When Killer went up to lift the FA Cup (1 Viewer)

i was there i was there !

Just got me 87 replica shirt and its brought back some great memories :D

So to try and cheer this forum up a little who else was there and what memories do you have ?

happy days

PUSB

Last edited:

superskyblue

I wish I was there, unfortunately born in 1990 so the best memories I've got are of the late 90's with the likes of Dublin, Huckerby, Keane, McAllister and Hadji getting us midtable Premiership positions. 3-2 against Manchester United is the best game I have ever seen hands down.

NINOOVCOV

i was there, i was 18, the most amazing day of my life up to that stage, the first thing i heard when entering wembley was the spuds fans singing "we've never lost at wembley" when the game was finished we sung it back at them, :D, and coming back to Cov was brilliant with loads of cov fans on bridges welcoming us back, oh and the game were'nt bad either...:D

skybluelee

I was there aged 11! Christ knows how my old man got tickets. We lived in Weymouth and rarely went to any other games. The day's all a bit hazy.

I remember clearly the journey home on the train. I think we were the only City fans on it, the rest was full of glum looking Spurs fans. I had my first taste of champagne on that train.

Remember after the game sat in my seat looking at the FA Cup far away up in the Royal box before Killer went up to get it thinking, 'Coventry City - FA Cup Winners' over and over, and how it didn't sound right.

I got a mention in school assembly the following Monday and i showed everybody the flag from the day.

Happy days...

Stoppercurtis

My Dad introduced me to City when I was 5. I promised him I would never go to Wembley unless City went first. I kept my promise took my son and had the time of my life. My abiding memory was the sea of sky blue across 2/3rd's of the ground.

Stopper

Skyblueloyal

Too many to put on here but my main one was meeting a old friend who came all the way from Americia just for the game, he was just three seats in front of me. I would have missed him but we were in with the Spurs fans right behind the Royal Box.

ccfcway

My Memory was of the day after, where the telegraph went with the headline

"It's The League Next"

Snoz and Curtis set their sites on winning the league.

:)

torchomatic

Three of us went down on the train. Queuing in those big halls by Coventry Station. I was the only one with a ticket so my two mates watched it in a bookies.

Main memories for me are; the size of the steps on the terraces were massive. Feeling ill when Allen scored. Feeling worse when they went two-one up as I thought we'd missed our chance. The elation when we won and the bloke next to me - who was a big lad - hugging me until I could hardly breath.

That evening I smoked for the first and only time - a cigar from the Jolly Fish in Long Itch where we were celebrating. I fell terrible the next day when we joined the city on the wet streets to cheer the lads as they came past in that open top bus.

Brilliant day. It's memories like that which keep me supporting City and why I will be there next season and the next and the next, regardless of what division we're in and who is wearing Sky Blue.

D

Deleted member 2477

I was there as a spottyfaced 16 year old with my mate from school. It was our first season that we had a season ticket that our parets bought us and we started travelling to the away games on Harry Shaw from pool meadow.

We went to every round of the cup home and away and Ivestill got the programs and tickets except for the first game against Bolton as I never bought a program :(

Fantastic memories and sadly a long time ago and a million miles away from the joke of a club we have now

mattylad

I remember me dad, brother and me charging down the M1 in an Orange Hillman Avenger estate :) It was an amazing day and I remember Clive Allen scoring and me dad just saying "dont worry we have plenty of time to get one back now"

LastGarrison

I was 7. My Old Man got offered two tickets in the Rose and Crown the night before. And turned them down.

25 years later and I still haven't forgiven him.

hotrod

Has anybody got any video of the player's & crowd's reaction after LLoyd's goal as I was to busy celebrating to notice,all the TV pictures concentrated on Mabbutt's reaction.

Regards.

Fluffsta

I remember the cup run really well back in 87!

I even had a cup final ticket given to me but I couldn't go because my Mum had work and my Dad at the time needed to pick her up from Walsgrave Hospital at the time.

My thoughts of the grand day.

I was only 11 at the time but I remember everything so vivid. I remember we had a huge flag in our window like almost everybody else had at the time, it was dark blue white and sky blue. I remember only 15 mins before kick off how quiet the roads were, still to this day I have never seen roads so quiet!

When kick off came I remember my Dad telling me this was our year and we will beat Spurs but when goal number one came in only after 2 mins I remember my Dad jumping up out of his chair saying "I knew we would blow it!". I walked into the kitchen and was almost in tears only after 2 mins!!

It was such a lovely hot day for May and when the Mabbutt deflection went in we went crazy! The party MUST BE ON NOW (it frigging was)

My mother phoned and said it was even crazy on the wards on Walsgrave Hospital everybody no matter the situation was jubilant! When it came time to pick my Mum up from Hospital came the real fun and something to this day which makes me feel proud to be a Sky Blue ..On route to collect my Mum we ran into some real traffic near Junction 2 of the M6, miles and miles of cars all driving into Walsgrave after making the great journey back from London all honking horns and hundreds of people all over the small island by the two petrol garages in Walsgrave cheering on the people who made the journey and them honking back at the crowd!

One thing really sticks out in my mind from that day, we got a little further near Walsgrave Hospital and somebody was handing out beer to people in cars! Some guy handed my dad a can of lager as he was stationary in traffic! I think he had a few crates beside the road and was giving one to each driver!

I remember going over the road to the Broadstreet Club on Henley Road and the party was in full sing with everybody singing songs and flags everywhere. Without doubt it was and will be to my dying day one of the best days of my life and I was really glad that I remember it so well.

I often think that the 87 and 88 (Wimbledon) cup finals were some of the last great finals.

I was not really a fan back then and never got the bug until Phil Neal was in charge. Just to be clear i'm referring to the era and not love for Phil Neal and his 20+ medals.

Users who are viewing this thread