Why We Love Football ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I was asked recently by a non football fan why I liked the Beautiful Game ? He didn't understand why me and a few others in the pub not only went to games year after year,but watched it in the pub and constantly talked about it.People who have no interest in the game just don't understand our passion do they ? I just said I grew up going to matches as a kid,played it throughout my school days and beyond,and just enjoy following my club even though they have put me through it over the years. He still didn't get it,but why do you love football ?

Terry Gibson's perm

I am pretty much the same as you but I love our club but only like football in general and don't watch as many games as I used to and detest international football.

Were they rugby fans you were talking to:thinking about:

bringbackrattles

I am pretty much the same as you but I love our club but only like football in general and don't watch as many games as I used to and detest international football.

Were they rugby fans you were talking to:thinking about:
How did you guess ? Not Wasps fans though but one chap is a big Rugger fan,but then again so am I. I've played the game too, but he just wouldn't have it when I said the round ball is the best sport going by far to watch.

Otis

I was asked recently by a non football fan why I liked the Beautiful Game ? He didn't understand why me and a few others in the pub not only went to games year after year,but watched it in the pub and constantly talked about it.People who have no interest in the game just don't understand our passion do they ? I just said I grew up going to matches as a kid,played it throughout my school days and beyond,and just enjoy following my club even though they have put me through it over the years. He still didn't get it,but why do you love football ?
Like you, it formed an enormous part of my life. It's the national game, it's what we played as kids and just about every town or city has a team and an awful lot of us were taken up to games as a kid by dad's and uncles and older brothers etc.

If someone introduced football for the first ever time to me now I think I would loathe it.

bringbackrattles

Like you, it formed an enormous part of my life. It's the national game, it's what we played as kids and just about every town or city has a team and an awful lot of us were taken up to games as a kid by dad's and uncles and older brothers etc.

If someone introduced football for the first ever time to me now I think I would loathe it.
I dislike the money side of the game and the way fans are ripped off,but for all it's faults I still love it. Is that why you'd loathe it now ?

Terry Gibson's perm

I dislike the money side of the game and the way fans are ripped off,but for all it's faults I still love it. Is that why you'd loathe it now ?

For me it is now a business more than a sport and to many people making a good living on the back of it administrators earning vast fortunes that they would never earn in real life jobs it seems to me most people at clubs think they should be paid like the players, years ago nobody gave a shit who the ceo of your club was now it seems to be crucial.

The game has been ruined by Blatter and his cronies and agents as well.

Gazolba

Compared to other sports, I like it because of the almost constant action and because anything can happen at any moment. There are also so many different aspects of the game that require great physical skills. Like controlling the ball, passing, shooting, heading, running, anticipating. Even the goal-keeper needs so many different skills, shot-stooping, cross-collecting, punching the ball, distribution, communication with defenders. Almost every other team sport has something about it that I just think is stupid. The worst thing about football currently is diving and feigning injury. It truly is ruining the game and should be much more harshly punished.

Otis

Well, partly, but also .....

The cheating

The feigning injury

The shirt pulling

The time wasting

The diving

The cajoling of the officials

The taking one for the team and 'good' fouls

The professional fouls

The taking the ball into the corners

Players not having the loyalty to teams that used to be prevalent

The Premier League or bust syndrome

Stealing yards at free kicks and for throw ins.

Preventing free kicks from being taken.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Other sports sort stuff out, look at the rules, make adjustments etc. American Football does it, as does Rugby Union and cricket.

Football always seems to be dragging it's heels over everything.

Could be sorted out so, so easily.

A team of post match assessors. Any diving, 3 match ban. Any deliberate holding or shirt pulling in the box, 3 match ban. The professional foul (pulling someone back, blocking them off etc. to take one for the team) 3 match ban.

Anyone calling for a yellow card, they get a yellow card.

Only captains allowed to talk to referees.

They could sort out all the diving, feigning, shirt pulling within weeks if they clamped down.

I hate what the game has become these days. It used to be the beautiful game, but sadly it tis no more.

Johnnythespider

Well, partly, but also .....

The cheating

The feigning injury

The shirt pulling

The time wasting

The diving

The cajoling of the officials

The taking one for the team and 'good' fouls

The professional fouls

The taking the ball into the corners

Players not having the loyalty to teams that used to be prevalent

The Premier League or bust syndrome

Stealing yards at free kicks and for throw ins.

Preventing free kicks from being taken.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Other sports sort stuff out, look at the rules, make adjustments etc. American Football does it, as does Rugby Union and cricket.

Football always seems to be dragging it's heels over everything.

A team of post match assessors. Any diving, 3 match ban. Any deliberate holding or shirt pulling in the box, 3 match ban. The professional foul (pulling someone back, blocking them off etc. to take one for the team) 3 match ban.

They could sort out all the diving, feigning, shirt pulling within weeks if they clamped down.

I hate what the game has become these days. It used to be the beautiful game, but sadly it tis no more.
All of this is true but the antidote to it for me is getting up on a Sunday morning and going to watch my lad play, his team are bottom of their league and have not won a game all season, they have taken some right pastings but two weeks ago they played the top of the table side, they were 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go and came back to get a draw and claim the first point of the season. It was brilliant to see, that's why it is still the beautiful game to me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

wingy

All of this is true but the antidote to it for me is getting up on a Sunday morning and going to watch my lad play, his team are bottom of their league and have not won a game all season, they have taken some right pastings but two weeks ago they played the top of the table side, they were 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go and came back to get a draw and claim the first point of the season. It was brilliant to see, that's why it is still the beautiful game to me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yeah that is brill.
Involves a personal element which is raw and rewarding.
Watching Liverpool do UTD tonight yehee!!
Liverpool won a freekick 1"yard " outside UTD's box, the wall was level with the penalty spot.
How can the officiating be so weak?

Otis

Officials are intimidated and pressurised. That sure doesn't help any.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Yeah, who would be a ref in modern football, you'd get dogs abuse for any decision you make.

I think the problem with implementing new rules is that football is such a global game, you have to ensure that every country is putting the same rules in place, this would be hard enough without a corrupt governing body. Rugby is much less popular so would be 15 (?) major nations to implement, not that hard at all.

chiefdave

I remember watching some American sports show during the last World Cup and they were saying the diving etc had a big impact on the sport over there as viewers just couldn't get their head round it. I watch a lot of ice hockey and in that getting a reputation for being a diver is a terrible thing for a player to have.

Totally agree. Its so easy to fix. Start at the top, all PL games are televised. Have them assessed afterwards and start giving out bans. You might have a few weeks of chaos but it would pretty quickly stop.

tommydazzle

Agree with all the negative stuff re cheating players etc and the frustration that it could be sorted but isn't. But I suppose one of the reasons we love football is the sheer explosive emotion when we've scored. Think about it, where else in life can you let go to that extent - whooping, screaming, leaping up and down and really feel the moment? Because goals are relatively rare it makes the moments even more precious. It's strange to think that if you don't follow football that you would never experience this and plenty don't. Other supreme moments of joy/passion don't somehow cause us to quite lose it like that. Hard to explain this to yourself let alone someone who isn't a fan.

Otis

Agree with all the negative stuff re cheating players etc and the frustration that it could be sorted but isn't. But I suppose one of the reasons we love football is the sheer explosive emotion when we've scored. Think about it, where else in life can you let go to that extent - whooping, screaming, leaping up and down and really feel the moment?

After sex?

Nick

Administrator
Agree with all the negative stuff re cheating players etc and the frustration that it could be sorted but isn't. But I suppose one of the reasons we love football is the sheer explosive emotion when we've scored. Think about it, where else in life can you let go to that extent - whooping, screaming, leaping up and down and really feel the moment?

I don't think I've done that in any other circumstance.

bringbackrattles

Agree with all the negative stuff re cheating players etc and the frustration that it could be sorted but isn't. But I suppose one of the reasons we love football is the sheer explosive emotion when we've scored. Think about it, where else in life can you let go to that extent - whooping, screaming, leaping up and down and really feel the moment? Because goals are relatively rare it makes the moments even more precious. It's strange to think that if you don't follow football that you would never experience this and plenty don't. Other supreme moments of joy/passion don't somehow cause us to quite lose it like that. Hard to explain this to yourself let alone someone who isn't a fan.
I agree, but when the neighbour from Hell finally got evicted a month ago,we all did a jig of delight in the street,with lots of whooping and screaming in sheer joy !

Users who are viewing this thread