World Athletics and 2022 world cup (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

so for the Womens 100m final yesterday - the attendance looked to be close to zero!!
What does this mean for the world cup in Qatar
can we expect pathetic attendances
Will be much harder and much less appealing for travelling supporters
This could easily be the worst world cup ever played in the middle of our own season, with pathetic attendances and players returning from the tournament exhausted thereby making a mockery of domestic leagues

lifeskyblue

I have no sympathy. If these sports chase the dollar they get what they deserve. As for the impact on domestic leagues; we have known the problems since the astonishing gifting of the World Cup to Qatar, made a few half hearted noises and then let it slide. What will Sky do without Super Sunday for a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think the fact is was Women's is probably a big factor. Hugely conservative nation for who many probably don't think women should even be competing due to religious beliefs, let alone having them walk around in all that sportswear.

WC I think will be a bit better attended but many games will not be anywhere near full and attendances will be boosted by freebies being handed out.

Reactions: vow

skybluesam66

i did think the mixed 4x400m relay was a good innovation
2 men and 2 women per team running in any order
so Poland left a woman to run the 4th leg, other teams had a man
so a 50m + lead disappeared on the last leg - something a bit different

Bertola

I think the fact is was Women's is probably a big factor. Hugely conservative nation for who many probably don't think women should even be competing due to religious beliefs, let alone having them walk around in all that sportswear.

WC I think will be a bit better attended but many games will not be anywhere near full and attendances will be boosted by freebies being handed out.

I agree with the logic in this, but the mens 100m final on Saturday was as bad. Athletes that have sacrificed their life to get a major achievement in a world championship deserve a good crowd, to celebrate medals etc infront of a sparse crowd takes something away

tisza

World sports authorities & others chasing cash.
Qatar population just over 2 million.
Is Qatar a place the average football fan wants to go to for a month for a WC? Going to pop over the border to Saudi for a quick beer?
Boxing now in Saudi Arabia for the cash incentives.
FIFA will keep expanding WC places until India & China can get in - 2 massive markets relatively unfleeced atm.

Gazolba

i did think the mixed 4x400m relay was a good innovation
2 men and 2 women per team running in any order
so Poland left a woman to run the 4th leg, other teams had a man
so a 50m + lead disappeared on the last leg - something a bit different
I've been putting forward the idea of mixed team sports for ages.
They've had mixed doubles in tennis for years, so why not other sports?
Golf tournaments like the Ryder Cup would be ideal for this.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've been putting forward the idea of mixed team sports for ages.
They've had mixed doubles in tennis for years, so why not other sports?
Golf tournaments like the Ryder Cup would be ideal for this.

I'd like to see Davis Cup and Fed Cup amalgamated. One each men/womens singles, one each mens/womens doubles, one mixed doubles

Gazolba

I'd like to see Davis Cup and Fed Cup amalgamated. One each men/womens singles, one each mens/womens doubles, one mixed doubles
Great idea. And I vote for the Williams sisters to be classified as men.

CJ_covblaze

We’ll be heading over for it (if we qualify). Not sure how we’re going to do it yet. May do day trips, stay for a few days at a time or stay until we’re out. What’s for certain is it’s unlikely we’ll spend a month solid in Qatar. More likely to spend a few days in each of the countries nearby in between games.

The blockade and current political situation is a huge issue though. If it continues I’m not quite sure how it will be possible to run the tournament. I guess they’ll have to move it to somewhere else but there isn’t many places that could host it at short notice. North America would be the most obvious candidate but with the States, Canada and Mexico hosting in 2026 that’s unlikely. Germany normally could do that but are hosting the Euros two years after. That probably leaves here, France, Japan or South Korea. Either one or a combination of those last two would get my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread