Who’s your forwards for the next game? (1 Viewer)

steve82

As title suggests who’s your front pair in a 442 or 4 in a 4231 should you prefer that option for Saturday v Luton to try and kick on before the festive period where big ground can be gained or lost very quickly.

It’s important to gain a bit of momentum at this stage of December.

*Thread could run the season in all honestly on current fortunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

Personally I think it’s more than time for Hiwula to be given a go with JCH as a pair in a 442. Chaplin needs a break out the starting 11, a spell on the bench like Hiwula had earlier in the season just to take the pressure off.

It’s time for MR to man manage him now. Bakayoko I feel deserves a few more impact role to be energetic for the last 25 mins or if we’re chasing a game coming in off the left.
I’m not convinced to start him just yet ahead of Hiwula or JCH who both bring different qualities in areas of the pitch but hopefully can unlock the key area in the 18 yard box

block16

Bakayoko was good at Walsall. Start him and Chaplin. Maybe Hiwula in for Chaplin. Would be nice to see the Baka and Hiwula start together in a front 2 purely just because I have no idea what would happen

Paxman II

............................Burge
....................Davies......Willis
Sterling.....................................Brown
...............Kelly.............Doyle
........................Bayliss
Thomas.............................Hiwula
.......................Chaplin

Why not?

steve82

Why not?

..... because you got a Andreu in your match day thread for Luton not Bayliss?

pusbccfc

Bakayoko and JCH.

Chaplin needs a week off.

oucho

Time to start thinking hard about JCH. He just doesn't score enough. Across his career he averages about 1.5 goals per 10 games, though to be fair many of those 10 games could be sub appearances. I have always quite liked the energy, speed and incisiveness he has shown in patches; last season that was a nice contrast to McNulty and Max. But I do not see what he has added this season.

rob9872

Grimmer.....................................Sterling
Thomas..........Bayliss ………...Shipley
.........................JCH

steve82

I'd be tempted to play Bakayoko where he did with Hiwula in front.

I thought about Bakayoko coming in off the side which I think would work well but I think he’s better in a sub role for that position if we’re chasing a game.

Reservations I have is the defensive work and cover he’d offer Brown at left back. Hiwula struggled massively with this aspect of the game, so I’m not convinced Bakayoko would offer any.

That said Bakayoko has something that I like about him, he could be a handful of a player if fine tuned and developed over time. It’s up to him if he’s keen to bide his time and train hard and replicate that for the U23’s and substitute appearances.

covcity4life

Bakayoko and someone else. Think he won enough headers,held ball up enough to warrant another start

Chaplin hiwula or Jch next to him can work. We just need to move better upfront as a team not just strikers. Think too much read into the missed chancesm They r good enough imo. What we miss is mcnukty all round play.

Nick

Administrator
I thought about Bakayoko coming in off the side which I think would work well but I think he’s better in a sub role for that position if we’re chasing a game.

Reservations I have is the defensive work and cover he’d offer Brown at left back. Hiwula struggled massively with this aspect of the game, so I’m not convinced Bakayoko would offer any.

That said Bakayoko has something that I like about him, he could be a handful of a player if fine tuned and developed over time. It’s up to him if he’s keen to bide his time and train hard and replicate that for the U23’s and substitute appearances.

He showed me than enough in his start last week to be fair. Did loads more than JCH / Chaplin had done for a while.

lifeskyblue

I would play JCH (or Baka) up top with Thomas just behind. Chaplin on the left and Baylis on the right.
I think thomas’ direct play might frighten the life out of central defenders. It would be worth trying once to see if has any merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

Time to start thinking hard about JCH. He just doesn't score enough. Across his career he averages about 1.5 goals per 10 games, though to be fair many of those 10 games could be sub appearances. I have always quite liked the energy, speed and incisiveness he has shown in patches; last season that was a nice contrast to McNulty and Max. But I do not see what he has added this season.

I disagree with JCH, I think it’s more MR style of play and asking him to play a target man type role with his back to goal often. The lack of supporting players getting near him leaves him often doing a thankless task. A few more opportunities for himself a game and he might get a better return, it’s fine margins at times. I think more can come from him

Looking at just his league stats back this theory a little.

Pre CCFC 6784 league mins (championship & L1) 323 mins per goal
CCFC 2054 league mins (L1, L2) 500 mins per goal

He’s currently at 469 mins per goal this season, if he’d of scored that 1v1 against Walsall he’d be on 352 mins which is closer to his pre ccfc career figures at Championship and L1 level.

On current players too he’s valuable to the side defensively at set pieces, late on in games he’s been clearing the ball out. It’s not where we want to be measuring his attributes but were lacking at times and he steps up.

Magwitch

Tighten the defence so Hyam in and Willis to right back, toughen up the midfield Kelly in, Doyle to start and either Ogogo or Shipley then Thomas, Bakayoko and either Chaplin or Hiwula.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Tighten the defence so Hyam in and Willis to right back, toughen up the midfield Kelly in, Doyle to start and either Ogogo or Shipley then Thomas, Bakayoko and either Chaplin or Hiwula.
Eh? Sterling had a decent game on Saturday. Not quite sure how playing Willis there will be any benefit whatsoever?

Skybluefaz

Perhaps could be time to get Jack Burroughs more involved around the first team squad. Another goal last night for the u23's. Up top I'd probably looking towards Baka and Hiwula as they've not had a chance to play together yet

higgs

Michael Doyle? Can't do any worse that the others up front not too many centre half s would want to mark him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oucho

I still sometimes wake up screaming ans sweating in the night with various memories of Willis's "performances" at right back!!! Orient away under SP being an obvious example....I am trying to recover from it, so don't encourage MR to give my consciousness more nightmare fodder!!

steve82

I still sometimes wake up screaming ans sweating in the night with various memories of Willis's "performances" at right back!!! Orient away under SP being an obvious example....I am trying to recover from it, so don't encourage MR to give my consciousness more nightmare fodder!!

Lincoln away too, he’s a player who’s developed far better into a central defender looks hopelessly lost at right back now.

No need for changes like that unless injuries mean it’s time to go ridged at the back

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Think I'd try Baka and Hiwula, but only as long as we play it on the ground. Anything humped long you've got to have JCH in as he's the only one who could compete, if he feels like it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why not?

Quite like that, but I do fear the ball would be coming back at us quite a lot. Don't think that front three are going to win many battles although Thomas will give it a go. So I'd maybe replace Chaplin with JCH in that formation as long as Thomas and Hiwula (and possibly Bayliss) are near enough to pick up second balls or lay offs. If they're deep it's pointless.

I think Doyle would be sitting a bit deeper than Kelly in front of the back four (between the wing-fullbacks), Kelly in a traditional central midfield position with Bayliss pushing forward into a position between Thomas and Hiwula at every opportunity.

Paxman II

Quite like that, but I do fear the ball would be coming back at us quite a lot. Don't think that front three are going to win many battles although Thomas will give it a go. So I'd maybe replace Chaplin with JCH in that formation as long as Thomas and Hiwula (and possibly Bayliss) are near enough to pick up second balls or lay offs. If they're deep it's pointless.

I think Doyle would be sitting a bit deeper than Kelly in front of the back four (between the wing-fullbacks), Kelly in a traditional central midfield position with Bayliss pushing forward into a position between Thomas and Hiwula at every opportunity.

...this is an attacking formation with a diamond up front, lots of interplay. league 1 is not used to that and we have the technical ability to do it. marauding wing backs with Kelly, Doyle and the back two snuffing out threats quickly. We would be quick, decisive and too much for league one defenses to cope. It would require energy which apart from Doyle they would have. Unfortunately it's a pipe dream, MR's won't attempt it so we will never know!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Perhaps could be time to get Jack Burroughs more involved around the first team squad. Another goal last night for the u23's. Up top I'd probably looking towards Baka and Hiwula as they've not had a chance to play together yet

Not until next season, or at the very most end of this season if we've nothing to play for. Want to keep your powder dry on him.

If an offer came in for Bayliss in the summer I could see MR being tempted to let him go with Burroughs and N'Gandu coming through. Quite probable we'll see at least one of Finn and Stedman released too, if not both.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

...this is an attacking formation with a diamond up front, lots of interplay. league 1 is not used to that and we have the technical ability to do it. marauding wing backs with Kelly, Doyle and the back two snuffing out threats quickly. We would be quick, decisive and too much for league one defenses to cope. It would require energy which apart from Doyle they would have. Unfortunately it's a pipe dream, MR's won't attempt it so we will never know!

A bit like the Armstrong/Kent/Murphy/Maddison thing? Yeah, that could cause a lot of problems at this level as you've got a good mix of abilities there - pace, movement, skill on the ball. I guess with the current line-up their equivalents would be Chaplin/Thomas/Hiwula/Bayliss. Just wish Chaplin was somewhere near as clinical as Armstrong was.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Michael Doyle? Can't do any worse that the others up front not too many centre half s would want to mark him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have wondered how we might do if we had Doyle pushed up just battling for the knock downs? He's not got the legs for the running around now, and his passing has always been a bit wayward unless it's very unadventurous sideways stuff, so having him collect the ball off the toes of the back four isn't doing anything either. Have Kelly playing that anchor position even though it stifles him a bit.

But then where does Bayliss fit in - don't want him pushed out wide because he's rarely effective there. So all in all I think the bench is best.

I'm now off to join the Witness Protection Scheme so Doyler can't find me!

Users who are viewing this thread