What's your tipping point? (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

This thread is probably a really bad idea, but fuck it.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Sisu do the worst case scenario and we just keep slowly sliding down the divisions in a vicious circle of cutting costs -> getting worse -> cutting costs.

Wondering what people's personal tipping point would be to either give up altogether or support a "new" CCFC?

Are you here until the end even if we end up with a team of academy kids playing in front of 2k at the Butts? Would a drop out of the league be it? Would it take some action from the owners to convince you there's no light at the end of the tunnel?

Just curious, don't want to start a fight or anything. Been thinking a lot about how resilient a club is to lack of success and who owns the "real" CCFC.

And no, I don't care if you don't think the hypothetical will happen, that's not how thought experiments work.

dongonzalos

My tipping point was the talksport interview the other week.
When the only thing that mattered was breakeven.
I was fairly certain to achieve breakeven then unless an academy product is sold then you must cut.
If you cut any chance of success goes.
With that crowds drop and you then have to cut more.
My logic to this became. We can't produce and academy star every year so eventually we will get relegated.
Eventually this business model will take us to the cusp of relegation from the football league.
I thought when facing this SISU would turn to administration.
So we may as well speed it up do NOMP on mass for a few months and get there in a year or two instead of four. Then get new owners.

Two recent factors and got me now reconsidering this

Ben Stevenson has only just enter the frey this season. Yet we maybe on the verge of getting good money for him.
Harries broke into the first team but was deemed not ready. Now he is having a trial at Liverpool.
Willis has had a solid season and is linked with decent money to Bristol City.
The silly money is starting to gradually creep down the leagues.
We are potentially going to recoup 1-3 million for academy players who will not be significantly missed.
Which now makes me think the business model may have longevity.
Future OK academy players may raise some decent cash.

Also OSB having looked at the accounts saying NOMP can't work.

So I have tipped and quite possibly flipped

(I assume you mean tipping point to be temporarily not attending)

Last edited:

chiefdave

There till the end, although if we went much lower than the Conference I'd probably have second thoughts. Reckon the conference, playing at the Butts, is where we'd find our level in terms of sustainability with a chance of having a decent season.

Only other things would be if something really drastic happens like we do a Wasps and bugger off 100 miles away. A rebrand would depend on how severe it was. At the moment I don't think a Red Bull CCFC would be allowed but you never know what might happen down the line.

I would love to say I'd keep going with an AFC but I think if it came to it that would be me done.

My tipping point was the talksport interview the other week.

The other shocking thing was the lack of any positivity, even if it was pretend. When asked what the plan was for a new manager, his response was "who'd want to manage this club?" He is the chairman of the football club and is meant to sell it to anyone listening.

Further proof if it was needed that he is a stooge that's sole purpose is to deflect attention from what's really going on: nothing.

Otis

I am always okay as long as we are competitive. I won't settle for for us just surviving in League One with zero ambition.

We get relegated and set our stall to compete for promotion in League Two, I'll be there. We settle for just surviving in League Two you can count me out.

As long as we are competitive and set out to try and be successful then I'm in whichever league we are in, but I will not settle for us just surviving in each league.

Next season if Slade is still here I want to hear talk of top 6 and a promotion push. I don't want to hear about us just ticking over or us having to overachieve to compete near the top.

We should go into every season believing we have a chance.

We just go into every season with he aim to just tick along then that for me is no football club. No ambition, no passion, no energy, no belief.

Sky Blue Pete

The other shocking thing was the lack of any positivity, even if it was pretend. When asked what the plan was for a new manager, his response was "who'd want to manage this club?" He is the chairman of the football club and is meant to sell it to anyone listening.

Further proof if it was needed that he is a stooge that's sole purpose is to deflect attention from what's really going on: nothing.
What's really going on then?

What's really going on then?

I can't tell if you're joking so I'll clarify anyway.

SISU are sitting on their investment with no further input, on the off chance that someone meets their terms and they don't have to realise their loss. Fisher is the puppet while the club stagnates / slowly dies.

pastythegreat

While we are in Coventry I'm in til the end. Unless we change our identity Coventry wasps or RB Coventry etc. Whatever happens, I will be there non league or
Premiership.
Same as that! Whilst there is a CCFC to support, I'll be there doing just that! Current owners, new owners, no owners, whatever! I don't support the owners I support the team and the 11 lads pulling on a shirt for the team.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

tisza

always be my club. but not the be-all it used to be.
there isn't the sense of connection there used to be.
part of it started when the group I used to go with from an early age (in the 80s) just started giving up and doing other things. kids lost enthusiasm for it. all started around Northampton.
don't believe fans have to turn up regardless of what's happening. if you don't enjoy it anymore what's the point?

ccfchoi87

I understand some people go for the enjoyment. A lot of the time I don't enjoy supporting CCFC. Why would I I've only ever seen 2 top half finishes in my time supporting us so I've seen way more losses than wins. For me it's more than that and it's hard to put into words

Brylowes

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Sisu do the worst case scenario and we just keep slowly sliding down the divisions in a vicious circle of cutting costs -> getting worse -> cutting costs.

Thing is what you describe as the "worst case scenario" is exactly what we
Are doing now, and I think things can and probably will get worse.
As for my tipping point, I'm not sure, thought I might have reached it by now
But I haven't, if we were liquidated and started again I would definitely be out.
I know that much.

ajsccfc

I'll never transfer support to a replacement or new team while this one exists. I'm not planning to renew my ST while things remain as they are so I guess my tipping point has already passed. I don't know exactly what I'd need to be convinced of change, as the signing of Mowbray won me round previously so it's not impossible that it would occur with the current owners, albeit unlikely.

Sky Blue Kid

I am always okay as long as we are competitive. I won't settle for for us just surviving in League One with zero ambition.

We get relegated and set our stall to compete for promotion in League Two, I'll be there. We settle for just surviving in League Two you can count me out.

As long as we are competitive and set out to try and be successful then I'm in whichever league we are in, but I will not settle for us just surviving in each league.

Next season if Slade is still here I want to hear talk of top 6 and a promotion push. I don't want to hear about us just ticking over or us having to overachieve to compete near the top.

We should go into every season believing we have a chance.

We just go into every season with he aim to just tick along then that for me is no football club. No ambition, no passion, no energy, no belief.

Haven't we been doing this for the last 5-6 years Otis?

torchomatic

If you have a tipping point then i would question whether you support the team that much anyway. Supporting your team is for life, good or bad, successful or not.

I certainly couldn't just switch off my support. Whlst there is a CCFC then I'm there regardless of the league.

Last edited:

AJB1983

Always my team but they lost me when they fucked off to Northampton.
Although saying that I have been since they came back (the return game included) but only on free tickets and to take my daughter to see the football on Boxing Day last year.
Not been this season at all.

robbiekeane

Wondering what people's personal tipping point would be to either give up altogether or support a "new" CCFC?

Are you here until the end even if we end up with a team of academy kids playing in front of 2k at the Butts? Would a drop out of the league be it? Would it take some action from the owners to convince you there's no light at the end of the tunnel?

Just curious, don't want to start a fight or anything. Been thinking a lot about how resilient a club is to lack of success and who owns the "real" CCFC.

And no, I don't care if you don't think the hypothetical will happen, that's not how thought experiments work.
My first instinct is there isn't one. A curse you're born with unfortunately ;)

But on reflection, I think it would take something extreme and pretty unlikely like...a comms or leaked email or something equally ridiculous from the owners outlining a plan to just quietly let us slip down to non league and liquidate us. That's not the plan. But hypothetically something like that would probably tip me

Hobo

If we still exist we still have the history and there is still hope. Otis make a good point about being competitive at the level you are at. I would rather be pushing for play offs in League 1 working to a budget, than bottom in Premier League losing 3-0 every week and accumulating millions in debt. Even if we went out of existence my team would still be Coventry City FC....they can't be replaced.

Fergusons_Beard

Always Skyblue-Right to the bitter end.

Whatever division.

My mate supports Wrexham-he supported them when they beat Porto and Roma in the Cup Winners cup and continues to support them now in the conference.

Lives on the memories of old glories of course-especially now they are losing to the village team North Ferriby Utd and Southport!

Always someone worse off!
For me-that's why you forever loyal-whatever happens-City is my team and always will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Haven't we been doing this for the last 5-6 years Otis?
Well last season we were top, then top 3 and then top 6 and this was all the way until January, so I do think there was a real desire and will to go up.

This season it appears we have settled for and set up for midtable survival.

Moff

My tipping point is when I read some of the utter shit on this site, and the pure embarrassment I feel at some of my fellow CCFC fans, fans who claim others have 'mental heatlh issues' or similar, because of their opinion.

We live in a democracy and the utter shit peddled on this site makes me ashamed of supporting the club at times. Couple that with my hatred of SISU and I am on the edge. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope SISU will go, and that I don't sit next to one of these twats at the ground.

Sky Blue Kid

Well last season we were top, then top 3 and then top 6 and this was all the way until January, so I do think there was a real desire and will to go up.

This season it appears we have settled for and set up for midtable survival.
We were top in mid November, then the wheels came off mate. A steady descent from then. results from other teams losing slowed the downward drop. We caught the other teams napping, but they worked out our strategy and nullyfied it. By mid January our season was all but over, apart from a little run of 4 wins right at the end of the season. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread