finals, lets talk about 1987 yeah?

Adkins pissed me off a lot when he was at Scunthorpe with quotes like 'We're just happy to be here' and similar lines embellishing the underdog status. That even he is playing down City shows how unfancied we are.

skybluehugh

Gave some people hope, others could see he was off his head a long time ago

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yes it's about choosing your words more carefully if you want to be pedantic about it.
The problem I have he sounds delusional.

To say what he said is pathetic with the record we have. Not a case of dam if you do/don't.
I see what you are getting at, it is easy to see why Southampton fans may be expecting an easy victory.

On the flip side though if he said "Just say we will give it a bloody good go. "
People would ask why does he keep spouting the same boring stuff before each match.
A manager of a side on a poor run will always get his interviews over analysed and no matter what he had said I think there would be people who pick holes in his words.

Users who are viewing this thread