Whats the answer to the away form? (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Thoughts?

Not sure personally but law of averages tells us we cant keep winning at home forever so we need to find a way to pick up points away

Jamiepwns

Do whatever we did in the L1 winning season where we didn't win a single away game before Christmas

stevefloyd

We'd have won last night if we'd continued playing instead of dropping to a back 5. Need to be braver.

I also think their first goal was an unreal header, not very often that happens and it came from maatson running the ball out for a corner when no one was anywhere near him. Shit like that swings matches.
I thought Maetson was dreadful last night

Kingokings204

We need some luck. The belief isn’t there.
We could do with an extra body in midfield away form home such as last night and Jamie Allens energy was missed. Also a fully fit gyokores tears Preston a part last night. Mix that in with Robins making changes at 1-1 we still might have won the game. Small changes but keys ones

shmmeee

Each week we get Joy to announce a rent strike and ground share with whoever we are playing away that week, happily resolved before the next home game.

Travs

Both goals were unnecessary. Needless corner given away for tte first, and a rash free-kick, and then completely falling asleep for the 2nd.

Problem was you could see it coming the way we sat back, but even then Preston didn't look capable of breaking through without our errors.

Chip Batch

Yeah, as people have said a few things really. A lack of belief - I don’t know why that is, they know what they’re capable of and can at least hold their own in this league.

Maybe be more solid. Or alternatively be brave and play the way that has been getting results at home. Glad that’s for Robins to work out and not me! One thing I would say is if they’re going to play the same formation we do at home, we have to have the conviction of our beliefs in it and be brave. I can’t remember a ball into the box by either wingback second half as they sat back / were pushed back. They had to push up the pitch more.

Smaller details particular to last night. Gyokeres didn’t look fit. I hope he’s right for Saturday. Totally understand why he played though, Maatsen giving that pointless corner away. I thought the midfield was overrun, Kelly and Hamer were pretty ineffective. These things happen though, it’s getting the tactics and mentality right in general which will turn the away form.

Grendel

It will happen. I’m not even that bothered. I think we’ve got enough with our home form to finish mid table which will be fantastic improvement again. Absolutely loving this ride

We won’t win home games forever and we really shouldn’t be aspiring to drop 7 places having already played nearly a third of the season and are 4th

clint van damme

I've no idea what the answer is but he has to change something. What we're doing isn't working

CDK

Start the whole away formula a fresh as the present one is crap and robins said as much also think he is getting carried away by our position and letting high standards drop and accepting away defeats.go back to the box and explain it to the other strikers that 2up away is off the pitch and tactics board as not working.

harvey098

We won’t win home games forever and we really shouldn’t be aspiring to drop 7 places having already played nearly a third of the season and are 4th

We're massively over-achieving (based on unattainable home form which as you say will drop). A mid-table finish will be a brilliant achievement and I think we have a bloody good chance of getting it after this start.

CV22SBA

He didn’t try to go past the defender at all. That was the worst thing about it last night
Yep. Back pass every time to Rose who then went back again or gave the ball away. It was noticeable that when Kane plays he actually gets his cross in the box. I don’t recall Dabo or Maetsen putting a decent ball in the box if at all.

shmmeee

Just focus and belief innit?
We're massively over-achieving (based on unattainable home form which as you say will drop). A mid-table finish will be a brilliant achievement and I think we have a bloody good chance of getting it after this start.

We’re not really are we?

We’ve shown we’re good enough to beat most of the teams we’ve lost to. We need consistency but I’m not sure that’s the same as massively overachieving

CV22SBA

Our wingbacks don’t perform in the same attacking manner as they do at home. Maybe MR tells them not too but if that’s the case I think a different formation would work better away from home.

harvey098

Just focus and belief innit?

We’re not really are we?

We’ve shown we’re good enough to beat most of the teams we’ve lost to. We need consistency but I’m not sure that’s the same as massively overachieving

We're 4th with one of the smallest budgets in the league and you don't think that constitutes over-achieving? We're playing against seasoned championship teams and players who have far more experience of this division and we have only been smashed once. We are well in most games, even away from home.

It's incredible what we're doing.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We're 4th with one of the smallest budgets in the league and you don't think that constitutes over-achieving? We're playing against seasoned championship teams and players who have far more experience of this division and we have only been smashed once. We are well in most games, even away from home.

It's incredible what we're doing.
It is overachieving, but just because we have a bottom 4 budget doesn’t mean we should still be happy with 4th from bottom.

expectation is dynamic- we’ve shown weve got the players to compete with every team in this league.

we should be doing better away from home.

Grendel

We aren't massively over achieving - as I said on another thread budgets are not really an argument. Budgets are in essence wages and a lot of clubs in this league have players on high wages but zero value. Stoke have actually bought some players but a large element of their huge losses is tied up in over valued players whose values are now written down. Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea will have high wages but poor players and little ability to operate in the transfer market.

People have said Dabo, Hamer, O Hare and Gyokeres are high values in the transfer market so the squad value is high

We finished 8th in the Mowbray season and by your own argument was a brilliant season. We declined and we never recovered.

To finish 11 - 12 now would mean we are declining from the start and unless we have injuries to key players I do not see logically why we should.

harvey098

It is overachieving, but just because we have a bottom 4 budget doesn’t mean we should still be happy with 4th from bottom.

expectation is dynamic- we’ve shown weve got the players to compete with every team in this league.

we should be doing better away from home.

We're not displaying "bottom 4 form" though. We're fucking 4th! The fact is that home form will probably drop a bit, away form will probably improve a bit and we will probably finish about mid-table which will continue our year-on-year improvement. Its a brilliant time to be a city fan.

Grendel

We're not displaying "bottom 4 form" though. We're fucking 4th! The fact is that home form will probably drop a bit, away form will probably improve a bit and we will probably finish about mid-table which will continue our year-on-year improvement. Its a brilliant time to be a city fan.

The budget argument as I keep saying is bollocks - how much would you say between them Dabo, Gyokeres, Hamer and O Hare are worth in the transfer market?

SlowerThanPlatt

I think the point being made is budget isn’t necessarily reflective of the quality or value of players at a club.

harvey098

We aren't massively over achieving - as I said on another thread budgets are not really an argument. Budgets are in essence wages and a lot of clubs in this league have players on high wages but zero value. Stoke have actually bought some players but a large element of their huge losses is tied up in over valued players whose values are now written down. Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea will have high wages but poor players and little ability to operate in the transfer market.

People have said Dabo, Hamer, O Hare and Gyokeres are high values in the transfer market so the squad value is high

We finished 8th in the Mowbray season and by your own argument was a brilliant season. We declined and we never recovered.

To finish 11 - 12 now would mean we are declining from the start and unless we have injuries to key players I do not see logically why we should.

We are literally over-achieving our own fans' expectations from the start of the season.

I cant even believe we are having a discussion about whether we are over-achieving when we are sitting 4th with a team that mostly came up from league 1, some even from league 2.

I know football fans are fickle but I can't believe I'm having to defend how well we're doing. Insane.

harvey098

The budget argument as I keep saying is bollocks - how much would you say between them Dabo, Gyokeres, Hamer and O Hare are worth in the transfer market?

Of course budget is relative which is why Leicester winning the league was a more noteworthy achievement compared to Man City winning the league. Am I going fucking mad? If you have a bigger budget, you are more likely to be able to attract better players. How is that even a discussion?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

We are certainly overachieving, massively maybe up for debate. I obviously won't be happy if we fall to midtable but it isn't the tragedy you are insinuating it is. However, it can at least be a stick you can beat the manager with if we do drop out of playoff contention over the season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Aim as high as possible and if you don’t achieve that you’ll still probably overachieve anyway. We have gifted away as many points on the road as we have stolen at home.

There needs to be more self belief on the road

SlowerThanPlatt

Take last night for example - Preston’s budget will be bigger but you’d argue on this seasons evidence we have the better/more valuable players

harvey098

Take last night for example - Preston’s budget will be bigger but you’d argue we have the better/more valuable players

You have literally just summed up "over-achieving" in one sentence. Our players are playing better than their original worth. Over-achieving.

Grendel

Of course budget is relative which is why Leicester winning the league was a more noteworthy achievement compared to Man City winning the league. Am I going fucking mad? If you have a bigger budget, you are more likely to be able to attract better players. How is that even a discussion?

Derby have a bigger budget by your definition - which players would you swap with Prestons players? Budget includes ability to transact. Hardly any clubs in this league have transacted in the summer at all. Its full of clubs with players on long contracts at inflated wages

You are associating budget with wages. Preston - will they attract better players and even if they can how would they sign them with all the budget tied in the existing squad?

Users who are viewing this thread