Words fail me. (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

What is happening to the BBC

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Was slightly worried I would get bombarded by abuse but thanks martcov for going first. Whilst I find the fact he thinks that repulsive, he can't control his brain to think in a specific way. He's registered it's not correct behaviour and seeked steps to correct it, by the sounds of things it's worked. Applaud him for his efforts, if a few others took his lead they wouldn't commit such vile acts.

clint van damme

Whatever your opinion of this fella, whether or not a paedophile can be cured or not is an interesting concept.

It appears to have worked for this individual but I have a fairly large amount of scepticism as to how many people with this type of sexual predilection would benefit from, or even seek out help.

It is definitely something worth reporting on though so people can make their minds up which is the BBCs purpose isn't it?

martcov

Whatever your opinion of this fella, whether or not a paedophile can be cured or not is an interesting concept.

It appears to have worked for this individual but I have a fairly large amount of scepticism as to how many people with this type of sexual predilection would benefit from, or even seek out help.

It is definitely something worth reporting on though so people can make their minds up which is the BBCs purpose isn't it?

If one person reads this and gets „cured“, then it is one less potential child abuse. Which is good. It seems a bit too easy, but if it works with some people, then we have saved some kids from abuse. The other remedies of hanging, castration or prison sentences are all after someone has been abused ... if we can get people to do something before they get the urge to offend, we have helped the victims and the potential predators..

Paxman II

How many 'cured' paedophiles have re-offended?
I'd like to think I could help humanity out and we can all become perfect again but sadly never going to happen.
One success (and won't be proven till the day he dies) does not mean we have a 'cure'. besides reading his story he never even offended? He just made a judgement that he was a paedophile?
The likelihood he would have offended we will maybe never know. That's all a bit different from actual paedophiles don't you think?
Those who deemed to be leading normal lives and offend must be punished. Whatever nest? - diminished responsibility?

martcov

I'd like to think I could help humanity out and we can all become perfect again but sadly never going to happen.
One success (and won't be proven till the day he dies) does not mean we have a 'cure'. besides reading his story he never even offended? He just made a judgement that he was a paedophile?
The likelihood he would have offended we will maybe never know. That's all a bit different from actual paedophiles don't you think?
Those who deemed to be leading normal lives and offend must be punished. Whatever nest? - diminished responsibility?

No-one has said actual paedophiles should not be punished. No-one has said that all can be cured. The guy is saying he was. He recognised where his feelings were taking him and got help. It worked in his case. It may work in other cases. Whatever happens, attempting to cure it before some child gets hurt can only be applauded. I don’t think it is different to ‚actual‘ paedophiles. He is a paedophile, but hasn’t hurt anyone - yet. You say it is a judgement, but I think he knows what he feels more than you do. I applaud the fact that he acknowledges his feelings and got help to avoid someone being hurt. You ask: ‚Whatever next?‘ He is not trying to get out of guilt for a crime. He is trying to prevent a crime ever happening, so your question is irrelevant.

Otis

I watched a programme about paedophiles and I do believe there was a section on 5 Live too and a number of paedophiles were spoken to and they hated the urges they had within them and desperately wanted help.

We need more paedophiles off our streets and out of society, so I welcome any device or project of intention that could allow this to happen.

There are also a lot of paedophiles that said they had the urges, but would never ever commit any illegal act of paedophilia. They only had the desire, but could not bring themselves to offend. I would say those sorts of people would definitely benefit from any help they could find.

I would be very interested to explore this programme myself, both for insight and to see what can be done.

Macca

If the agenda is genuine fair play, if the agenda is gradual normalisation then that's more disturbing

clint van damme

If the agenda is genuine fair play, if the agenda is gradual normalisation then that's more disturbing

and that's why the sentiment of the OP is wrong. The BBC should be reporting this because if the agenda is normalisation, (and I'm not saying it is), then I think we have a right to know what's going on or to at least try to form an informed opinion.

NorthernWisdom

The article seems to be more an oh my god, how repulsed he is by having thoughts of being attracted to children. If anything, it extends the definition of 'paedophile' beyond that probably thought of by most people, which would be a child abuser. The subject of the article never got that far, he was repulsed by the thought, wanted to live a 'normal' life, and got help to do so.

I'd say the only normalisation in that article is that of being attracted to adult women!

martcov

He says he hasn’t committed a crime and doesn’t want his desires. He has had help to „cure“ himself. There is no sign of „gradual normalisation“ in his actions. I say fair play to him and any others who recognise their desires as a problem and try to „cure“ themselves. No doubt not everyone is cured, but the more that try to cure themselves the better.

Captain Dart

That was my point, the headline was sensationalism gone wrong, I don't say do not try and help but I will always condemn paedophilia in the strongest terms and if I am honest I am very sceptical of claims of cures, a lot of evidence is needed it is not as if there isn't plenty of evidence of failures to reform offenders of various sorts although I've seen articles saying recidivism in paedophiles is relatively low compared to other crime.
Up to 2,000 serious offences committed by reoffending criminals every year

dancers lance

Perhaps the BBC could have got Harriett Harman to comment given her historical affiliations.

martcov

That was my point, the headline was sensationalism gone wrong, I don't say do not try and help but I will always condemn paedophilia in the strongest terms and if I am honest I am very sceptical of claims of cures, a lot of evidence is needed it is not as if there isn't plenty of evidence of failures to reform offenders of various sorts although I've seen articles saying recidivism in paedophiles is relatively low compared to other crime.
Up to 2,000 serious offences committed by reoffending criminals every year

In the case you mentioned no crime had been committed. The guy sought help to avoid a possible crime by trying to subdue his desires. A bit different to being forced to subdue urges because you got caught. The Telegraph mentioned the problem of reoffending, but didn’t mention how to solve the problem. The government spokesman said they are committed to rehabilitation, but again, didn’t say how do you stop people going back to crime. They weren’t talking specifically about child abuse.

The guy explained that he is a paedophile, but hadn’t committed a crime. There will be many such people. There seems to be a connection between being abused yourself as a child and becoming a paedophile. If some people in this situation read the article and contact the organisation mentioned, it may help prevent future abuse in the same way that alcoholics can surpress their addiction through joining Alcoholics Anonymous and save themselves and their families from alcohol related problems. I don’t see the point of knocking someone who isn’t a criminal and who is seeking, or has sought help, and is passing on information which could help other people in his situation, and their possible victims.

clint van damme

Perhaps the BBC could have got Harriett Harman to comment given her historical affiliations.

I claim to believe in free speech but this is an issue which really tests that claim. Should people like that, (PIE and their affiliates), be given a voice?

shmmeee

I claim to believe in free speech but this is an issue which really tests that claim. Should people like that, (PIE and their affiliates), be given a voice?

Would you rather not know their arguments? Sunlight is always the best disinfectant (disclaimer: I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice).

Ideas aren’t harmful. People are harmful.

mrtrench

I'd agree that they need help. Imagine yourself in that position; presumably they cannot help being attracted to children. I don't in any way condone what they do, as they must know that what they are doing is wrong. As I understand it, many convince themselves that the children want it. They could be helped by being trained so they understand the impact they have. Sure, some would still do it - the very bad selfish ones, but I refuse to believe that all paedophiles are fundamentally bad people; some will be good people that are tortured by bad desires and urges. Those are the ones that can be helped to desist.

shmmeee

There seems to be three kinds: ones that think the children want it and seem to be seriously disturbed, ones that are like any other rapist and abuser and do it for the power, and those that seem to be disgusted with their own minds and want help.

The first sort need their argument destroying for the nonsense (lol nonce sense) they are, if you search YouTube you’ll find these people spouting their shit, these are the sorts that would’ve been in PIE.

The second sort needs the full force of the law bringing down on them. They are sick fucks and if it wasn’t kids it’s be something else.

The third sort need help, whatever works.

mrtrench

I don't agree with the 'cured' word, which smacks of the attempts to cure homosexuals, which still goes on in some religious quarters. I think it's more about learning to control and appreciating that it's a selfish thing that harms others.

Otis

There seems to be three kinds: ones that think the children want it and seem to be seriously disturbed, ones that are like any other rapist and abuser and do it for the power, and those that seem to be disgusted with their own minds and want help.

The first sort need their argument destroying for the nonsense (lol nonce sense) they are, if you search YouTube you’ll find these people spouting their shit, these are the sorts that would’ve been in PIE.

The second sort needs the full force of the law bringing down on them. They are sick fucks and if it wasn’t kids it’s be something else.

The third sort need help, whatever works.
Exactly. I think people misinterpret the word 'paedophile.' From what I have read and researched on the subject, there are so many that are attracted to children but who do not in any way act upon any urges they have. They know the difference between right and wrong and legal and illegal acts and they are repulsed by the feelings they have and they constantly try and suppress those feelings.

I am sure anyone in that group would welcome any help they can get that would help control any urges they may have.

Nick

Administrator
I watched a documentary years ago, can't remember much about it but there was one lad who was about 18 who kept going to ask to be sectioned because he had thoughts about children and he hated it. I don't think he actually did anything to break the law but they didn't really know what to do with him because he was begging for help and to be locked away from society while he had the thoughts.

Can't remember what it was now, might have been a Louis Theroux.

The people who think kids want it or just want the thrill from it should be just locked up with the most violent prisoners to see what they think.

Otis

I watched a documentary years ago, can't remember much about it but there was one lad who was about 18 who kept going to ask to be sectioned because he had thoughts about children and he hated it. I don't think he actually did anything to break the law but they didn't really know what to do with him because he was begging for help and to be locked away from society while he had the thoughts.

Can't remember what it was now, might have been a Louis Theroux.

The people who think kids want it or just want the thrill from it should be just locked up with the most violent prisoners to see what they think.
Yeah, I think it was Louis Theroux.

Sky Blue Pete

In terms of reoffending rates they are very low

Malaka

Personally, I don't think you can change. It's like putting a gay person through therapy until they become heterosexual. I think that the priesthood is a good example of suppressing your sexual tendencies, eventually it explodes, hence the scandal that we have become aware of in recent years. We are sexual beings. Whilst I think that paedophilia is repulsive, I do not think that a paedophile can help what they are and I'm sure given a choice they would not chose to be.
I do not advocate extermination or castration. However, our children are precious and if a paedophile acts on their urges and abuses a child, they give up their right to live in society and should be removed from it permanently. I think that should be the case for any sexual predator or violent act against someone vulnerable

shmmeee

Personally, I don't think you can change. It's like putting a gay person through therapy until they become heterosexual. I think that the priesthood is a good example of suppressing your sexual tendencies, eventually it explodes, hence the scandal that we have become aware of in recent years. We are sexual beings. Whilst I think that paedophilia is repulsive, I do not think that a paedophile can help what they are and I'm sure given a choice they would not chose to be.
I do not advocate extermination or castration. However, our children are precious and if a paedophile acts on their urges and abuses a child, they give up their right to live in society and should be removed from it permanently. I think that should be the case for any sexual predator or violent act against someone vulnerable

Why only the vulnerable?

If you’re sexually or physically violent, you should be locked up until you can prove you can exist in society.

No excuses for it. I’ve never attacked anyone, it’s not hard.

Otis

I'm not advocating a cure, but surely there can be help to help control urges.

martcov

The difference being that in 70% of cases, the paedophile was originally a victim of child abuse. Gays are probably born as such as are left handed people... neither of which can be „cured“. People who have been victims may have a better chance of at least coming to terms with what happened to them and be able to control their desires as some alcoholics can when treated.

Malaka

The difference being that in 70% of cases, the paedophile was originally a victim of child abuse. Gays are probably born as such as are left handed people... neither of which can be „cured“. People who have been victims may have a better chance of at least coming to terms with what happened to them and be able to control their desires as some alcoholics can when treated.
I would like to see your evidence that in 70% of cases paedophiles were abused. That is a myth. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic, that is a dependency not a cognitive process.
Sorry Mart, I think sexuality is far bigger than an addiction and will always come to the fore.
Why only the vulnerable?

If you’re sexually or physically violent, you should be locked up until you can prove you can exist in society.

No excuses for it. I’ve never attacked anyone, it’s not hard.

You have convinced me

Paxman II

I don't think you are only born gay though Marc. I think it can develop in later life or be affected by an experience you went through or many other reasons. I have friends who are in their mid fifties with 30 years of marriage and grown up children. They left their respective 'heterosexual lives' behind and found each other through a love of sailing, and their relationship 'just happened' they explained. Both said they never had any gay tendencies previously.

Otis

I don't think you are only born gay though Marc. I think it can develop in later life or be affected by an experience you went through or many other reasons. I have friends who are in their mid fifties with 30 years of marriage and grown up children. They left their respective 'heterosexual lives' behind and found each other through a love of sailing, and their relationship 'just happened' they explained. Both said they never had any gay tendencies previously.
Still hope for me yet then!

mrtrench

I vaguely recall, but haven't researched, that homosexual men have a slightly different brain configuration to heterosexual men. However to date they have not found anything similar within the brains of homosexual women.

clint van damme

poor sods. If there's one advantage to being gay, it's not having a missus and kids!

Users who are viewing this thread