What went wrong ("wronger!!") last night (1 Viewer)

DazzleTommyDazzle

Really an awful night to be a Cov fan.

Poor performance making an OK team just out of Division 4 look like they'd give Real Madrid a run for their money.

So (in my view) what went wrong?

Goalkeeper - Murphy got a lot of stick last night and he deserved it for the first goal and for almost gifting a second soon after, when he punched a cross back across his 6 yard box - after that, he didn't have too much to do and had little chance for the other goals.

Defence - I thought that the full backs were OK. The central defence however was woeful. Edge was all over the place. About the only positive for him was that he didn't get sent off - which looked odds on after the first 15 minutes. Wood is generally pretty reliable, but he looks uncomfortable playing as the right sided central defender and had a very poor game topped off by gifting the final goal to Shrewsbury, with a weak (and telegraphed) headed back pass. I remember that when we sold Keogh and lost Cranie, a number of posters wrote about how over-rated they were and how we wouldn't miss them. Those people should have been at the game last night.....

Midfield - In the first half our midfield consisted of the Jennings one man show. Barton was invisible, Baker flitted into the game with a couple of runs (ended by crosses into the crowd) and Kilbane was marginally better than Barton. Jennings may not be the world's best player but at least he put himself about a bit. You can't have 3 out of 4 midfielders going missing.....

Attack - Elliot seemed to start as an (ineffective) fifth midfielder but after we went 2 behind moved up to support McGoldrick. Elliot does a lot of running but rarely looks dangerous - I really don't understand what's happened with Cody. McGoldrick tried hard and looked more effective in the second half after Fleck and Sheff came on - though Shrewsbury coasting at 4-0 (not a phrase I'd have expected to write) was probably the main reason. Too often we launched high balls towards McGoldrick and (guess what) the Shrewsbury defence dealt with them without breaking sweat.

The new manager has a lot of work to do (candidate for under-statement of the year).

Users who are viewing this thread