Wolves (1 Viewer)

coundonskyblue

Before this gets moved this is CCFC related.

My Wolves supporting mate has highlighted to me how our decline is very similar to what they went through. It also highlights that once a club is in decline it is very difficult to break the cycle.

In 1979 build a new stand that cost so much it nearly sent the club into extinction.

In 1982 the club was 'saved' by the Bhatti brothers, who despite promises of money never invested in the club.

In 1984 relegated from Div 1, then relegated into Div 3 in 1985, attendences dropped to just 4k.

Relegation then followed into Div 4 in 1986, only 2 stands in the ground were fit to be open, the club went in administration as the Bhatti brothers left. The council stepped in and bought the ground, selling some of the surrounding land to Asda, who in turn payed off the clubs outstanding debts.

They spent two successive seasons in div 4, before promotion in 1988, and another promotion back to Div 2 in 1989.

Wolves were lucky in the fact that once they dropped into the bottom division they managed to get Jack Hayward, a local businessman, in who actually knew what he was doing & managed to steady the clubs finances. Also they were lucky in the fact that Steve Bull come along for them scoring goals galore.

Had it not been for these two then its likely the club would have gone out of existance.

Last edited:

ccfc92

Before this gets moved this is CCFC related.

My Wolves supporting mate has highlighted to me how our decline is very similar to what they went through. It also highlights that once a club is in decline it is very difficult to break the cycle.

In 1979 build a new stand that cost so much it nearly sent the club into extinction.

In 1982 the club was 'saved' by the Bhatti brothers, who despite promises of money never invested in the club.

In 1984 relegated from Div 1, then relegated into Div 3 in 1985, attendences dropped to just 4k.

Relegation then followed into Div 4 in 1986, only 2 stands in the ground were fit to be open, the club went in administration as the Bhatti brothers left. The council stepped in and bought the ground, selling some of the surrounding land to Asda, who in turn payed off the clubs outstanding debts.

They spent two successive seasons in div 4, before promotion in 1988, and another promotion back to Div 2 in 1989.

Wolves were lucky in the fact that once they dropped into the bottom division they managed to get Jack Hayward, a local businessman, in who actually knew what he was doing & managed to steady the clubs finances. Also they were lucky in the fact that Steve Bull come along for them scoring goals galore.

Had it not been for these two then its likely the club would have gone out of existance.

Right... So?

ccfc92

Just highlighting the fact that other clubs have been through what we've been through, and no matter how bad things might seem you never know when something might turn up to reverse this decline.

okay, but the fairytale doesn't apply to CCFC. It only applies to teams like Southampton and Reading and Norwich :thinking about:

Nonleagueherewecome

We're looking for our very own Graham Turner (Tisdale IMO), not to mention a Jack Hayward-figure. But this lot won't let us go until they've made money out of us, so it could be a long fruitless struggle over the next few years!

I suppose other good comparisons from that era are Fulham, Wigan, Reading and Bolton, teams I grew up thinking we were "bigger" than. If you'd told me when I was at Uni at Reading a few years before our relegation that they'd be a bigger club than us soon, I'd have thought you were mad: their record transfer fee was 100k, their squad was made up of rejects, bargains and old heads, and the ground Elm Park was a rickety old dump, with the worst sloping pitch I've ever seen. The similarity with Wolves was a local businessman with a vision and passion for the club in Madjeski. We can but dream.

WillieStanley

okay, but the fairytale doesn't apply to CCFC. It only applies to teams like Southampton and Reading and Norwich :thinking about:

How do you know that? It applied to us in the 60s so why not now? We just don't know what is on its way!

Users who are viewing this thread