What have they got and we haven't? (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

What have teams like Burton, Bradford, Barnsley, Walsall and Gillingham got that we haven't? Team Spirit? Happy dressing room? Better players? They all must have something we haven't.

Sky Blue Kid

Good owners that think about what is needed to ensure a good product on the field... Dons Tin Hat and waits for mortar attack ;)

fernandopartridge

Continuity in the case of:

Burton: Admittedly, they changed manager (not by their choice) but brought in somebody in Clough who had put the foundations in place some time ago

Bradford: Parkinson has been in charge since 2011, we've had 4 managers in that period

The others; I don't believe anybody has used anywhere the number of players we have since we were in League 1, wholesale change every season + numerous loans.

skybluegod

Lack of injuries to key players.
Players in their prime rather than teenagers and 30+'s
Experienced League one managers, this is TM's first season at this level
Teams built up over years not in one summer

Nick

Administrator
Is the whole players not being together for years the new excuse? Strange though, didn't seem to have much of an impact on us winning a lot of games at the start of the season.

skybluetony176

Continuity in the case of:

Burton: Admittedly, they changed manager (not by their choice) but brought in somebody in Clough who had put the foundations in place some time ago

Bradford: Parkinson has been in charge since 2011, we've had 4 managers in that period

The others; I don't believe anybody has used anywhere the number of players we have since we were in League 1, wholesale change every season + numerous loans.

Stability was the first thing that cropped into my head to.

skybluetony176

Is the whole players not being together for years the new excuse? Strange though, didn't seem to have much of an impact on us winning a lot of games at the start of the season.

Instability is always capable of delivering short term successes. If you want long term success however that requires stability

Nick

Administrator
Instability is always capable of delivering short term successes. If you want long term success however that requires stability

So does that mean it hit that short term limit and the players suddenly started being awful?

I can understand for a business over long term as in years it would help.

I don't think it will make things change within a matter of weeks.

I can understand if a manager throws a squad together and they need time to click and work together. That goes against the way it has worked for us.

Skyblueweeman

Those teams don't have...

Managers who have a history of choking in the 2nd half of the season.
Sh*t owners. (I don't know that for a fact though...just an assumption).
Financial planning similar to ours.
Stadium situations like ours.
Unsupportive councils. (Again, don't know that for fact).
Lack of scouting systems in place.
A generic losing mentality running through the veins of the club, year after year after year after year.

That said, we do have a good academy....every cloud and all that...

WM

Nick

Administrator
They also don't have "big names". I just had a look at the Burton Squad, I could only say I have heard of Stuart Beavon and John Mousinho before.

Without checking each of them, they all look to have smaller squads too.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd probably say variety, Murphy and Armstrong are one trick ponies really

Half way there.

Armstrong isn't a one trick pony, he just hasn't been getting anywhere near the service he was getting earlier in the season.

How many times did he get on to the end of a through ball compared to now? Players like JOB and Lameiras have been able to cut a defence with a pass, Armstrong likes to play off the last man, and this worked. With Murphy playing, Maddison's head in Norwich, and Cole past it, you don't see as much of this from them. We also at one point substituted intelligence for pace in the midfield, and that's been a big part of the problem.

skybluetony176

So does that mean it hit that short term limit and the players suddenly started being awful?

I can understand for a business over long term as in years it would help.

I don't think it will make things change within a matter of weeks.

I can understand if a manager throws a squad together and they need time to click and work together. That goes against the way it has worked for us.

I know what you're saying Nick but at the end of the day the team was bulked up with new players for this season (no stability) and once we lost a few players through injuries and a loan call back the relacements that came in as part of that incosistancy couldn't help the team sustain the early pace because of the lack of stability.

If we had a stable squad of players that meant we had players who have trained for a good while together, have a better understanding of the style of football we want to play, how they individually understand what they have to do and what their team mates can do when you get a RJ go sick or a RK go home you should have players already in the mould of what you're trying to achieve to step in and keep some consistancy.

How many different players have played for us this season? How does that compare to the likes of Walsall, Burton etc mentioned in the OP.

Mcbean

Do we have big names ? Joe Cole maybe - Ricketts - Bigi ( No) - consistency and fitness - fitter players seem to have less injuries - Big back four - how many times have we cried that we were getting bullied this season - many times - witness Lameirias and Maddision - very lightweight really

Loss of Jim - made a big difference even as an impact player

excuses endless - but just didnt cut it PUSB

Nick

Administrator
I know what you're saying Nick but at the end of the day the team was bulked up with new players for this season (no stability) and once we lost a few players through injuries and a loan call back the relacements that came in as part of that incosistancy couldn't help the team sustain the early pace because of the lack of stability.

If we had a stable squad of players that meant we had players who have trained for a good while together, have a better understanding of the style of football we want to play, how they individually understand what they have to do and what their team mates can do when you get a RJ go sick or a RK go home you should have players already in the mould of what you're trying to achieve to step in and keep some consistancy.

How many different players have played for us this season? How does that compare to the likes of Walsall, Burton etc mentioned in the OP.

So maybe it is our style of play then? As when the players had just got together we got results?

As they have learnt it we have got worse.

It could also explain why players who seem to come in do well and then drop off.

skybluetony176

So maybe it is our style of play then? As when the players had just got together we got results?

As they have learnt it we have got worse.

It could also explain why players who seem to come in do well and then drop off.

Our style of play now is nothing like at the start of the season. It's changed and that again is a good definition of instability. We could probably debate the why's and when's of why it's changed for days but for me personally it all points back to the instability in the squad.

Grendel

Our style of play now is nothing like at the start of the season. It's changed and that again is a good definition of instability. We could probably debate the why's and when's of why it's changed for days but for me personally it all points back to the instability in the squad.

Our formation has never changed. We've always had one upfront, always had several players fighting for the number 10 spot, never deployed real wingers until Jones, always made wide players cut inside, always made defenders distribute from goal keeps.

We haven't changed formation at all.

Also we've had 8 players appear in over 85% of games this season. That's pretty stable to me.

skybluetony176

Our formation has never changed. We've always had one upfront, always had several players fighting for the number 10 spot, never deployed real wingers until Jones, always made wide players cut inside, always made defenders distribute from goal keeps.

We haven't changed formation at all.

Also we've had 8 players appear in over 85% of games this season. That's pretty stable to me.

Probably why I said style and not formation.

Nick

Administrator

But then again you could say the style of play has changed because of the way Mowbray wants to play, the fact he changes the starting lineup every game.

When we beat Millwall 4-1 the only difference in lineup was Burge, Willis and Johnson to the rest of the season.

Our attack was Armstrong, Maddison, Lamerias and O'Brien (who yes went out on loan but was also here for the bad spell).

One of the main instabilities has been the 3 behind the striker which changes every game.

Look at things like Lameries and Lorentzon, in games they our best players then get dropped the next game. How much instability is down to the manager?

Grendel

Probably why I said style and not formation.

No our style hasn't either. We are still trying to do exactly the same as we were. Nothing has changed it's totally rigid.

One striker trying to move into channels, wide players moving inside, a goalkeeper distributing the ball to defenders to try and link the midfield.

So what has changed in your view?

Are you surprised so many as 8 have pretty much played all season? How's that unstable?

skybluetony176

No our style hasn't either. We are still trying to do exactly the same as we were. Nothing has changed it's totally rigid.

One striker trying to move into channels, wide players moving inside, a goalkeeper distributing the ball to defenders to try and link the midfield.

Are you surprised so many as 8 have pretty much played all season? How's that unstable?

Our style has gone from a committed, attacking style to a paniced, defensive style since just before Xmas in my opinion with the obvious exception of Crewe away and Bury at home. If nothing had changed and we were totally rigid as you suggest surely we would be top of the league?

Nick

Administrator
Our style has gone from a committed, attacking style to a paniced, defensive style since just before Xmas in my opinion with the obvious exception of Crewe away and Bury at home. If nothing had changed and we were totally rigid as you suggest surely we would be top of the league?

A lot of that has been down to the opposition figuring out our system, exploiting our weak links and generally wanting to win games more than us? While we play the same system, the opposition aren't.

Then away from the system you have the passion and desire, other teams basically want to win more.

wingy

I am.
Sounds quite startling.

wingy

Kind of agree but not sure on the word,maybe cautious.
Felt particularly during the Burton and Walsall games we adopted that style, really disappointed me.

skybluegod

I may be wrong, but I would argue that they perhaps haven't had to bring in loads of new players throughout the season, due to injuries? Whereas we have IMO

We have bought in: Jones,Cargill, Stephens, Henderson, Ramage,lorentzson, Bulgarian, rose, hunt
All since January , whereas other teams have maybe added one or two players to supplement the group?
New players have to learn the system mid season which is hard and they perhaps aren't able to adapt to it?
Just offering it as a reason

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread