Wilson/Marosi (1 Viewer)

Adge

We all saw last season what an upgrade Marosi was on Lee Burge at that level (L1).
If we manage to survive (which I still think we will just) is it a new goalkeeper/keepers required aswell as they also may not be up to this level (Championship) or is it a case of possible new defenders for a bit more protection in front of them?

shepardo01

New Keeper 100%
Robins has been looking and tried to get one in last window.
After assessing this season, defenders will also be on his recruitment list.

Last edited:

PVA

I said in pre season that I think we need a new keeper and stand by that now,

Marosi is mostly fine but he's dreadful on crosses, gets stuck on his line too often.

pastythegreat

I said in pre season that I think we need a new keeper and stand by that now,

Marosi is mostly fine but he's dreadful on crosses, gets stuck on his line too often.
He reminds me very much of Joe Murphy. Apart from he doesn't shout at the entire defence everytime we concede a goal.
If we go down I think both are good enough but if we stay up id possibly keep Wilson as No2 and replace Marosi with an experienced No1. I like Marosi, but loyalty wont keep us up unfortunately. Same applies to Max, Shipley and Hyam.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Close season we need a GK and two CBs before anything else. Build from the back.

Id sell both Marosi and Wilson and bring in a first teamer and have Bilsson on the bench, unless he’s not ready in which case bring in an U23 keeper.

cc84cov

Marosi got injured and it become clear Wilson commands his box better crosses etc but I do think Marosi needed a little more time

SeaSeeEffCee

Marosi has been written off after one (admittedly shit) performance while still receiving from a bad injury. I still think he's a good player and him being out has coincided with our form falling apart.
Our best run of form this season was while he was out? Although that was admittedly when we played a lot of shit teams and were playing for draws.

higgs

New Keeper 100%
Robins has been looking and tried to get one in last window.
After assessing this season, defenders will also be on his recruitment list.
Is that true I didn't realise he wanted a new keeper?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Magwitch

Marosi had a terrible injury although now playing again I doubt he has fully recovered physically or psychologically. Upto that injury I thought he was okay is he a long term answer not sure.

JulianDarbyFTW

We couldn't have played the football we did last season without Marosi. When we replaced Burge, it was like a lower league version of when Pep replaced Joe Hart because he couldn't play with his feet. But this season we can't play the same way because we simply don't dominate the ball, so one of Marosi's key strengths is negated, and his weaknesses are therefore more on show.

I still think Marosi is good enough for us, but wearing the mask must be a distraction, and the injury must weigh on his mind a little - it's only natural to want to protect yourself when you have an injury. When he's fully fit, I expect him to come back in, but for now Wilson is probably the better choice even if he isn't entirely competent himself.

The Philosopher

Marosi pre injury was good enough.

I rambled on previously that he needs a stint out on loan to get his confidence back (he won’t want to stick his face in front of a boot / ball like he used to do and that’s perfectly understandable). I

At the moment he’s not quite there and a top level emergency loan should come in.

I’m not sure about loan rules but one keeper has had his face rearranged and one had Covid so we might be able to get someone in.

Wilson is ok but a bit yampy IMO. Listen to his podcast.

shepardo01

We couldn't have played the football we did last season without Marosi. When we replaced Burge, it was like a lower league version of when Pep replaced Joe Hart because he couldn't play with his feet. But this season we can't play the same way because we simply don't dominate the ball, so one of Marosi's key strengths is negated, and his weaknesses are therefore more on show.

I still think Marosi is good enough for us, but wearing the mask must be a distraction, and the injury must weigh on his mind a little - it's only natural to want to protect yourself when you have an injury. When he's fully fit, I expect him to come back in, but for now Wilson is probably the better choice even if he isn't entirely competent himself.
Agree about last season, and he is an upgrade on burge. But just was not tested really - stats tell you that. People could see last season he had weaknesses, particularly with balls into the box.
More people have seen it this season as there have been more opportunities to.
Some of his general positioning is not great either which most won't spot - but those that need to have.
No room for sentiment here. Why "give him a chance" when we have Championship survival at stake.
Robins has been looking at keepers since the first window closed and certainly at least inquired about at least one that I know of this window just gone.
Sadly, he's not Championship standard.

South West Sky Blue

No issue with Marosi being a first teamer for a few more seasons (unless we’re offered half decent money). He’s a better option than Wilson. Cardiff wasn’t his best game, but still pretty reliable.

Defence is a big concern for me next year. Rose should come good. He’s not had a run of games for nearly a year. Dabo’s class. Beyond that, not sure the others are good enough for Championship football.

Hobo

Close season we need a GK and two CBs before anything else. Build from the back.

Id sell both Marosi and Wilson and bring in a first teamer and have Bilsson on the bench, unless he’s not ready in which case bring in an U23 keeper.

Agree with your observations until I read "sell"! They are not the sort of players you can sell- it is let their contract run out and let them move on. Fans are not on the page of how difficult it is to build a good squad.

Reactions: TTG

shmmeee

Agree with your observations until I read "sell"! They are not the sort of players you can sell- it is let their contract run out and let them move on. Fans are not on the page of how difficult it is to build a good squad.

I think a L1 team would take Marosi, he’s good at that level. Wilson might be a find yourself a club type deal.

rob9872

Ideally a Premiership loan next season. To name a few the lad at swansea is from Newcastle, Villa and West Brom both had Sam Johnstone performing miracles at this level, Sheff Utd had Henderson. Top keepers critical and miles from what we have although in fairness our expectations are lower and he compares with other low end Championship keepers.

SBAndy

Wilson is awful, Marosi made a bad mistake but he wouldn't have made it as easy as Wilson did for both Norwich goals the other night.
I do think perhaps we could do with getting somebody else for Marosi to be understudy to. Get rid of Wilson.

Absolutely astounding that you can pick Wilson out as being at fault for the goals. You’d be appalled as the attacking team if they didn’t score, so can’t see how Wilson gets a shred of blame. I’d keep him, proven to be competent as a #2 and likely on a third of what Marosi is on. Take shmmeee’s point on Billson and if it is felt he’s ready then absolutely satisfied for him to be #2 but no harm in retaining Wilson for a further year.

fernandopartridge

Absolutely astounding that you can pick Wilson out as being at fault for the goals. You’d be appalled as the attacking team if they didn’t score, so can’t see how Wilson gets a shred of blame. I’d keep him, proven to be competent as a #2 and likely on a third of what Marosi is on. Take shmmeee’s point on Billson and if it is felt he’s ready then absolutely satisfied for him to be #2 but no harm in retaining Wilson for a further year.
He's not "at fault" I'm just picking up that he's far too slow off his line, his body shape is poor.

johnwillomagic

Wilson comfortably ahead of Marosi currently - though not sure that says much about the strength of our goalkeeping currently mind!

Winny the Bish

If it came down to signing a new CB or a new GK I'd take the new CB. Marosi and Wilson are...competent for another season.

But a PL loan keeper would be lovely.

Great_Expectations

Not a direct criticism of the OP, as it’s all over the forum.

At this rate we won’t have a team left.

Players are underperforming, but that doesn’t mean in every case they aren’t good enough. It’s hard to play well in a team losing, lacking confidence and having to adapt to playing a different way to last year as the opposition is vastly superior.

Marosi is fine. We could get better, but there’s other positions I’d strengthen before the keeper. An improvement in other areas may also see us playing better football, and therefore using Marosi’s strengths again.

I would have thought Camp was superior to both on paper, but MR still preferred Wilson.

Grendel

Wilson is awful, Marosi made a bad mistake but he wouldn't have made it as easy as Wilson did for both Norwich goals the other night.
I do think perhaps we could do with getting somebody else for Marosi to be understudy to. Get rid of Wilson.

Correct there’s a reason at his age his never held down a first team place anywhere - he’s ridden his luck but he’s really poor

Sky Blue Harry H

Correct there’s a reason at his age his never held down a first team place anywhere - he’s ridden his luck but he’s really poor

Thought he got his angles wrong for Pukki's goal. Gave him a big target to hit.

cc84cov

Anyone else think Wilson looks better now he’s actually been picked ahead of Marosi ? Like he knows he’s deserving to be starting 👏🏻

Users who are viewing this thread