Who's been are best and worst manager since relegated??? (1 Viewer)

ccfc2011

Who's been are best and worst manager since we were relegated????

torchomatic

Micky Adams and Iain Dowie.

TheHellion

I think the best is Eric Black (Adams comes close on the basis of the 05/06 season and "Fortress Ricoh")

The worst by a mile is Peter Reid. I still cringe at the quality of the football on offer under that <insert expletive here>.

Walking Bird

Eric Black best.
Frankie Bunn & the bloke who coached rugby league worst.

shmmeee

Statistically I think it's black then Dowie but could be wrong for me as I missed the black era due to being at uni it's Dowie. Man Utd away is by far my best City memory in the last decade.

Worst again statistically I think is Thorn then Coleman. But for me its Coleman purely for how dull he football was an how much money he spent.

This reiterates how I think the single biggest mistake made by any chairman was the replacing of Dowie with Coleman by Ranson. Who knows where we'd be if he'd kept with him.

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Id like t osay Black, but he wasnt in long enough to be considered IMO.

I quite liked Dowie, but as our best, id probably say Nilsson. I think we got of him a bit too early, as it was working fine before Jim Smith got involved. Had we got rid of him and kept Roland, things might have been different.

Worst has to be between Reid (especially the decision to hire the fool in the first place), or a close second would have to be McAllister. As much as a good player he was, he just couldnt cut it as a manager (later proved this at Leeds, and as a coach at Villa, where players were quite vocal in expressing their disatisfaction about him. Although the reasons for him leaving us were quite tragic, I dont think he would have stayed in a job much longer, had he not walked when he did.

Grendel

Neilson and Thorn (in that order)

shy_tall_knight

roland top CC the worst had a good squad to work with, Dowie the most disappointing, Reid was poor gambled on tim Sherwood but squad was fairly poor

shmmeee

OK, gone away to Wiki to get some stats to inform this discussion. Am missing info for Black, Nilsson and McAllister, so if anyone can give me accurate figures I'd really appreciate it.

Manager Games Won Drew Lost Win% Draw% Lose%
Thorn 28 5 11 12 17.86 39.28 42.85
Boothroyd 39 12 8 19 30.77 20.51 48.72
Coleman 117 34 37 46 29.06 31.62 39.31
Dowie 49 20 8 21 40.82 16.33 42.86
Adams 99 33 26 40 33.33 26.26 40.4
Reid 31 10 8 13 32.26 25.81 41.94

Can't get it formatted properly, will try again later.

shmmeee

Dowie 40% win ratio, by far the best we've had, not sure how that's disappointing.

shy_tall_knight

I expected Dowie to take us to the play offs, he was given funds and built a huge squad and filled it with rubbish de Zoo, Cairo, Borrowdale, julian gray, michael hughes, Dimi Mickey adams had left a reasonable squad some better purchases would have seen us challenge forthe paly offs. Like a lot of our managers started well but faded badly we were heading for a relegation scrap when he was sackewd.

wingy

OK, gone away to Wiki to get some stats to inform this discussion. Am missing info for Black, Nilsson and McAllister, so if anyone can give me accurate figures I'd really appreciate it.

Manager Games Won Drew Lost Win% Draw% Lose%
Thorn 28 5 11 12 17.86 39.28 42.85
Boothroyd 39 12 8 19 30.77 20.51 48.72
Coleman 117 34 37 46 29.06 31.62 39.31
Dowie 49 20 8 21 40.82 16.33 42.86
Adams 99 33 26 40 33.33 26.26 40.4
Reid 31 10 8 13 32.26 25.81 41.94

Can't get it formatted properly, will try again later.

If memory serves me Nillson 52% ----black 50% both hands down winners although over the short term.

sky_blue_up_north

Reid was the worst by far, Micky Adams the best based on results and finishing 8th in the league

Macca

Best manager Andy Thorn (given what he has to work with, lack of investment, poor referees, series of unlucky losses etc etc etc etc)

coop

Peter Reid the worst and I liked Dowie ,we where a really fit team then and won more games with ten minutes to go than lose is the last ten like now.

skybluesteve76

Id like t osay Black, but he wasnt in long enough to be considered IMO.

I quite liked Dowie, but as our best, id probably say Nilsson. I think we got of him a bit too early, as it was working fine before Jim Smith got involved. Had we got rid of him and kept Roland, things might have been different.

Worst has to be between Reid (especially the decision to hire the fool in the first place), or a close second would have to be McAllister. As much as a good player he was, he just couldnt cut it as a manager (later proved this at Leeds, and as a coach at Villa, where players were quite vocal in expressing their disatisfaction about him. Although the reasons for him leaving us were quite tragic, I dont think he would have stayed in a job much longer, had he not walked when he did.

Dud you not see how we played under black?

I'mARealWizard

The issue with Dowie was that we seemed to be endlessly drawing matches.

It became so dull and unispiring to come away each week with a draw.

Lord_Nampil

Best manager by far was Adams being sacked for being 16th in the league crazy!!!!

Two managers never really got a chance Nillson and Black,

and Three have been Awful full stop, Coleman, Thorn and Reid!

shmmeee

The issue with Dowie was that we seemed to be endlessly drawing matches.

It became so dull and unispiring to come away each week with a draw.

What??? We drew less matches under Dowie than any manager weve ever had. It was boom and bust.

Seriously check the stats!

And whoever said 50% for Black and Nilsson is wrong we've never had a manager with a win ratio that high. I'll work it out later. You're right that the top 3 are Black Dowie and Nilsson though.

Delboycov

I think if the powers that be hadn't brought in Jim Smith to stick his fat nose in and bring in those season ruining signings of Trollope and Carbonare then Nilsson would've been the best manager and definitely could've taken us back up. He didn't so it's got to be Black best...McAllister worst.

shmmeee

Worked it out.

Black
P20 W9 D3 L8 W45% D15% L40%

Nilsson
P42 W19 D5 L18 W45.24% D11.9% L42.86%

You have to remember that Black only got 20 games and Nilsson had easily the best squad we've ever had in this league. Though it's right that the second half (after Smith came in) was dreadful an without it his record was much better.

Nonleagueherewecome

Best manager Andy Thorn (given what he has to work with, lack of investment, poor referees, series of unlucky losses etc etc etc etc)

Sarcastic to the end Macca, but if this was asked last season, you genuinely would have had a fair few saying Thorn after Black, including myself. Not many will be prepared to admit that now, though.

Users who are viewing this thread