Wilkinson was involved too (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Sheepy

Shouldn't this be in the Board subforum?

It does seem to strengthen my skepticism in Hoffman's bit though, still seems like a bit of a billy-bullshitter from where I'm sat.

More worrying is that it mentions the take-over could result in Big Sam taking over...

Last edited:

Bennets Afro

Allardyce and wilkinson would of obviously resigned their positions within the companies if it looked like anything was going to happen. Didn't Hoffman state this as not being an issue?

Bertola

Apologies, it probably should be in the board sub-forum, i always forget about that.

Can someone move it please?

ashbyjan

Whilst Allardyces involvement would have been contrary to Article 86 about being involved with two clubs surely Wilkinsons problem would have simply been with the LMA and not against any FA rules. The whole ownership thing is a crock anyway as who knows ultimately who many club's owners are. In fact who owns City? Who are SISU's investors and thereby our owners - could be Alex Ferguson, Sam Allardyce and Colonel Gadaffi but no one except SISU knows and they aren't saying.

lordsummerisle

Whilst Allardyces involvement would have been contrary to Article 86 about being involved with two clubs surely Wilkinsons problem would have simply been with the LMA and not against any FA rules. The whole ownership thing is a crock anyway as who knows ultimately who many club's owners are. In fact who owns City? Who are SISU's investors and thereby our owners - could be Alex Ferguson, Sam Allardyce and Colonel Gadaffi but no one except SISU knows and they aren't saying.

He's a scary, evil excuse for a human being, don't think much of Gadaffi either.

wingy

Keep it here theres nothing wrong with this type of debate,all the yes /no stuff was the problem and that broke out on every post ,nothing wrong with serious debate,it all pertains to the club IMO;):whistle:

ashbyjan

Probably under FA rules Big Sam and Fergy would be ruled out but Gadaffi would pass the FA's "fit and proper" test

Astute

Allardyce and wilkinson would of obviously resigned their positions within the companies if it looked like anything was going to happen. Didn't Hoffman state this as not being an issue?

Anyone with their eyes open knows there are a lot of dodgy deals done in football. There is serious money involved. Did they both have cash involved in the deal? This also would not have been allowed. Why did they not want to let SISU know who was involved in the bid? Why was the bid withdrawn when they found out and why were no more bids put forward. Depending on what side of the fence you sit you could have many views to suit. I try my best to look at both sides. Looks like a dodgy bid to me. SISU want out. They might even need out. The economy is looking a little sh1te at the moment. They need cashflow. They will not walk away from their investment though.

Nonleagueherewecome

Pretty safe to say that "McLean and his expert opinion" is not worth reading.

wingy

interesting this surfaces six to seven weeks down the line,this info was out there at that point ,who does it suit?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director

It is ok saying they would have resigned but a couple of points

1) The hoffman consortium should have been aware and upfront about their involvement that would have short circuited any potential problem
2) People like that are directors usually because of reputation AND financial involvement - merely resigning as a director may well not have solved the problem
3) Ken Bruce said he attended the negotiations as an observer and wasnt going to be involved - personally I wouldnt want observers at any contract meetings like that

Personal opinion is that it was handled poorly by both sides. Cannot see it being resurrected so time to put it to bed

torchomatic

howard wilkinson? Jesus! Lucky escape. Imagine him or Sam as manager <shudder>.

I loosely know Hoffman and, whilst I understand the frustration and feel no pressure to convince any one otherwise on a football forum, I can clear up a few things...

Allardyce was part of one of three teams of potential investors. As manager of WHUFC, he will have nothing to do with the bid. Hoffman favoured the bid from Beijing backers. Gary Hoffman was Vice Chairman of Barclays Bank, Chairman of Barclaycard, was appointed by the government as Chairman of Northern Rock to bring them back as a crashed bank and is now in the process of setting up his own bank having done just that. A 'billy bullshitter'? No-one has much time for bankers, but the significance of those roles should not be lost on you. You can take your stance in whichever way pleases you, but he is a genuine Coventry fan who wanted to take over the Club. No change there, a deal could not be struck. The waiting game under SISU it is.

lordsummerisle

I loosely know Hoffman and, whilst I understand the frustration and feel no pressure to convince any one otherwise on a football forum, I can clear up a few things...

Allardyce was part of one of three teams of potential investors. As manager of WHUFC, he will have nothing to do with the bid. Hoffman favoured the bid from Beijing backers. Gary Hoffman was Vice Chairman of Barclays Bank, Chairman of Barclaycard, was appointed by the government as Chairman of Northern Rock to bring them back as a crashed bank and is now in the process of setting up his own bank having done just that. A 'billy bullshitter'? No-one has much time for bankers, but the significance of those roles should not be lost on you. You can take your stance in whichever way pleases you, but he is a genuine Coventry fan who wanted to take over the Club. No change there, a deal could not be struck. The waiting game under SISU it is.

i thought that we'd cleared up some of the Hoffman Myths.

He was made Vice-Chairman of Barclays Bank(a non job in charge of equality and diversity), after being removed from the Barclaycard position due to racking up year on year huge losses and liabilities at a time when a credit card company shouldn'y have been able to fail to make huge profits unless run by a total idiot.

He took over at Northern Rock when most of the hard work had been done, but still left a year early(not taking up his bonus for aome reason..), and it is still a large liability to the taxpayer.

Of course, knowing Hoffman, loosely though it is, you'd already know this.

I feel no need to rise to this bait, I would Google him and check your timescales. He is a mate of my Dad's; I'm not his cheerleader, but I believe you have the Barclays adventures the wrong way round and are not quite on the money with your Northern Rock assertions. What I wrote is what I was led to understand, however you sound like you are very much in the know so I am willing to learn.

'i thought that we'd cleared up some of the Hoffman Myths.

He was made Vice-Chairman of Barclays Bank(a non job in charge of equality and diversity), after being removed from the Barclaycard position due to racking up year on year huge losses and liabilities at a time when a credit card company shouldn'y have been able to fail to make huge profits unless run by a total idiot.

He took over at Northern Rock when most of the hard work had been done, but still left a year early(not taking up his bonus for aome reason..), and it is still a large liability to the taxpayer.

Of course, knowing Hoffman, loosely though it is, you'd already know this.'

I stand corrected, his role at Barclays followed his role at Barclaycard. My mistake. I specify that I loosely know him as he is a mate of my Dad and to claim I 'know' him would be a bit strong. I'm not going into details as this is a football forum and I am an adult... I thought it would seem like some ridiculous name dropping and it is not my place to do so. You came across a little as if you have an axe to grind (maybe I seemed to be taking the opposite stance, didn't mean to provoke a diatribe)... Hoffman's business CV reads to me as impressive, but I work in health so will bow to your knowledge and the fact he must be a 'total idiot' after all!

lordsummerisle

'i thought that we'd cleared up some of the Hoffman Myths.

Of course, knowing Hoffman, loosely though it is, you'd already know this.'

I stand corrected, his role at Barclays followed his role at Barclaycard. My mistake. I specify that I loosely know him as he is a mate of my Dad and to claim I 'know' him would be a bit strong. I'm not going into details as this is a football forum and I am an adult... I thought it would seem like some ridiculous name dropping and it is not my place to do so. You came across a little as if you have an axe to grind (maybe I seemed to be taking the opposite stance, didn't mean to provoke a diatribe)... Hoffman's business CV reads to me as impressive, but I work in health so will bow to your knowledge and the fact he must be a 'total idiot' after all!

Not an axe to grind as such, just an awful lot of people seem to keep spouting the same "facts" about Hoffman, without doing any semblence of research, and hardly need to go into forensic detail to see it's not all as rosy as it seems.

The same happened with SISU of course, and bizarrely the biggest cheerleaders for them are generally the most virulent anti-Sisu posters and Hoffman cheerleaders now.

They should maybe take the old Chinese proverb to heart.

"Fool me once, shame on you"

"Fool me twice, shame on me"

I never dressed what I said up as facts per se, someone called him a billy bullshitter and I was trying to point out his CV would seem to suggest otherwise. You concede I got his roles right, even if you consider that I am incorrect as to his level of success at each! I've got plenty of time for him, so I would like him to take over. I know that he is a genuine Coventry fan who can talk at length about the team he supports. The fact that he has held several high profile roles in the financial world elevates him to 'preferable to SISU' in my eyes (just an opinion). I think looking back objectively on SISU's tenure, I would probably consider a business conglomerate comprised of Kevin Thornton and The President of The Bank of Nigeria to be a viable alternative... As I say, I work in health, so am not clued up on business shenanigans! Arsenal Football Club offered Hoffman the role of Chief Executive on £2m / year. With such offers coming, the high profile posts he has held, the fact he is from Coventry... I would favour him and the team of investors he was working with over SISU. In fact, there is no decision to be made there. I wouldn't consider myself vehemently 'SISU out' as such... I am far more concerned with what happens on the pitch and always will be (although I know the two are intrinsically related). I've got no gripe whatsoever with being made to look foolish by wanting someone I loosely (yep, still sticking with that quote) know to take over the Club I support... I just want what is best for the success of our football club and I do not believe that to be SISU. If I'm wrong, let the proverbial Chinese come and shame me.

Last edited:
Not an axe to grind as such, just an awful lot of people seem to keep spouting the same "facts" about Hoffman, without doing any semblence of research, and hardly need to go into forensic detail to see it's not all as rosy as it seems.

The same happened with SISU of course, and bizarrely the biggest cheerleaders for them are generally the most virulent anti-Sisu posters and Hoffman cheerleaders now.

They should maybe take the old Chinese proverb to heart.

"Fool me once, shame on you"

"Fool me twice, shame on me"

My my you're a bitter one aren't you?

I think most liked the way the club was being run up until the goalposts were moved by the powers that be. I believe that point has been made a thousand times over ad nausea but some choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit in with their know-it-all routine!

Regarding Hoffman's bid, you're choosing to ignore a couple of key ingredients:

One, that he's a City fan, who resigned on the realisation that SISU were no longer going to act in best interests of the club he supports.

Two, that he has a great deal of credibility and a great business reputation to protect; and I'm sorry, but you don't get handed the roles he's had in the banking industry if you're a 'total idiot'.

Ok so none of us know what really happened at the negotiating stage (not even you oh lord), but for the above reasons I'd rather have this man running the show than the clowns we currently have who have already proven that they haven't a clue how to run a football club.

Or shall we just watch our club rot in the mire, safe in the knowledge that in our own minds we know better than everyone else and saw it coming a mile off?

Last edited:

Skybluetracy

My dad worked with him at Barclaycard and Barclays too. He says nearly everyone thought he was the best person they ever worked for. The Lord is he says just wrong. He recruited his replacement at Bqrclaycard and then that person reported to him for a couple of years. As well as he Chief running Retail and the business bank. So a prmotion. Not removed. He was then made Vice Chairman. I looked
up his CV and it is amazing.
He is a sky blue fan who has been home and away fir many years. Back in the away end because he was banne by the SISU shockers from the Boardroom.
He must have annoyed the Lord at some point!

Maybe the lord was bullied by him at school or something?
He is a sky blue fan who has gone to nearly every game in the last 30 odd years. In the away end g

lordsummerisle

My dad worked with him at Barclaycard and Barclays too. He says nearly everyone thought he was the best person they ever worked for. The Lord is he says just wrong. He recruited his replacement at Bqrclaycard and then that person reported to him for a couple of years. As well as he Chief running Retail and the business bank. So a prmotion. Not removed. He was then made Vice Chairman. I looked
up his CV and it is amazing.
He is a sky blue fan who has been home and away fir many years. Back in the away end because he was banne by the SISU shockers from the Boardroom.
He must have annoyed the Lord at some point!

Maybe the lord was bullied by him at school or something?
He is a sky blue fan who has gone to nearly every game in the last 30 odd years. In the away end g

He was removed from Barclaycard and given the non-job of Vice-Chairman, try reading a bit about him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jan/17/northern-rock-seeks-potential-buyers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/feb/22/business.creditcards

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...od-for-Gary-Hoffman-but-expensive-for-us.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ary-Hoffman-quits-taxpayers-paying-April.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/feb/22/business.creditcards

5 minutes that took, but seeing as you're too lazy to look it up yourself, thought I'd do it for you.

Going to put all my backing behind Jon Gaunt and the Mad Hatters to take over, as they're Cov fans, and so must be ideal.

lordsummerisle

My my you're a bitter one aren't you?

I think most liked the way the club was being run up until the goalposts were moved by the powers that be. I believe that point has been made a thousand times over ad nausea but some choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit in with their know-it-all routine!

Regarding Hoffman's bid, you're choosing to ignore a couple of key ingredients:

One, that he's a City fan, who resigned on the realisation that SISU were no longer going to act in best interests of the club he supports.

Two, that he has a great deal of credibility and a great business reputation to protect; and I'm sorry, but you don't get handed the roles he's had in the banking industry if you're a 'total idiot'.

Ok so none of us know what really happened at the negotiating stage (not even you oh lord), but for the above reasons I'd rather have this man running the show than the clowns we currently have who have already proven that they haven't a clue how to run a football club.

Or shall we just watch our club rot in the mire, safe in the knowledge that in our own minds we know better than everyone else and saw it coming a mile off?

Do you ever read the Financial news?

Bankers and Hedge Funds, all care about nothing but themselves, certainly seems like Hoffman wasn't willing to put his own money into the "consortium".

Maybe he was going to be in charge of diversity?

Do you ever read the Financial news?

Bankers and Hedge Funds, all care about nothing but themselves, certainly seems like Hoffman wasn't willing to put his own money into the "consortium".

Maybe he was going to be in charge of diversity?

All speculation though isn't it?

At least you concede that you'd rather have him at the helm than the SISU puppets.

Skybluetracy

Lord. Why don't you try and talk to the Hoff? I am told he will always give straight answers. My dad could arrange for you to talk? Then judge him. Bankers are bad but he seems ok!

Users who are viewing this thread