Where are we at (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

First real test today, and we really did look a good outfit for large parts today .

We often don't give our own team enough credit , maybe partly down to us not actually knowing what it takes to be in the mix in this league as we've never done it .

However , this must make you feel positive about the team

The finishing ? Can it be sorted ..I think yes , we said the same in league 1 and then it just clicked
Screenshot_20210828-200655_Chrome.jpg

cc84cov

First real test today, and we really did look a good outfit for large parts today .

We often don't give our own team enough credit , maybe partly down to us not actually knowing what it takes to be in the mix in this league as we've never done it .

However , this must make you feel positive about the team

The finishing ? Can it be sorted ..I think yes , we said the same in league 1 and then it just clicked
View attachment 21610
Boro & cardiff next these 3 games were gonna be a good indicator

junglej13

Agree. We were more than a match for them for an hour. First goal was always going to be massive. Always easy to criticise defenders but Dykes goal is a really good strike. Never happy after a defeat but some real positives thus far this season. Moore, Sheaf and Gyökeres been far better than I thought they would be.

cc84cov

Agree. We were more than a match for them for an hour. First goal was always going to be massive. Always easy to criticise defenders but Dykes goal is a really good strike. Never happy after a defeat but some real positives thus far this season. Moore, Sheaf and Gyökeres been far better than I thought they would be.
Once Kelly is back could we see sheaf drop into the back 3 ?

skybluegod

I said it in the match thread but I'll say it again. I'm really not concerned. Robins gambled with the subs second half, unfortunately they didn't work. And I'm sure he'll be learning from that behind closed doors.

The reality is we are progressing year on year, we are dominating games and we are just in a position now where we need individuals to just cut out silly errors - Hyam, Sheaf etc. Even Gyo needs to be more clinical (he's been excellent but just want him to be a bit more lethal).

It's fine margins in the championship, just that extra 1% of quality is the difference between getting results and not. I think the 2 week international break will be a really good chance to work on things as a side. Bedding in JCS, Maatsen etc further. Waghorn improved today and I think if he and O'Hare can link up better we should be in a strong position. Plenty to look forward to. See you all on the 11th sept!

cc84cov

I said it in the match thread but I'll say it again. I'm really not concerned. Robins gambled with the subs second half, unfortunately they didn't work. And I'm sure he'll be learning from that behind closed doors.

The reality is we are progressing year on year, we are dominating games and we are just in a position now where we need individuals to just cut out silly errors - Hyam, Sheaf etc. Even Gyo needs to be more clinical (he's been excellent but just want him to be a bit more lethal).

It's fine margins in the championship, just that extra 1% of quality is the difference between getting results and not. I think the 2 week international break will be a really good chance to work on things as a side. Bedding in JCS, Maatsen etc further. Waghorn improved today and I think if he and O'Hare can link up better we should be in a strong position. Plenty to look forward to. See you all on the 11th sept!
We didn’t dominate today we were ok in the first half we had much less possession,second half it was one way traffic

SIR ERNIE

Always looked a threat until the substitutions.

It wouldn't have been an injustice if we'd gone in 2 up at half time.

Based on 5 games we're a very decent championship side.

Top half finish is a realistic possibility.

skybluegod

Ah ok apologies 😁

No need at all mate. I think today was a much more even game, then switched in their favour for the last 30 mins.

I agree about Rose on the right. I think Hyam has cost us 2 goals already, so worth a shot. Although think possession wise it will help us to tidy up a lot better.

CanadianCCFC

In summary, we’ve deservedly beaten Forest, Blackpool and Reading who will all probably be in the bottom 8 imo.

We lost but deserved to draw away against Barnsley, who I think will finish mid table.

We deservedly lost 2-0 to QPR who I think have as good a chance as anyone except Fulham and WBA of going up this year.

All points to a mid table finish and improvement on last season 👍. Still early days obviously and that can change fast, but we can only evaluate what’s happened so far.

Evo1883

In summary, we’ve deservedly beaten Forest, Blackpool and Reading who will all probably be in the bottom 8 imo.

We lost but deserved to draw away against Barnsley, who I think will finish mid table.

We deservedly lost 2-0 to QPR who I think have as good a chance as anyone except Fulham and WBA of going up this year.

All points to a mid table finish and improvement on last season 👍

Hmm , I see it that Barnsley were totally outplayed and today QPR probably will be glad we left our shooting boots at home (much like Barnsley really), I don't think 2-0 really reflected todays match .. a draw would have been a result that reflected the match

fatso

We are a decent outfit, but we have 2 defenders still bedding in, we lack a little pace at the back at times and we need to find a striker who can finish along side Gyokeres, and we need to stop giving possession away too cheaply, that's all thats stopping us from being a top six side.
Small margins, but every season under MR, we get better!

CanadianCCFC

Hmm , I see it that Barnsley were totally outplayed and today QPR probably will be glad we left our shooting boots at home (much like Barnsley really), I don't think 2-0 really reflected todays match
Maybe Barnsley were outplayed but our defence looked vulnerable to balls in behind, meaning we looked as likely to concede as they did.

As for QPR, we certainly didn’t deserve anything. We slightly edged the first half but were easily second best second half

cc84cov

We are a decent outfit, but we have 2 defenders still bedding in, we lack a little pace at the back at times and we need to find a striker who can finish along side Gyokeres, and we need to stop giving possession away too cheaply, that's all thats stopping us from being a top six side.
Small margins, but every season under MR, we get better!
I think Godden starts soon with Gyo

Mcbean

Listening to the commentary ( I know , will take a 1000
Lines ) it did seem we didnt have the shooting boots on in the first half and that would make such a difference

clint van damme

All points to a mid table finish and improvement on last season 👍. Still early days obviously and that can change fast, but we can only evaluate what’s happened so far.

You're talking a lot of sense today mate, I doubt it will last!

Liquid Gold

We look a solid mid-table club which is exactly what I'd want us to be.

We'll go through some good patches and some bad patches but I hope we continue to play the way we do. We're excellent to watch at the minute.

Blind-Faith

We are looking a good side , I’d be pleasantly surprised with a top half finish. But it’s also nice to be in a position where I don’t think we will be in a relegation battle either if we stay away from major injuries etc.

That’s decent progress and all we can ask for from Robins and co 👍

CDK

Think will end up with gyo and walker or godden alongside him .we have definitely improved on last season and along as we carry on beating teams below us it'll be a good season as the team look comfortable.

slowpoke

I watched the game on tv commentated by QPR people who obviously happy with the result were very complimentary about us especially first half and were very relieved to go in at 0-0. We are still very much a work in progress but I think we have shown we can be better than the half way league position predicted. Be interesting what the transfer window brings in if anything, personally I’d would like another defender and attacking midfielder to extend our options and then there’s Bright. Could he be the bonus & missing link we will find out soon I reckon.

Esoterica

It's going to be a fun season. We've got some genuinely exciting players to watch and for the most part we play good football. We'll beat some teams soundly, lose to some that are better, lose to some that are worse and pick up points where we didn't expect. We'll be a solid mid table side, back in our city, with a better matchday experience than we've had for many seasons. It's the best we could have realistically hoped for and should be a solid foundation for repairing and growing the relationship with the wider fan base again.

Tommo1993

Yeah still a long way to go, but I’m comfortable and sure we’ll finish upper bottom half.

fernandopartridge

It's going to be a fun season. We've got some genuinely exciting players to watch and for the most part we play good football. We'll beat some teams soundly, lose to some that are better, lose to some that are worse and pick up points where we didn't expect. We'll be a solid mid table side, back in our city, with a better matchday experience than we've had for many seasons. It's the best we could have realistically hoped for and should be a solid foundation for repairing and growing the relationship with the wider fan base again.
Yes, I think we'll finish in the middle third of the table and luck with injuries and suspensions will be a big factor in where

shmmeee

Yeah mid table seems a fair shout. Long way to go to be a top six side. The quality of attacking players QPR had is miles above us as were their midfield. I don’t think we’d get out of this division without some serious luck or some serious cash to spend on quality. There’s probably still some room to up the quality in defence on our current budget, but I think the likes of Sheaf, Hamer, O’Hare, Györkeres are about as good as we’ll get.

lifeskyblue

Am I disappointed…yes
Am I disheartened…no
It was always going to be difficult yesterday v a side that is predicted to do well by many.
Our main weakness at the minute is taking chances..but I’m sure that is being worked on. If/when it all clicks I’m sure we will hammer a few teams.
The quality of football is much higher so far this season and we look like an ‘established’ championship side so that is good progress on last season. Are we likely to challenge for a top six place…I don’t think so. But we are not going to be involved in a relegation battle either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty

We lost 2-0 but I'm barely even annoyed. That has to be a good sign. Sure, if I had travelled to the game I might feel differently, but there are a lot of positives to take away.

I went, but I'm not annoyed we lost, players gave everything but couldn't get it in the back of the net, just lack quality in the final third again, it's not just the forwards but runs through the whole team, think we'll be a safe midtable side this year. We're competing and getting the better of side with 5-10 X the playing budget. Another couple of year progressing like this, we should be ready for a promotion challenge

Barnsley

You’re 12 months behind us, you’re doing what we’ve done but 12 months after, you came up with a really young squad, got a season of championship football into them, improving them as a individuals and a team, as the season progressed, now you’ve got a young energetic championship team with 12 months experience under their belt, that are hungry to improve and succeed. Each win and impressive performance will inspire the next. your next big challenge is keeping your team together next summer.

That’s where your at in my opinion looking on from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread