Who really owns Coventry City Football Club? (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Labovitch said in his interview on CWR last night, "the problem with Bing they never revealed who their investors are." A strange accusation because SISU haven't either. SISU and Arvo Master fund are hedge funds for anonymous investors. The later based in the Caymen Islands so no accounts business profile available in the UK.

Technically Otium own us run by Fisher and Labovitch. Yet both default to our owners and it seems clear Joy calls the shots. I am not sure that fits FL rules, technically Joy doesn't have to be fit and proper.

For example if Otium had failed to post accounts, Fisher and Labovitch would have been accountable, not Joy. Joy technically isn't responsible for anything that happens. How nice to be an owner without responsibility, it's not even her money.

Also funding seems to have moved away from SISU to Arvo Master Fund who now seem to hold the biggest stake. Most people think Joy is connected to them, but there is no documented proof I have seen.

So who is Arvo, is Joy a shepherd, a puppet or an owner?

Where does their money or investments come from. There is no evidence whether it is from hard earned enterprise, crime, drugs or terrorism? We know there is an incentive around tax incentive, some would view it as tax evasion. There are also genuine world wide concerns around hedge funds being used to launder money.

So the source of our funds gives me great concerns, it always has done to a degree. But with the bizarre business model these 'financial experts' run and lack of transparency with their accounting systems I.e our debt varies widely depending on who and which day you speak to them. Also with Otium officially taking over and certain accounts not now being required to be published due to liquidation, we seem to have conveniently lost some continuity around the acquired debt?

To me we seem to be funded (owned) by Arvo and there is no transparency to who they are.

Last edited:

RFC

Labovitch said in his interview on CWR last night, "the problem with Bing they never revealed who their investors are." A strange accusation because SISU haven't either. SISU and Arvo Master fund are hedge funds for anonymous investors. The later based in the Caymen Islands so no accounts business profile available in the UK.

Technically Otium own us run by Fisher and Labovitch. Yet both default to our owners and it seems clear Joy calls the shots. I am not sure that fits FL rules, technically Joy doesn't have to be fit and proper.

For example if Otium had failed to post accounts, Fisher and Labovitch would have been accountable, not Joy. Joy technically isn't responsible for anything that happens. How nice to be an owner without responsibility, it's not even her money.

Also funding seems to have moved away from SISU to Arvo Master Fund who now seem to hold the biggest stake. Most people think Joy is connected to them, but there is no documented proof I have seen.

So who is Arvo, is Joy a shepherd, a puppet or an owner?

Where does their money or investments come from. There is no evidence whether it is from hard earned enterprise, crime, drugs or terrorism? We know there is an incentive around tax incentive, some would view it as tax evasion. There are also genuine world wide concerns around hedge funds being used to launder money.

So the source of our funds gives me great concerns, it always has done to a degree. But with the bizarre business model these 'financial experts' run and lack of transparency with their accounting systems I.e our debt varies widely depending on who and which day you speak to them. Also with Otium officially taking over and certain accounts not now being required to be published due to liquidation, we seem to have conveniently lost some continuity around the acquired debt?

To me we seem to be funded (owned) by Arvo and there is no transparency to who they are.

Owners are owners, doesn't really matter where the investment comes from IMHO

John_Silletts_Nose

The owners have been checked by the football league and there were assurances of sufficient funding.

It is hypocritical for SISU to complain about others not revealing their funding yet do not say who provides their funding.

I think that the majority of the funding comes from the University of Pennsylvania Endowment Fund and the Huntsman family, both of whom have plenty of money.

lordsummerisle

It does matter to people who have at least some morals. I suspect you do not belong to this group of people.

Football fans, as a whole, don't have any morals, as long as the team is doing well and can spend loads of money on players then the owners could be Pol Pot and most, sadly, wouldn't give a shit.

J

Jack Griffin

That is quite the most stupid comment of all the incredibly stupid comments you have ever made.

Nick

Administrator
People do seem to have morals when it suits though. All of this unmoral hedge fund stuff, would people have been moaning if the unmoral hedgefund had got us promoted?

The same with the Marlon king situation.

DaleM

Say It's being funded by blood diamonds being laundered . Would you be be ok with that . Or how about the Afghan poppy trade or people smuggling or slavery . Would that be ok for you ?

Nick

Administrator
Say It's being funded by blood diamonds being laundered . Would you be be ok with that . Or how about the Afghan poppy trade or people smuggling or slavery . Would that be ok for you ?

Not if they smuggled ronaldo or messi

lordsummerisle

For most, if we were winning and spending loads of money, it wouldn't be close to being an issue.

martcov

Which is why some day the bubble will burst...,and the law will step in. Then the scumbags will move to the next "laundry"

J

Jack Griffin

Which one is you?
see-hear-speak-no-evil.jpg

skybluefred

Sorry but that is a ludicrous post.If the money comes from any illegal source it puts the future of OUR Club in danger.

A good portion of the funding comes from American Universities according to previous reports.

bigfatronssba

So you wouldn't care if we were taken over by the next Carlson Young?

James Smith

Mr Carson Yeung, Owen Oyston etc. just an owner and a former owner of football clubs in this country one is a convicted Money Launderer the other a convicted rapist.

Hobo

What if it was connected to Al-Qaida, slavery, human trafficking or drugs. It may seem extreme but these people do use tax havens and hedge funds. It is recognised world wide. But there are more honest investors also.

It's the anonymity and lack of transparency that is the problem.

RFC how would you feel if we had lost the services of Leon Clarke because the owners of Wolves were major investors in Arvo Master fund. Next on their list is Calum Wilson. How would the FL, you Or I know if another club wasn't influencing what is happening at Coventry? All hypothetical, but possible.

People do seem to have morals when it suits though. All of this unmoral hedge fund stuff, would people have been moaning if the unmoral hedgefund had got us promoted?

The same with the Marlon king situation.

I agree Nick. You will get different answers from different fans. I personally never wanted Marlon King. I never really embraced him and was glad when he went.

You are right though, when things are going well we tend not to scrutinise the situation so much. A flaw in human nature I think. But does that make it right.

This isn't a go at SISU thread. It is a flag up dangers about the current demand for high value investment in Football. It brings dangers. There are several questionable owners in British Football at the moment. I don't think SISU are the worst, but probably in the top 5.

I think we all need to look and think long and hard about our National Sport. Are the FA and FL fit for purpose at the moment? Do we need a radical overhaul in governance?

Rather than tinker with offside and scrutinise referees, should we be looking at who owns clubs, the way they are financed and who is actually providing the finance?

spider_ricoh

I think that the majority of the funding comes from the University of Pennsylvania Endowment Fund and the Huntsman family, both of whom have plenty of money.

As in the family of Jon M. Huntsman, who ran for President a couple of years ago ...former governor of Utah?

letsallsingtogether

What if it was connected to Al-Qaida, slavery, human trafficking or drugs. It may seem extreme but these people do use tax havens and hedge funds. It is recognised world wide. But there are more honest investors also.

RFC how would you feel if we had lost the services of Leon Clarke because the owners of Wolves were major investors in Arvo Master fund. Next on their list is Calum Wilson. How would the FL, you Or I know if another club wasn't influencing what is happening at Coventry? All hypothetical, but possible.

Its all ok Tim told him so must be true.

Grendel

I agree Nick. You will get different answers from different fans. I personally never wanted Marlon King. I never really embraced him and was glad when he went.

You are right though, when things are going well we tend not to scrutinise the situation so much. A flaw in human nature I think. But does that make it right.

This isn't a go at SISU thread. It is a flag up dangers about the current demand for high value investment in Football. It brings dangers. There are several questionable owners in British Football at the moment. I don't think SISU are the worst, but probably in the top 5.

I think we all need to look and think long and hard about our National Sport. Are the FA and FL fit for purpose at the moment? Do we need a radical overhaul in governance?

Rather than tinker with offside and scrutinise referees, should we be looking at who owns clubs, the way they are financed and who is actually providing the finance?

Sorry but Manchester City welcomed Shinawatra with open arms -- a known human rights abuser.

Hobo

Sorry but Manchester City welcomed Shinawatra with open arms -- a known human rights abuser.

Grendel
I think I have made it quite clear, this is not just a bash at SISU thread, there are numerous investors at clubs who should draw concern: Chelsea, Man City, Blackpool, Birmingham City and Coventry all spring to mind. I am sure there are others who deserve scrutiny.

I don't wish to see any of our clubs go to the wall. Clubs need investment and we need investors. But as fans, perhaps we should be a little more patient and demand a little more transparency as to where the funding is coming from.

Tonylinc

For how much longer can English football continue to prostitute itself to the money men of the world?

kdrinkell

Grendel
I think I have made it quite clear, this is not just a bash at SISU thread, there are numerous investors at clubs who should draw concern: Chelsea, Man City, Blackpool, Birmingham City and Coventry all spring to mind. I am sure there are others who deserve scrutiny.

I don't wish to see any of our clubs go to the wall. Clubs need investment and we need investors. But as fans, perhaps we should be a little more patient and demand a little more transparency as to where the funding is coming from.

Should not the football league do that as its in charge ? apparently

Hobo

Should not the football league do that as its in charge ? apparently

As I said earlier, are the FA and FL fit for governance, do we need to overhaul the way our national sport is ran?

Grendel

So that makes it OK then?

Clearly not. However if the likes of Shinwartra ran our club and pumped millions into it 90% would justify it. As Geoff Cook, Manchester City's CEO at the time said "he's a good guy to have a round of golf with". We embraced king a man with a string of offences and justified it with the fact "he had done his time". By that reckoning if Lee Hughes joined us after killing someone and scored a bucket load its fine "he's done his time". I can assure you if someone with the morals of Genghis Kahn ran this club and ran it well they're would be hand wringing all round. Well yes he killed millions but he plays a fine shot out of a bunker.....

Users who are viewing this thread