Would this be a sign of a good defender? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

If you had a defender just signed for the club and the club only lost 2 of the first 17 games of the season having had an indifferent end to the prior season - would you say that defender should be above criticism?

wingy

If you had a defender just signed for the club and the club only lost 2 of the first 17 games of the season having had an indifferent end to the prior season - would you say that defender should be above criticism?

Is this a trap or a reference to Burges stats over his appearances since he took over No1 shirt.
Just guessing as I don't know his stats?
Emphasising the Importance of position and particular snapshot of activity?

hill83

Just spit it out you boring prick

Edit: Bit harsh but I'm sticking with it

Last edited:

Grendel

Just spit it out you boring prick

Edit: Bit harsh but I'm sticking with it

Not bothered about harsh and I'm asking the question as apparently as long as results are positive players should not be criticised.

Also, frankly you don't have to be Colombo to work out the answer.

italiahorse

Not bothered about harsh and I'm asking the question as apparently as long as results are positive players should not be criticised.

Also, frankly you don't have to be Colombo to work out the answer.

Is someone catching up on the your record number of posts ?

Grendel

Is someone catching up on the your record number of posts ?

I think you will find I am in third place.

Still for record number of posts that refer to arse licking Nick Eastwood I gather all bookies have closed the book.

Harranold

Depends on if the said defender had been on loan at the end of last season. Which by the way was when the season turned around and relegation was avoided.

ccfcway

Depends on if the said defender had been on loan at the end of last season. Which by the way was when the season turned around and relegation was avoided.

cant be referring to that, as we haven't played 17 game this season so far, so he isn't talking about this season

We are just gonna have to wait for Colombo...

stupot07

Just for reference Burges stats over last Seventeen are
Defeats ---4
Clean Sheets ----7.

The problem with that stat is you defend as a team, and of the forwards, midfield and defenders do their job the opposition won't create (m]any clear cut chances and therefore won't test the keeper often enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

wingy

Its not Burge. We haven't played 17 this season and he didn't start at the beginning of last season.
Yeah realise that just thought I'd throw It out there as I think I know where Grendels coming from and you can make stats work several ways.
I think he may be referring to Webster and drawing a Comparison to how Reda Is perceived.

Grendel

Its not Burge. We haven't played 17 this season and he didn't start at the beginning of last season.

It's a defender

It's Andy Webster

Was he getting praise, excuses and defence of his ability do you think?

ccfcway

It's a defender

It's Andy Webster

I don't know or am that bothered. it was last season. we might as well talk about Billy Daniels, if this is about Burge, why not just stick it in one of the many Burge threads ?

wingy

It's a defender

It's Andy Webster

What do I win?
You can make stats do many things Grendel.
I doubt he got the bile he received for the remainder of his stay, but yeah you have a point.

Johhny Blue

I hate to shit on your cornflakes but we've conceded 7 goals (10th in the division)

bawtryneal

I would love to understand his agenda.

I cannot decide if he is a WUM, or just lacking in all social skills or maybe special needs. I cannot believe he supports and follows the same football team as me. Does he actually go to all games. Would love to meet up and understand what goes on inside his head.

skybluetony176

Exclusive footage of Grendull just after he posted this thread.

giphy.gif

johnwillomagic

Where is Webster now is he still training with us or has he moved on now? I think Grendel does have a slight point but there
are a lot here with Reda is god Webster is complete poo blinkers on here on this website.

The reality is somewhere between the two - Reda is still comnfortably better player imo but Webster nowhere near as bad here as some made out
either!!!

Grendel

An attempt to have a go at Reda. You should know what Grendel is like by now.

No it's a point that stats ultimately are irrelevant when considering the relative merits of one player.

It's equally applicable to Burge. We are constantly told we are winning games so why do people criticise the goalkeeper

Why then would anyone have at the time criticised the centre half - we were winning games.

Grendel

I would love to understand his agenda.

I cannot decide if he is a WUM, or just lacking in all social skills or maybe special needs. I cannot believe he supports and follows the same football team as me. Does he actually go to all games. Would love to meet up and understand what goes on inside his head.

What I don't understand is why some players "will get better" -.when the evidence suggests the exact opposite.

Astute

No it's a point that stats ultimately are irrelevant when considering the relative merits of one player.

It's equally applicable to Burge. We are constantly told we are winning games so why do people criticise the goalkeeper

Why then would anyone have at the time criticised the centre half - we were winning games.

I agree with half of this. But Reda's stats include when we were shit last season. Most of the time when he played we didn't lose. When he didn't play we normally lost. He held the defence together and scored a few goals. What did Webster do other than be a team mate of Reda's?

Users who are viewing this thread