Wolves And Man U (1 Viewer)

steve cooper

The Wolves result might have been considered a freak result by some neutrals, but add yesterday's performance in, and there is no doubt now that this team can compete with the best with just a few carefully chosen signings.
We are much better playing against skillful players and can struggle against some of the EFL clogging teams, that needs addressing I think, to get promotion.
But surely, whatever happens in the summer regarding whether Vik is transferred or not, some decent investment in getting those extra players in is not that much of a gamble, given the potential rewards.

clint van damme

Given the two performances against the premier sides do we sign players who are more suited to playing better/premiership sides than some of the more rough and ready sides of the Championship?

Dasilva and Tavares performed way above anything they've produced in the Championship.

MVE and Sheaf who can be inconsistent were superb and looked like top flight players.

Wright and Simms on another level against the two EPL sides and I'm fairly sure Robins commented on how both of them were surprised by the lack of physicality of the Wolves centre backs compared to what they usually face.

Even Vik seemed to perform better against the Fulhams of the Championship.

Ccfcisparks

Given the two performances against the premier sides do we sign players who are more suited to playing better/premiership sides than some of the more rough and ready sides of the Championship?

Dasilva and Tavares performed way above anything they've produced in the Championship.

MVE and Sheaf who can be inconsistent were superb and looked like top flight players.

Wright and Simms on another level against the two EPL sides and I'm fairly sure Robins commented on how both of them were surprised by the lack of physicality of the Wolves centre backs compared to what they usually face.

I think Torp was the biggest example of this. He really struggled last couple of games physically but was on it for the entirety of the 60 minutes, won a load of headers and had a load in the tank at the end.

clint van damme

I think Torp was the biggest example of this. He really struggled last couple of games physically but was on it for the entirety of the 60 minutes, won a load of headers and had a load in the tank at the end.

Yeah, another good example.
Of course it could be raising the game for the occasion but I think it applies in the league against the better sides as well.

TomRad85

There is FFP, which by the way is a good thing imo, one of the few good things about modern football. King couldn't spunk his load even if he was worth multiple billions more. We'll spend what we bring in, hopefully Gyok and even Hamer move again and we probably have a bit left over from last summer.. should give us a decent transfer budget again.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ccfcisparks

Yeah, another good example.
Of course it could be raising the game for the occasion but I think it applies in the league against the better sides as well.
I think our style of play suits us when we play better teams as we tend to more often than not play a bit more attacking.
When we get at teams we really give them problems

messiahrobins

The Wolves result might have been considered a freak result by some neutrals, but add yesterday's performance in, and there is no doubt now that this team can compete with the best with just a few carefully chosen signings.
We are much better playing against skillful players and can struggle against some of the EFL clogging teams, that needs addressing I think, to get promotion.
But surely, whatever happens in the summer regarding whether Vik is transferred or not, some decent investment in getting those extra players in is not that much of a gamble, given the potential rewards.
Strangely yesterday puts pressure on Robins next season if we dont lose our best players again. No reason really if most of these players are kept why we dont win the league, no reason at all. The talent is there obviously.
WE can forgive the dreadful performances v Rotherham Cardiff, Plymouth this season and Birmingham as this is a brand new squad so inconsistency was always likely to happen, and actually we did well not to have a season like Stoke City (they will be strong next season), but next season there will be no excuses for such performances so there is now pressure. The Premier League is no longer a dream, it is an expectation really.

messiahrobins

We are building a squad that can compete in the premier League. Robins sees no value in being like Luton Burnley and Sheff Utd, and ask any of their fans and all will say this season was a shit show. Luton losing 5-1 at home to Brentford really isnt what you want to see as a fan in all honesty once in the premier league.
These players are clearly too good for the Championship. Now they have had a season of getting used to it, next season they will likely walk the league and i genuinely think by this time next year we will have won the league.
The big problem is holding onto the players. AS has always been the problem for Coventry City, can we keep our best players?

shmmeee

Strangely yesterday puts pressure on Robins next season if we dont lose our best players again. No reason really if most of these players are kept why we dont win the league, no reason at all. The talent is there obviously.
WE can forgive the dreadful performances v Rotherham Cardiff, Plymouth this season and Birmingham as this is a brand new squad so inconsistency was always likely to happen, and actually we did well not to have a season like Stoke City (they will be strong next season), but next season there will be no excuses for such performances so there is now pressure. The Premier League is no longer a dream, it is an expectation really.

Don’t be daft. There’s no pressure on Robins. Everything we’ve done we’ve done because of him. Would be ludicrous to sack him cos he didn’t exceed the ridiculous standards he’s set.

messiahrobins

Don’t be daft. There’s no pressure on Robins. Everything we’ve done we’ve done because of him. Would be ludicrous to sack him cos he didn’t exceed the ridiculous standards he’s set.
I dont mean he is in any danger of being sacked, dont be daft. I just meant there will be pressure from himself on himself and the players on themsleves now as they know what they are capable of. Game changer yesterday for the stature of the club and it might take a few weeks to get used to for everyone.
Robins has a job for life here for me.

steve cooper

There is an old saying, the league table doesn't lie. I don't like that saying much but there is some truth in it most of the time. You are always going to get results you don't expect, losses and wins, but over 46 games I will be very surprised if we don't do well next season. (injuries etc. excepted)

Users who are viewing this thread