When We Get Relegated (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

City will not be playing football at the Ricoh.

The word is that ACL want to develop the concert concept that brings in the real revenue.

They are going to kick us out.

torchomatic

The word is you've just made that up. That's what the kids on the streets of Warwick are saying anyway.

Flying Fokker

This could well be a rumour. But the bloke I spoke to a couple of weeks ago was 100% certain that plans are already in place to kick us out of the Ricoh when relegated. (Unless of course the Hoffman deal means that 1/2 the stadium is purchased). In which case I don't think they would kick us out. Not Warwick BTW.

CJparker

As Tim Fisher said at the LSC meeting, what can you do with a rectangle of grass with 32,500 seats facing it? If Coventry don't play at the Ricoh, the stadium itself is immediately in financial trouble.

Flying Fokker

Sounds implausible to me as well. But this is something that may be under consideration. Concerts pull in the money. Maybe they are planning to put a roof on the Ricoh when they chuck us out?

Notice I say MAY. This is just the comments made by another someone who knows someone at ACL.

It could happen but I too think it is highly unlikely,

TheOldFive

Look. After a week like we've just had, can we just try and lay off the Bullshit for a bit? Just to see how that works out for us eh?

Chipfat

I wouldn't take anything Fisher says as gospel... He is another spin merchant..Sisu this Sisu that.... Truth is Sisu have got no clue about how or what to do with this business that they are failing with.....

gouldberg

what can you do with a rectangle of grass with 32,500 seats facing it?

Well there's been a lot of talk recently of the NFL wanting a franchise team based in the UK. With no football team attached it could be a viable location in the early stages.

Other options include cup games for rugby (we had such a game before), England U19/U21 Internationals or should an investor be willing to put a roof onto the arena it could quickly become a top music/comedy venue like the LG. With a roof (I see no reason why one couldn't be put onto the arena as long as an investor/sponsor is willing) then it could host WWE tours, Basketball...the list is endless.

Now, I'm not saying for one minute we are set to be kicked to the curb but we all know how little the Ricoh makes out of football related income (the figure was 17% I seem to remember). Losing us wouldn't be as bad for the arena as some seem to think. It would certainly still run at a profit.

Chipfat

What happens when we are relegated and we lose 5mill but the rent is still the same!!!!!!!!!!! Council dont wont and will not work with SISU so ACL might not have to push CCFC out the rent might not be affordable.....

Gaz

It has been proved that the Ricoh arena doesn't need the football club for it to be successful and survive.

Scary thought but you just never know.

gouldberg

Where did the NFL idea come from?

It's talk from America. The NFL have noticed that their yearly NFL season game at Wembley is always a massive success and they now want to take the next step towards making the NFL a major sport in the UK which they would achieve by letting a franchise set up a team based in the United Kingdom.

Of course, they haven't talked specifics yet but the general idea is solid and is backed by the NFL's players and fans. Now, I say the Ricoh could be a viable option because it's a 32,000 seat stadium and whilst that is massively short of the 70k average attendances in the NFL it's a central location that could be developed.

It would also be one of the biggest available stadiums around should CCFC not play there. Ideally the NFL would want Wembley to be the home of the British franchise but I could definitely see the Ricoh being considered especially with the massive back pockets the average NFL owner has. Redevelopment of the stadium to double capacity would be mere pennies for a rich American Football owner.

Lord_Nampil

the idea ACL dont care about the club is really worrying. If CCFC didnt exist there would be no ACL, the fact they have never been bothered with the club shows what kind of people they are regardless if this tread is bull or not!!!

Chipfat

They did care when 80% of the stadium income came from CCFC but now only 20% comes from them business might mean we are no longer that important.

AFCCOVENTRY

the idea ACL dont care about the club is really worrying. If CCFC didnt exist there would be no ACL, the fact they have never been bothered with the club shows what kind of people they are regardless if this tread is bull or not!!!

ACL/Council etc don't want deal with SISU. That is the bottom line.

Also the council would look a tad stupid to kick out a community cornerstone of the city... political suicide ;)

Flying Fokker

Ahem.

Time to FESS up.

The conversation I had was in a sauna in a local health club! (The mind boggles) The bloke, who is a member of the gym suggested that his mate at ACL said plans are already in place to kick us out. Not clear about the circumstances but he suggested that Admin/relegation was not a problem for the Ricoh because they have other irons in the fire.

That is all I have heard. I know nothing, never did but spoke to this guy who seemed convinced we are minor players at the Ricoh.

Last edited:

Lord_Nampil

I say this then Fuck them... Keys said the same in his BBC interview and he also said as its owned by the council im sure local tax payers would be more than happy to have stadium with no football club!

Yopu dont have to be far away from cov to build a new ground Warwickshire is only 300 yards from the Ricoh now!!!

torchomatic

NFL? Bloody racists.

Astute

Normal utter shite that has been on here all season. So the council would kick their local team out of their ground? Nobody would mind in the slightest, would they? So they helped to finance the build to make money then?

Users who are viewing this thread