Who says women's football isn't exciting! (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's very similar to one I scored against Whitley Juniors around 1993/94. At least mine was on the floor and easier to control though. Bloody keeper ran out to boot it and fell over his own feet and it trickled into the corner of the net.

Grendel

Dave Jones vs Stoke City anyone?

Gazolba

I watch women's football every chance I get. I enjoy it as much as the men's game, sometimes more.
BBC wouldn't let me watch that clip by the way.
Here's a watchable version:

Otis

The one main difference for me is the quality of the keepers. They seem a lot poorer in the women's game.

Otherwise I think it is good and I do watch the England games when they're on TV.

Grendel

The one main difference for me is the quality of the keepers. They seem a lot poorer in the women's game.

Otherwise I think it is good and I do watch the England games when they're on TV.

It’s pub level football at best - if people want to watch it fine (though the crowd on the clip suggests they don’t) but it’s low quality.

Otis

I think it's better than pub level.

Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I usually quite enjoy it. The keeping though is pretty universally poor.

Gazolba

It’s pub level football at best - if people want to watch it fine (though the crowd on the clip suggests they don’t) but it’s low quality.
It's only low-quality when compared to the men's game.
You could say the same thing about women's tennis, athletics or any sport involving strength and speed.
The quality of women's football is now very, very good and has been for the past 20 years.
And it's getting better and more competetive as more nations emerge with strong teams.
What you are saying about 'pub team quality' hasn't been true for about 50 years.

Grendel

It's only low-quality when compared to the men's game.
You could say the same thing about women's tennis, athletics or any sport involving strength and speed.
The quality of women's football is now very, very good and has been for the past 20 years.
And it's getting better and more competetive as more nations emerge with strong teams.
What you are saying about 'pub team quality' hasn't been true for about 50 years.

Women’s tennis and athletics are equal status in interest and prize money to their male counterparts. Football is nowhere near at the same level. People don’t watch it in any numbers at all.

Moff

No its better than that, but just not as fast as the men's game, and still not as technical.

I have seen Liverpool and Tottenham Ladies play Leicester Women's this season (had to as my daughter is part of the Leicester junior set up...I wouldn't watch them otherwise)
Liverpool, who had Chris Kirkland on the coaching staff, were excellent ball players and clinical. They scored six excellent goals and their passing was sharp and they were technically very good.
Spurs won 3-0 at Leicester and were again a good ball playing team. They scored two fantastic lobs over the keeper, which I know if it had been in a men's league game, fans would have been raving about.

I know it isn't like the men's game, but it is improving, and is far better than pub level.

Otis

No its better than that, but just not as fast as the men's game, and still not as technical.

I have seen Liverpool and Tottenham Ladies play Leicester Women's this season (had to as my daughter is part of the Leicester junior set up...I wouldn't watch them otherwise)
Liverpool, who had Chris Kirkland on the coaching staff, were excellent ball players and clinical. They scored six excellent goals and their passing was sharp and they were technically very good.
Spurs won 3-0 at Leicester and were again a good ball playing team. They scored two fantastic lobs over the keeper, which I know if it had been in a men's league game, fans would have been raving about.

I know it isn't like the men's game, but it is improving, and is far better than pub level.
Of course it is. Grendel just likes being contentious.

jordan210

I think it's better than pub level.

Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I usually quite enjoy it. The keeping though is pretty universally poor.

When I was at Uni the girls team always struggled to find keepers. Big games such as varsity they used to get random people from other sports teams to go in goal. As lack of players or anyone wanting to play in goal.

Covstu

That goal was a shocker, did she really need to punt it back that far in the first place?!! Its like Liverpool in the 80's!!

As for Women's football, don't watch it but to be honest I wouldn't know where to start watching it in the first place?! If you compare it to the mens game then of course it isn't going to be as 'good' but that's obvious. Its like Man Utd fans who try and start an argument by comparing Utd to Coventry, it isn't a comparison (although I would fancy our chances at the moment!). I think its been positive that there has been more of an interest but it will never get to the stature of the mens game

Gazolba

Users who are viewing this thread